Options

Undergraduate Certificates?

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
What is the value of these in the IT field? I realize that today's job market is not a perfect place to ask this, but in the recent past, and current environment, how do employers view these certificates? Would you hire someone with a certificate over someone with a degree? Would you even look at them? Or are they best used to complement a currently held degree?

Comments

• Options
    gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    What is the value of these in the IT field? I realize that today's job market is not a perfect place to ask this, but in the recent past, and current environment, how do employers view these certificates? Would you hire someone with a certificate over someone with a degree? Would you even look at them? Or are they best used to complement a currently held degree?

It seems to me alot of companies are requesting specific certifications over degrees. This of course is more in the Entry to MId level jobs. Most senior level jobs are requesting degrees only however a combination of both would make you more of a superior candidate over others with just degree or cert only candidates. I am going for my MIS degree I have my A+ and working on my Network + next. My goal is to take and successfully pass at least 5 certs by the end of the year mainly comptia ones since the lifetime certs will go away after the year is out if I get my 5 before the year is out I want to get my MS certs and start on them. I hope to have 7 - 10 certs by the time I get my degree and I beleive I will be a prime candidate for a Systems or Network Admin position
    G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »

I think this is a great solution for someone that wants to pursue a specific certification or technology without taking the entire course work for the degree. Additionally, a great solution for someone that wants to gain some hands on lab experience, but they don’t know where to begin. However, I believe once you advance to a certain point in your IT career, that your experience is going to out weight your education. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that a lot of these certificates lead to certifications, which can be obtained by self study rather than through the college course.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Summary from dozens of other threads like this: They are complimentary. You can get by with just certs or just a degree (or neither if you have solid enough experience), but put simply, the more things you have going for you, the more likely you will be to succeed.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think he's referring specifically to certificates issued by schools (Certificates of Achievement, and such). I think they are mostly offered by community colleges.

I think what dynamik said probably still applies to these certificates. However, I think they will be superseded if you complete a degree, and you probably wouldn't put both on a resume.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I personally think undergrad certificates are worthless. I think Grad Certificates may have value, but if I was hiring I would be looking for degrees over certificates from a college.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ah, I thought he was referring to degrees. I'd say better than nothing, especially if you just pick them up along the way towards a degree, but I personally wouldn't go out of my way to obtain one.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was indeed referring to the certificates issued by schools including Community Colleges, and these days by universities as well.

I think these days bachelors degrees are only truly effective as HR bypass. Just look at the number of individuals with degrees who cant find work. Some people say its just the economy, but I see it as also being because a college education does not prepare a person for most jobs.

Mind you this is an outsider's opinion, I have not been to college. However, I see a degree like this. Take several courses during your tenure at the university, many having little to nothing to do with the field the degree is in. By the time a person finishes their degree, they are four years behind on relevant technologies. They generally have very little hands on experience(I rarely see a 4 year degree program emphasizing its hands on learning)

In contrast, 2 year degrees and these certificates offer an employer a person with experience in relevant areas. For example, Certificate in Computer Networking - School of Undergraduate Studies - UMUC (
    CMIT 368 Windows Server (3)

Prerequisite: CMIT 265. A study of Windows Server installation and administration. Focus is on developing the skills necessary to install and configure Windows Server operating system. Topics include support, connectivity, creation and management of user accounts, management of access to resources, the NT file system, and configuration and management of disks. Hands-on exercises are included.

now compare that to Computer Information Technology- School of Undergraduate Studies - UMUC A lot more IT courses, but also a lot of unneded BS (Western Civilization II, Psychology, ect) that a company doesnt really need.

When I look at that degree, I see someone who has a lot of knowledge, but probably isnt really an expert, the cert holder has a lot more area to specialize.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certs at the non graduate level don't mean anything. The Network Engineering Degree I am enrolled in has a "certificate option" (Network Engineer Certificate) which is basically is 4 classes (CCNA 1-4). I know my CCNA means more than that certificate.
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    i agree with ya Sephstorm on the unneeded bullsh*t courses, which is what sucks about college, you go much slower cause then you would just going the cert route cause you have to work on classes that have little to no relevance to IT. But I've seen too many employeers wanting degrees for some reason, so I'm going for it, probably just a two year, however. After that i'll just go for more advanced certs, and hopefully get with a company that doesn't have the "bachelors degree" mindset, and is only worried about whats important, that you know how to do the job.

And to get to the topic, we have those at my school, i'll have the cisco one this summer, big deal, I'm more interested in getting a real CCNA, and CCNA security which is what the schools cert is based upon.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)