Options

Hobbyist thinking about getting a MS cert

digitalfroggydigitalfroggy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was searching the internet for info on becoming a MCSE when I stumbled across this site on Google. From the posts I've read so far, this forum seems to be a wealth of information.

Here's my background:

I've been working with computers as a hobby for the past 9 years or so. Building, repairing, troubleshooting, etc. I have some previous experience from working with a broadcast engineer for a group of six radio stations. I helped him build and maintain computers for the on-air automation systems.

That last three years I've been maintaining my wife's dental office computer system. It's a very small network of six workstations and a server. She's a fairly new dentist and doesn't have a whole lot of money to work with, so she relies on me.

Last year, using Google and frequent trips to Barnes & Noble, I managed to setup a Windows Server 2003 domain controller on her network. I've also learned how to install and maintain the practice management software she uses (Patterson EagleSoft) along with the various digital xray hardware. It's taken a little time and a few small tweaks here and there but everything is running pretty smooth now. I've tried my damndest to make sure her computer system is HIPAA compliant (AES encryption, regular backup solution, etc).

I know this stuff doesn't make me an IT professional but I'd like to expand a little and maybe do some IT stuff on the side. Maybe move up from there.

I have a two year AAS degree but, it's in Law Enforcement. I was a cop for about a year and a half and didn't care for it much. Now I work for the railroad as a locomotive hostler/engineer. Hindsight is alway 20/20. I wish I had gone to college for IT but I discovered my affinity for computers AFTER I had already graduated in 2000. Jeez, what a screw up there.

I looked into taking some college classes but with the economy being in the shape that it is now I don't want to spend the money. My plan was to obtain the Microsoft study books and take the tests on my own over time. I'm trying to decide which route to take though: MCSA, MCSE or MCITP:SA or EA. I also planned on downloading the trial server software and running it in vmware fusion on my Mac.

I've never had any exposure to a real corporate IT environment with true IT pro's so I've never been shown the difference between wrong and right. Everthing I've learned up to this point has been through reading books and scouring the internet. So, I'm turning to you guys for advice. Is it feasible to do this without any formal college training or am I shooting for the moon?

Thanks much!

Gary

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it feasible to do this without any formal college training
    Yes. A lot of people do it that way.... including getting a non-related degree first. icon_lol.gif

Classes at a community college could add some structure and moral support -- and at the same time let you compare yourself and your progress to other students. Classes also have the benefit of being able to get help from the teacher and other students and maybe even some exposure to industry war stories.

The official training classes are good, but like the bootcamps that cram a lot of information into a little time, you'd want to do a bunch of preparation and study before attending -- and you'd rather get work to pay for them.

Self study probably is the most popular method here for getting computer certifications. While self-study offers more flexibility in study time, it also requires more motivation than classes.

Get the books, some hardware/software, coffee, and start reading (or toss in some CBTs and start watching). Some people use their participation in the forums to get help and suggestions about study -- and others are here for the motivation. Others use the forum as a study break or to get some feedback (by answering questions and finding out if they're right by seeing if more experienced users/posters jump in and correct their answers).

Welcome to the TechExams.net forums! icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm glad I had to get my nachos out of the oven; Mike saved me a ton of typing. :D
    I was searching the internet for info on becoming a MCSE when I stumbled across this site on Google. From the posts I've read so far, this forum seems to be a wealth of information.

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago!
    I've been working with computers as a hobby for the past 9 years or so. Building, repairing, troubleshooting, etc. I have some previous experience from working with a broadcast engineer for a group of six radio stations. I helped him build and maintain computers for the on-air automation systems.

That last three years I've been maintaining my wife's dental office computer system. It's a very small network of six workstations and a server. She's a fairly new dentist and doesn't have a whole lot of money to work with, so she relies on me.

Last year, using Google and frequent trips to Barnes & Noble, I managed to setup a Windows Server 2003 domain controller on her network. I've also learned how to install and maintain the practice management software she uses (Patterson EagleSoft) along with the various digital xray hardware. It's taken a little time and a few small tweaks here and there but everything is running pretty smooth now. I've tried my damndest to make sure her computer system is HIPAA compliant (AES encryption, regular backup solution, etc).

I know this stuff doesn't make me an IT professional but I'd like to expand a little and maybe do some IT stuff on the side. Maybe move up from there.

That's actually pretty impressive. Most people who want to break into the field end up with some certs but no experience, and they struggle trying to find a job.
    I have a two year AAS degree but, it's in Law Enforcement. I was a cop for about a year and a half and didn't care for it much. Now I work for the railroad as a locomotive hostler/engineer. Hindsight is alway 20/20. I wish I had gone to college for IT but I discovered my affinity for computers AFTER I had already graduated in 2000. Jeez, what a screw up there.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I spent a year or two playing around with 3D animation, and then I realized I didn't have the patience to master drawing (which is an essential part of planning, etc.). You have to take a shot and give things that interest you a try. There's no need to beat yourself up if they don't work out.

Do you have any interest in InfoSec? I've seen people lamenting not having a law-enforcement background when they wanted to get into forensics. You certainly don't need to go that route, but it might allow you to make some use of your degree if you do indeed find that to be interesting. I'm wrapping up a psych degree myself, so welcome to the non-IT degree club ;)
    I looked into taking some college classes but with the economy being in the shape that it is now I don't want to spend the money. My plan was to obtain the Microsoft study books and take the tests on my own over time. I'm trying to decide which route to take though: MCSA, MCSE or MCITP:SA or EA. I also planned on downloading the trial server software and running it in vmware fusion on my Mac.

