Course Instructor

MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited March 2019 in Education & Development
Does anyone here teach on the side?

If so:

1. Do they (the school) expect you be a (full time) teacher and not have second job?
2. If you do have a second job, how do you manage full time work and being an instructor? You have to dedicate a certain amount of time to respond to forums posts, emails, and grade assignments in a timely manner. 

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am an adjunct at two institutions. By definition, adjuncting is a part-time gig. Usually you carry your day job to stay as a SME in your area of expertise and then moonlight as a professor. Expectations between my institutions are similar: respond to online posts, respond to student email within 24 hrs, grade withing 7 days of the end of a unit, etc. I always like to go the extra mile so I provide a good amount of additional content and insight to reinforce the official courseware. It does require some time, especially if you don't do the bare minimum. 
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    edited March 2019
    I taught night classes at two different colleges, although not at the same time.  They were both similar in expectations.  The curriculum was developed for me; I just had to instruct, deliver exams, and grade.  Of course, the student counseling was a part of it as well, as they required constant feedback.  As far as juggling my time, it was difficult.  I usually taught 4 nights per week for 5 hours each (we got Friday nights off), and I was still in the middle of my Master's degree on both.  I just didn't get a lot of sleep, but the extra pay was nice.  I was making an extra $2k per month.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    I am thinking about applying in a few months. 

I think it'll be fun. Considering the number of people migrating to the IT and even cyber field, it would be interesting. I see people on other sites struggling with basic IT fundamental classes. Being the person who can help/mentor a student is a life changing experience. Everyone remembers that one instructor who motivated you to do better. Everyone also remembers that one instructor who put red marks all over a paper you knew was going to get an A on. Either way, I think teaching an undergrad course would be exciting.

I haven't looked at the requirements for any school besides for WGU. With that I'll say the requirements for being an instructor aren't out of reach. Honestly, the requirements seemed a little easy to fill. Maybe it's a high changeover with course instructors. Maybe the pay is low. I don't know. But, before I apply I need to make sure I have ample time to mold the future professors of tomorrow!

People from all walks of life are moving over and getting IT degrees. It amazes me..

I don't think being an instructor is for everyone. But, sometimes you have to try different things to figure out if it's for you. Like Kimshii  :/
    edited March 2019
    I taught night classes at two different colleges, although not at the same time.  They were both similar in expectations.  The curriculum was developed for me; I just had to instruct, deliver exams, and grade.  Of course, the student counseling was a part of it as well, as they required constant feedback.  As far as juggling my time, it was difficult.  I usually taught 4 nights per week for 5 hours each (we got Friday nights off), and I was still in the middle of my Master's degree on both.  I just didn't get a lot of sleep, but the extra pay was nice.  I was making an extra $2k per month.

2K extra a month is tempting to say the least. That would really look good in my Vanguard account.@PCTechLinc
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't teach at a school. But I teach a 3 day bootcamp once every 3-4 months. The difference is that I don't have to interact with students after the bootcamp is completed unless it's a casual email or question. The biggest effort was developing the materials for the class. There is also an exam at the end and creating the exam and updating it is what takes the longest for me.

The exam is loaded as a CBT so there's no grading involved which is nice.

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not to hijack the thread but there was an email that went out recently by Cybrary that they're looking for instructors. It was interesting to hear Kelly Handerhan's journey going from making 70k to making 500k a year. Respect to her. 
    DZA_ said:
    Not to hijack the thread but there was an email that went out recently by Cybrary that they're looking for instructors. It was interesting to hear Kelly Handerhan's journey going from making 70k to making 500k a year. Respect to her. 
     :o 
    paul78 said:
    I don't teach at a school. But I teach a 3 day bootcamp once every 3-4 months. The difference is that I don't have to interact with students after the bootcamp is completed unless it's a casual email or question. The biggest effort was developing the materials for the class. There is also an exam at the end and creating the exam and updating it is what takes the longest for me.

The exam is loaded as a CBT so there's no grading involved which is nice.

If I were to teach, it would have to be a full time gig, with full time compensation. Or... at least a salary that makes it worth it. Any salary on top of the salary I already get is great. I just don't think 3-4 times a month would cause for a significant increase in my bank account. 

Once in my life I worked at Best Buy in Washington DC, only on the weekends. After a period of time of getting paid this little pay check... I realized that it wasn't worth me waking up early, starting my car, gas, driving to the location, eating lunch and dinner in DC, and driving back. It just wasn't financially worth it, nor was it worth my time. .... especially on a weekend! It was a good burger spot across the road so I guess that's a plus. 

So, teaching seems cool, I think I would enjoy it but money does play a part in my desire to teach. I don't need the money. I am far from living pay check to pay check, it's just the money would increase savings and investment accounts. I would rather work long hours now, than to have to work long hours when I am in the retirement age...
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't teach anything IT related on the side, but I'm a strength & conditioning coach on the side, I see some clients after clients after work, some on the weekend, and few online!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I was an adjunct instructor at a private IT/Nursing college for several years. It was a fun experience and good for an extra $15-20K year. I'm trying to get another part-time instructing gig in a local public community college district, but the competition among candidates is very tight. I kinda gave up on that goal when I started back to school for an MBA.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are going to adjunct in IT look for a standardized curriculum. I'm a Cisco Certificated Academy Instructor whose curriculum is standardized. It's good extra income.
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DZA_ said:
    I'd love to read what you read about her going from 70 - 500k. Can you pls share?

Kelly was my go-to instructor when I did my CISSP. I listened to all her MP3 training. I've considered working with Cybrary, but right now it seems like they have most of the topics covered. I'm not sure what I could offer currently that would be unique. I hope Cybrary doesn't become a Udemy, where everyone and their mom has a course and you are unsure of its quality. 
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□

1) I have been an adjunct in the past but now I am working on me and my degrees / certifications
    2) It comes down to time management. If you work with the subject on a daily basis it is easier to provide the content. If you teach the same subject over time, you can make minor changes to the course.

Good luck,

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    DZA_ said:
    I'd love to read what you read about her going from 70 - 500k. Can you pls share?

Kelly was my go-to instructor when I did my CISSP. I listened to all her MP3 training. I've considered working with Cybrary, but right now it seems like they have most of the topics covered. I'm not sure what I could offer currently that would be unique. I hope Cybrary doesn't become a Udemy, where everyone and their mom has a course and you are unsure of its quality. 
    I would have to check my emails but it was an embedded video about interviewing Kelly Handerhan from Cybrary, I'm not sure this is the same one but you can give it a listen and it might explain it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7cOmFXDdME

Cheers,
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, I think I came across that same link last night after searching around.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□

Man I hear you about Udemy. There are some gems, but it's hard to sift through all the "sand" to find the genuinely good courses. I'm also with you on teaching. I also get regularly contacted by Cybrary and I thought about it too, and like you, if I am going to do it right and ensure the course offers good value for time and money.