Options

How to keep CCNA topics interesting?

Robinhood6062Robinhood6062 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the CCNA and I don't want to lose the knowledge between now and getting hired somewhere. Any ideas as to how I can keep this information fresh in my head without doing the same types of labs and exercises I've always done? IE: making my own networks in packet tracer.

Also, should I start working towards a CCNP or do you think it would be a better idea to tackle CCNA VoIP first?

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you thought about the Army??
    I'm not in but it's just a suggestion.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    I passed the CCNA and I don't want to lose the knowledge between now and getting hired somewhere. Any ideas as to how I can keep this information fresh in my head without doing the same types of labs and exercises I've always done? IE: making my own networks in packet tracer.

Also, should I start working towards a CCNP or do you think it would be a better idea to tackle CCNA VoIP first?
    CCNP will reinforce all the CCNA topics which'll stop you forgetting it all. CCNA:V is really interesting if you are interested in voice and is worth doing if you are not in a rush to get the CCNP. I found the CCNA:V so interesting I blitzed it through in three weeks.

Regarding retention of information, I find reading forums helps. I spend about half an hour a day looking through the CCNA, CCNA:V, CCNA:S and CCNP forums on this site and attempt to answer all the questions asked - if I don't know the anwser I will find the answer. It really helps keep you on form.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    mikem2te wrote: »
    CCNP will reinforce all the CCNA topics which'll stop you forgetting it all. CCNA:V is really interesting if you are interested in voice and is worth doing if you are not in a rush to get the CCNP. I found the CCNA:V so interesting I blitzed it through in three weeks.

Regarding retention of information, I find reading forums helps. I spend about half an hour a day looking through the CCNA, CCNA:V, CCNA:S and CCNP forums on this site and attempt to answer all the questions asked - if I don't know the anwser I will find the answer. It really helps keep you on form.

Hey Mike, did you need any specific lab equipment for CCNA:V?
  • Options
    Hey Mike, did you need any specific lab equipment for CCNA:V?

I did the 640-460 IIUC (Implementing Cisco IOS Unified Communications) exam which includes Call Manager Express, AIM-CUE and the voice components of the Unified Communications 500 Series. All not cheap!!

I did without the AIM-CUE and UC500, fortunately they were easy to remember from reading the Exam Guide and CBT Nuggets. For Call manager express on the otherhand, as it is router based I bought a couple of 2801's and a 1760 for my lab. I then tricked them out with some DSP/PVDMs, E1 VWICs, FXO & FXS ports and bought some Cisco Phones. Probably spent about £800/$1200.

It is probably possible to just use a single voice equipped 1751, 1760 or 2600XM and a couple of phones but I'm a hands on kind of guy so I liked to lab multiple a multiple CME installation with call routing/ dial plans between each router. Having three voice routers allowed me to use two to simulate two company "sites" and the third to simulate a PSTN Telco.

Again, I probably went way overboard on my lab - I think I need some professional help to recover from my ebay addiction!!

• Options
    I did the 640-460 IIUC (Implementing Cisco IOS Unified Communications) exam which includes Call Manager Express, AIM-CUE and the voice components of the Unified Communications 500 Series. All not cheap!!

I did without the AIM-CUE and UC500, fortunately they were easy to remember from reading the Exam Guide and CBT Nuggets. For Call manager express on the otherhand, as it is router based I bought a couple of 2801's and a 1760 for my lab. I then tricked them out with some DSP/PVDMs, E1 VWICs, FXO & FXS ports and bought some Cisco Phones. Probably spent about £800/$1200.

It is probably possible to just use a single voice equipped 1751, 1760 or 2600XM and a couple of phones but I'm a hands on kind of guy so I liked to lab multiple a multiple CME installation with call routing/ dial plans between each router. Having three voice routers allowed me to use two to simulate two company "sites" and the third to simulate a PSTN Telco.

Again, I probably went way overboard on my lab - I think I need some professional help to recover from my ebay addiction!!

Good info thanks. I know exactly what you mean regarding eBay. This weekend wasn't very good on my wallet!!!

So are you looking to get CCNA:W before you jump onto CCNP?
  • Options
    Good info thanks. I know exactly what you mean regarding eBay. This weekend wasn't very good on my wallet!!!

So are you looking to get CCNA:W before you jump onto CCNP?
    I thought about it but no. I did the CCNA:Voice because I really enjoy messing around with Voice, and the CCNA:S as I thought the CCNA is far far too light on security (firewalls etc). A lot of subjects on the CCNA:S are a good introduction to some subjects on the CCNP so I didn't consider it a waste of time studying that before the CCNP.

It would be nice to get the CCNA:S / V / W set but the lab requirements put me off - Wireless controllers, Cisco Mobility Express Wireless, Lightweight access point etc. With a voice lab it is possible to re use a lot of the equipment - I use one of my routers I bought for voice as my internet connection router and use it for outbound telephone calls. The other routers are in my CCNP lab. A Wireless lab on the other hand I would never use after the exam.

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having three voice routers allowed me to use two to simulate two company "sites" and the third to simulate a PSTN Telco.

Mike... how did you simulate a PSTN Telco with your third router? What did your configuration look like. Thanks.

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    I would certainly recommend the CCNA:S too.

. The lab is just the CCNA lab with the ADVSECURITY ios

. Very interesting too, and provides a start to CCNP topics.

Checkout CCNA Security Exam $20 Study Package

That's right, only $20 & it mirrors the Signal Train Videos, just in txt.

Well worth it, even if you are just slightly interested.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    Mike... how did you simulate a PSTN Telco with your third router? What did your configuration look like. Thanks.

