Options

Need Motivation

dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
I would like to get some motivations from you guys, I started my ICND1 well on November last year, then I start working on December-08, now I am lacking that desire, strive and effort to study in order to complete at least ICND1 before May 2009.

Your suggestions, opinions, advices are warmly welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My advice would be to take some classes to get a little structure and a time line if you can't study without external influences motivating you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Buy a couple routers or switches and dig in on them. It's more fun than reading ICND.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    dfjama wrote: »
    Hi
    I would like to get some motivations from you guys, I started my ICND1 well on November last year, then I start working on December-08, now I am lacking that desire, strive and effort to study in order to complete at least ICND1 before May 2009.

Your suggestions, opinions, advices are warmly welcomed.

Read the news, current events, economy.... there is no better time to try to better yourself than now.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Read Cisco / networking job adverts - I do this regularly.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Think how earning that cert will improve the lifestyles of the ones you love most. And also grant you more time with them.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    lol. I wish. I got my CCENT and took a pay cut. rofl.

Are you married? Got kids? That should be motivation enough.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go to McDonalds and watch someone make fries for awhile :D
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Is there a better time to hide away and cert yourself up for when the world economy sorts it's life out ?

In this downturn, so many senior techs will be completely leaving the profession and those that dig in now and plan for 2 years time will do very well. Don't waste this downtime ! The future big money earners are digging in and studying their a$$es off right now.

Think that way and by the time this lifts you COULD be CCNP or CCDP or CCSP, etc... Most of the current crop of high money earners (who have been taking the pi$$ in my opinion - £65/hour for a dba ... ffs !) will not survive this downturn, They had it too good for too long.

It won't be the same on the other side of this..... People will need to prove they are worth the money on the other side.
    Kam.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    dynamik wrote: »
    Go to McDonalds and watch someone make fries for awhile :D

LOL

When I get bored of reading, I dig into the cbt videos. They usually bring my spirit up.
    meh
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say stop being a little girl and get back to work ;)

Seriously, if you want to improve not only your job prospects but your earnings then you need to keep improving, no one can do this for you except you.

Decide what you want and go for it. The icnd stuff is a little dry but icnd2 is more hands on and interesting.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Are you having trouble figuring out how to study? I started my CCENT training in the last half of last year and got frustrated with how to structure the way I studied. If that's the case, take it one chapter at a time. I read the chapter, made about 15 flashcards and practiced the commands in that chapter. Along the way I would test myself and see definite improvement that motivated me.

As for other reasons, I'm testing for mine to provide a better future for myself and my family. I also know that in this economy, having these certifications will show that I'm more motivated than the next guy to improve myself and that will translate to being more agressive to get things done while I'm on the job.

With that said, I'm taking mine on Friday!!! So I went down the same path you did and look at me now! I sound like an infomercial!
  • Options
    dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all of you guys for the motivation,
    Your posts here are enough motivation for everyone, without asking further
    However Keep up the good work guys, and I really appreaciate.