Options

CCNA lab- simulator needed

MeditatorMeditator Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am already a CCNA. However, one of the most difficult thing, as I have realized, is trying to retain the knowledge of what I have learned, especially for the job interview. I actually screwed up on the basic commands on one of the job interviews.

What's the affordable CCNA lab- simulator I can get my hands on? Doesn't have to be so complex? I was thinking about the DVD simulator or something simple like that- just as long as I can type the commands in and watch what is going on.

While I was doing my CCNA study, I got to borrow realy life T-1 router and switch from a friend. No such luck anymore since he took it back to do his CCIE.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can buy the one from Cisco Press -- it's more of flash/java type environment with labs -- but it should be good to keep your skill sharp.

There's the Boson Lab Simulator -- still kind of pricy but it works well enough with supplied labs. You can build your own topologies, but once you strike off on your own labs you may find some software bugs. Hopefully it's getting better with age.

You can get a year subscription to networksims.com
    Looks like flash based "fixed simulation" environment that mixes up the IPs and other info so you're not doing the exact config over and over (but you do the same tasks for each one). Lots of variety but I'm not sure how deep it goes into each area (like voice or wireless).

If you have access to a supported IOS image, you could try Dynamips -- with either the Dynagen or GNS3 front ends. You have limited switching capabilities, but it's great for routing practice.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here's the link to the Wendell Odom one from Cisco Press
    CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator
    You can also get an electonic download version -- and just an ICND1 or ICND2 version.

And links to get you started with the "rest of the stuff"

Cisco Network Simulator & Router Simulator

Networksims.com Home Page: The Best Cisco Simulator (Emulator) in the World with router, switch, PIX, and wireless simulation for CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, ONT, ISCW, BSCI, BCMSN, SND, SNPA, and much more

Main -- main Dynagen page

Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial

GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator

blindhog.net has lots of video tutorials to get you started with Dynamips (and the front end of your choice).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Rather than buy a simulator is there mileage in getting an actual router. I specifically bought a current generation router and a HWIC-9ESW switch card to replace my existing broadband router. This allows me to regularly use IOS to satisfy my internet access and lan needs such as using static nat, dhcp, firewall rules, vlans etc. I occasionally blitz the config and perform a complete reconfigure, this keeps the basics in check quite well.

I now it doesn't satisfy all the CCNA requirements but using a Cisco device as your day to day internet router forces a person stay familiar with IOS.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Rather than buy a simulator is there mileage in getting an actual router. I specifically bought a current generation router and a HWIC-9ESW switch card to replace my existing broadband router. This allows me to regularly use IOS to satisfy my internet access and lan needs such as using static nat, dhcp, firewall rules, vlans etc. I occasionally blitz the config and perform a complete reconfigure, this keeps the basics in check quite well.

I now it doesn't satisfy all the CCNA requirements but using a Cisco device as your day to day internet router forces a person stay familiar with IOS.

+1

Totally agree :)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    steve514steve514 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The previous posts are right. It's much more practical and useful to buy a router or two for lab testing in your own home. If money is a problem, you can also use GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator, which is an awesome free Cisco environment simulator I encourage you to check out. I've used it for a long time with much success.

Either way though - get one of the above two methods in place, grab some lab config examples, and go to town. :)