~Peanut
    Depending on what I was playing around with at the time I either installed two FXS cards, two VWIC-1MFT-E1 cards of a mixture of both. I haven't got the config I used anymore but basically it was just plenty of pots dial-peers routing calls to the relevant destination port.

So for the E1 ports the relevant config looked something like-
    isdn switch-type primary-qsig

controller E1 0/1/0
     clock source internal
     channel-group 20 timeslots 20-30
     pri-group timeslots 1-4,16

interface Serial0/1/0:15
     no ip address
     encapsulation hdlc
     isdn switch-type primary-qsig
     isdn incoming-voice voice
     isdn bchan-number-order ascending
     no cdp enable

dial-peer voice 400 pots
     destination-pattern 02920000...
     direct-inward-dial
     port 0/1/0:15
     forward-digits 3
     no sip-register

This dial peer would forward calls going to 02920000... down the E1 link to my "site" router. It would forward the last 3 digits down the link for DDI / Direct Inward Dial.

The FXS dial peer would be similar
    dial-peer voice 930000001 pots
     preference 3
     destination-pattern 02920001000
     port 0/0/1

All calls to 02920001000 down the FXS port

• Options
    steve514steve514 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the CCNA exam. I understand where you are coming from. I personally took the next step after my CCNA and began work on my CCNP and then my CCSP. I would recommend you continue on to your CCNP if you desire a career in networking or have a passion for the Cisco networking world. The CCNP will touch all the important things you learned in the CCNA and build upon them greatly!

Another thing I find helps is to organize your notes and study materials into a quick reference guide with some definitions, config examples, etc.. to pull out now and then just to refresh yourself on what you've already learned. Mine have worked well for me.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Have you thought about the Army??
    I'm not in but it's just a suggestion.
    icon_scratch.gif How would that help him?? I must be missing something.... Inside joke?

CCNP will reinforce all the CCNA topics which'll stop you forgetting it all.

Agreed 1000%!

I keep moving forward with the studies, check forums, and occasionally run an old lab from previous studies. I found a good method for exam prep was to have my wife read me the end of chapter review questions and for each chapter that I got 100% correct she would take off a piece of clothing.... Probably shaved a couple weeks off of my study time and burned a few calories in the process icon_twisted.gif
    I think I need some professional help to recover from my ebay addiction!!
    Please pass along the # to your therapist if you find one. I am in need as well! ;)
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I found a good method for exam prep was to have my wife read me the end of chapter review questions and for each chapter that I got 100% correct she would take off a piece of clothing.... Probably shaved a couple weeks off of my study time and burned a few calories in the process icon_twisted.gif

My wife won't even come into my study, never mind read Cisco to me.

At the mention of anything computer/network related her eyes just glaze over icon_sad.gif

Yer Lucky b@s?@~d!
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    10 Tips to keep your CCNA Knowledge current

1. Communication. If you communicate your knowledge, it's helps you to remember it. Try teaching a Cisco class to your cat or dog about one of the Cisco topics. Dogs are okay -- if you toss their name into your presentation they'll hang on your every word. But Cats are better -- if they don't get up and just walk away or go to sleep then you know you're doing good.

2. Spend more time on your preparation. Don't just jump into configuring your lab. Decide what you're going to "lab up" and why. Ask youself what you going to accomplish or demonstrate. Don't just jump in and wham bam configuration done.

3. It's not just about you. What configurations would make your routers and switches happy. Just because you passed the CCNA doesn't mean it's time to stop learning. Why don't you try out that hot little feature you've noticed in your IOS versions that you didn't need to know for the exam.

4. Try a new topology. Configuring the same old topology can get boring. It doesn't mean you have to change your physical cabling, but you may want to mix up your logical configurations.

5. Be spontaneous sometimes. Just jump in and configure a zone based firewall -- and then punch a VPN tunnel through it.

6. Do a quickie. Just jump in and do some quick topology labs on a topic. You've done 'em before and you'll do 'em again -- but these are your basic moves.

7. Spice things up. Maybe it's time to introduce a Juniper router or a CheckPoint firewall to your lab.

8. Make time for your lab. Schedule a "Lab Night" where you can be alone with your lab. The weekly reminder of the passion of your last Cisco Certification could encourage you to take your Lab & Certifications to the next level -- the CCNP.

9. Purchase merchandise and clothing items with the Cisco Logo. The Cisco portfolio you take notes in at work will be a constant reminder of the good times you spent in your Cisco Home Lab -- and get you through those boring meetings. And it may motivate you to get a job where you don't have to sit in meetings with suits -- maybe one where you spend your time configuring new and strange Cisco hardware.

10. When you're done with you lab for the night, don't just roll over and go to sleep. Reconfigure it back to you "standard configuration" -- the time you effort you put in now may be rewarded with more quickies (#6) in the future.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    You've gotta love mikes, posting while under the influence ;)

Still, it is good advice, LOL :)
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    Excellent tips.

I expect to stick around the CCNA forum for the forseeable future. It makes perfect sense. People will always have questions and those questions will help to reassure what you know or what you forgot.

You're giving back by helping, but you're also helping yourself out too...

While studying for the CCNA exam, I played around with BPDU guard. That's covered in the CCNA but not to deep. There's still so much to know.

I like the idea of getting yourself ready to do a lab and ask WHY? What's the purpose? All good stuff....
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Routing TCP/IP books by Doyle are well worth a look. They may be aimed at someone going for a CCIE but really, a CCNA level person could nuke them. I am going through Volume 1 at the moment. Its good because you can forget about certification exams and just focus on learning the technology and expanding your knowledge.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So was that 10 tips for CCNA or for improving my marriage?