MCSE and then the EA upgrade is going to be your best bet. That path will earn you the most prestigious designations for Server 2003 and Server 2008. Server 2003 will be in the majority for the foreseeable future, so there's no sense in passing on the MCSE.

Instead of dealing with the hassles of trial software, purchase a Technet Plus subscription if you can afford $349/year. That'll give you access to everything with no time or feature limitations.
    I've never had any exposure to a real corporate IT environment with true IT pro's so I've never been shown the difference between wrong and right. Everthing I've learned up to this point has been through reading books and scouring the internet. So, I'm turning to you guys for advice. Is it feasible to do this without any formal college training or am I shooting for the moon?

Hey, sometimes the "pros" don't know what they're doing either. icon_lol.gif Experience is most often the best teacher!

With the exception of the VMware course, which is a requirement for the VCP, I have earned everything else through self-study. I actually prefer self-study, so whichever path you choose to take really depends on you.
    Thanks much!

Gary

No problem. Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're well on your way, you've already setup your own complete network for a legit business which a lot of people can't say (including myself). That would probably put you in a position to do consulting which could pay more than a perm position probably would.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Many members of this community come from the same background.

I turned my hobby and passion for technology into a nice career along with several members from this community :D
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you've made a great start to me. You say you dont have any experiance with a real production network - but you do!!! even though its your wife's business you have setup the network from scratch. Thats a good achievement! not many can say that. You can easily put many positives down on your CV from that. Just i wouldnt necessarily mention its your own business :D - you've installed OS's, built a windows domain, administered AD (New users etc), security aspects, backups etc etc.

I think if you achieved the MCSE (plus a few other certs) you would be in decent stead to make the move across to IT FT if thats what you wanted.

As for studying it seems to me that you are a go getter and would be more than capable of buying a good few books, start labbing in VM's and you will be away in no time. So i would go this route unless you require a timetabled study guide like you do with courses. Through in some cbt's and additional info off the web and your good to go.

I would start at the 2003 track, its gona be about for a good while yet and if your using it then you'll have the experiance to back the majority up. You can then easily upgrade to the 2008 path if you want.

Good luck and welcome to TE.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To the OP. You sound like a self starter and someone with initiative.
    I have been in IT since 1973 and am in the application/database side of things. IMO, the problem with all facets of IT today is that it has been completely consumed by computer hobbyists and computer science types.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You can definitely make it on the self study route. You already have a head start by having built your wife's AD. I'd go with Dynamik's recommendation of doing the MCSE and then the upgrade for MCITP: EA. It's 100% doable on self study as that's how I did it. Go through the TechNotes on the forums here and ask lots of questions. Also get ye off to the library and grab any exam study books they have, as well as more general books about Server 2003. Get yourself a virtual lab set up as well and start working some more with what you are learning. Fully lab it out before deploying anything, though I'm sure it will be tempting. :) By the way experience with HIPAA is a great resume booster especially if you are looking for work in the medical industry. Keep studying and you will get those exams knocked out in no time, and it will feel great.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Unless you just hate the railroad, I would try to stay with that. I know that the pay is better.

As for certifications, if you run your own company, you really dont need any if you can troublshoot and stay current on this and that. IMHO, certs are really more for people that need to be able to demonstrate their skill on paper for HR/Job hunting. You learn in the process also, but experience is the king.
  • Options
    digitalfroggydigitalfroggy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    Unless you just hate the railroad, I would try to stay with that. I know that the pay is better.

Well, I do like my job but there is nothing mentally challenging about it anymore. You're right about the pay. I can't complain about the benefits either. I like TO railroad but I don't like THE railroad. I just wanna keep my options open in case I get a wild hair or something.

Thanks to all you who replied! Your posts have been very helpful.

Dynamik, the Technet Plus suggestion is a fabulous idea. I had no idea that option was out there. That will make life SOO much easier for me down the road.

I think I will locate the Windows Server 2003 study material and pursue an MCSE cert for now. And when we decide to make the leap to server 2008 I'll upgrade my cert then. But, since server 2003 and XP are running so smooth and stable in the office right now I don't plan on upgrading for awhile. :)

Again, thank you all. I really appreciate it!

Gary
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Dude, you have an amazing background, much better than most in your situation!

I think though you have probably skipped some fundamentals that are important.

First snag your MCDST, this should be a very easy task with your background, but I am sure you will learn a thing or two. Goes deeper into supporting desktops, but much of what you learn carry over to servers and they do a great job of leading into it. Snag the Exam Cram books and watch the vids on Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com, won't cost you must at all.

Then you are going to want your CCENT, an entry level networking cert from Cisco. This will give you your grounding in subnetting and networking. Great cert to snag now days. A must on anyone's list. Again, with your drive and experience, I am guessing a couple months of playing around. Snag the Cisco Press book and the videos from CBT Nuggets: Training for Cisco CCNA SQL MCSE VB.NET A+ Linux PMP & Many More IT Certification Exams!

THEN you are ready for the MCSA. 70-620, 70-290 and 70-291. Just three more exams. I know the urge would be to go straight for this, but you really need those foundation elements the CCENT and MCDST provide. This will take you some time, but you'll be well grounded and clearly experienced.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you think he will get out of an MCDST that he won't if he does 270 combined with his experience?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great Job, I am impressed that you were able to set up a domain...no easy task!
    I would get the MCSA and then upgrade to the EA later. I would pass on the MCDST. The 70-270 covers most of the MCDST material.
    You could also add the 299 to the MCSA and get the security credential.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Here's my background:

Thanks much!

Gary

Good luck with it and welcome. I have a degree in History completed in 1993 so I shouldn't worry ;)