Options

Silly, yet simple question regarding testing.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Since I assume that you are given scratch paper and a pen to work math problems on, is it a problem is I write down the powers of 2 as soon as I sit down, before even starting the actual exam?

It helps me immensely when trying to figure out subnetting problems. I know the powers, but I don't even feel like memorizing them to the point where I can immediately recall them without thinking.

It's much easier to just take the 30 seconds to create the same list I've been using to practice with.

Anyone else do this? Would it be a problem?

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    There's a 15 min information/tutorial at the beginning I used that time to jot down everything I wanted as a quick reference.

So yes you can write down whatever you can think off the top of your head I wrote down the intervals for each block size which helped me.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes! Wrote down all your ports, every command you can think of etc etc. Fill half a sheet at least. Might want to write your sub netting charts up at the start. It takes the pressure off, reminds you of things and saves you time. Cisco doesn't quite give you enough time if you ask me
    -Daniel
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    shednik wrote:
    There's a 15 min information/tutorial at the beginning I used that time to jot down everything I wanted as a quick reference.

So yes you can write down whatever you can think off the top of your head I wrote down the intervals for each block size which helped me.

I just recently took the ISCW exam, and I am not sure, if it was in the material I had to sign or in the tutorial, that said, you were not allowed to right anything down until the exam started,

Just my recollection.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    ^ I have never noticed that, although I have never really read through those very well.

IMO I think its a good idea to write a few points down, and have even seen it recommended in Cisco Press books before. Port #s, powers of 2, etc.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote:
    shednik wrote:

I just recently took the ISCW exam, and I am not sure, if it was in the material I had to sign or in the tutorial, that said, you were not allowed to right anything down until the exam started,

Just my recollection.

That just doesn't seem to make sense if there are legal clause prohibiting writing anything down during the tutorial... It is the testing center that provides the writing material, plus they confiscate the writing material after the exam anyways.

Its not like the old days when they used to give a piece of laser printer paper and a pencil as well as allow it to leave the testing center. I remember being able to take home all my scribble after exams back in the late 90's, but its not like there was anything really worth remembering since it was all calculations and chicken scratch... I usually just threw it away in the trash can outside the testing center while walking to the parking lot.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    /usr,
    /usr wrote:
    Since I assume that you are given scratch paper and a pen to work math problems on, is it a problem is I write down the powers of 2 as soon as I sit down, before even starting the actual exam?

There's your first problem. Instead of scratch paper, you're given a laminated thin card that acts like a whiteboard. Depending on your site, you might get either a dry erase marker pen or a non-finger/tissue erasable pen.

One possible problem you'll run into is if you're given a non-finger/tissue erasable pen. If you use up the space with your pre-notes, then you may run out of available space for your actual calculations during the exam. Also, once you move on to the next question, you can't go back so if you're given a dry erase marker, then it's better to start each question on a clean slate to give you as much space on your laminated card for calculations relevant to the current question. You don't need to keep records of your calculations for your previous question because at that point in time it is already too late.
    /usr wrote:
    It helps me immensely when trying to figure out subnetting problems. I know the powers, but I don't even feel like memorizing them to the point where I can immediately recall them without thinking.

If you wish to pass a Cisco exam successfully, then it is to YOUR benefit to be able to "...immediately recall them without thinking..." as any Cisco exam taker can attest.
    /usr wrote:
    It's much easier to just take the 30 seconds to create the same list I've been using to practice with.

It is definitely best to use a system that works for you but if you practice things like subnetting enough, eventually that skill should become literally second nature to the point where you can "...recall them without thinking."
    /usr wrote:
    Anyone else do this? Would it be a problem?

No, I don't do this. See above for possible problems.
  • Options
    Can anyone else attest to the whiteboard / laminated paper?

It seems I have 3 or 4 people saying you can write things down beforehand, but one person saying that's not really possible.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    /usr wrote:
    Can anyone else attest to the whiteboard / laminated paper?

It seems I have 3 or 4 people saying you can write things down beforehand, but one person saying that's not really possible.

When you sign in, they make you site the NDA, there are 10-15 things, on the NDA,, I think it was on there, but there is also another agreement on the computer itself, when the adminstrator logs you in, that you are supposed to read and have to accept to go forward, it may have been on there. But maybe I am mistaken.

In my testing center, where I have taken 10 exams so far, it is a dry erase laminate with a felt tip pen. I am always told if I fill it up, let the adminstrator know and she will provide a clean one.

Being left handed it really sucks to write on and smears easily.

On my CCNA exam, I left the cap off the pen after using it originally, 45 minutes later, need to wirte something and it was dry.

I think it was Chris Bryant's material that suggested you go to the testing center you are planing to use in advance to verify its location, the materials you will be provided, the room you will be using etc...

It was great advice.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Is there a legitimate reason why they do this?

It seems that if you know the material and know how to work the problems, giving you unlimited amounts of free space to do calculations would be quite reasonable, considering you would have that option in the real world.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    /usr wrote:
    Is there a legitimate reason why they do this?

It seems that if you know the material and know how to work the problems, giving you unlimited amounts of free space to do calculations would be quite reasonable, considering you would have that option in the real world.

I guess they want you to know it in your head. I would suggest you do before attempting the exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Understandable.

I'm going to call the testing center and find out for sure.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I dont consider myself fast at subnetting at all. In fact, i think I am slow and I had more than 50minutes left on the ICND1 and 30minutes on ICND2. I had a 30minutes extension for not being a native english speaker in a non-native english speaking country.

I honestly believe that subnetting shouldnt be a matter of discussion by the time you are considering booking the exam(s). I know this attitude might delay a little the exam dates but overpreparation is not necesarilly bad. Not that I can talk about overpreparedness when my ICND2 score was only 835, but I honestly believe there are many tricky things to have very clear in mind to also have even the slightest problem with subnetting. I didnt use the board once.

I think the suggestion about doing something else other than reading the tutorial is bad advice specially for first time cisco exam takers.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    AlexMR wrote:
    I think the suggestion about doing something else other than reading the tutorial is bad advice specially for first time cisco exam takers.

Waiting to see the tutorial (and NDA) just before your first Cisco exam also probably isn't a good idea. You can check out the Cisco Exam Tutorial at anytime. Same with the Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!