Options

question on layers and ports...

majkowskidmajkowskid Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
first off, when talking about a NIC, which layer does it operate on as far as the correct answer for the test? my sources say physical AND datalink.... which do they want on the test?

also, when everyone says "know ports", which ones? do we need to know just the common ones like dns, smtp, pop3, etc, or other ones like imap4, ldap, nntp, pptp, etc?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    majkowskid wrote:
    first off, when talking about a NIC, which layer does it operate on as far as the correct answer for the test? my sources say physical AND datalink.... which do they want on the test?
    Why would you assume they only want 1 answer ;)
    also, when everyone says "know ports", which ones? do we need to know just the common ones like dns, smtp, pop3, etc, or other ones like imap4, ldap, nntp, pptp, etc?
    All of the above, and more.

If you memorize the following, you should do fine regarding ports:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/coexam/start.php?exam=ports
  • Options
    majkowskidmajkowskid Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well, as far as question 1, my book says "if they ask, go with data link" but i just took 2 practice exmas and answered dl on both and it said it was wrong... it only asked for ONE layer. didn't have the option to enter 2
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you wont have to worry about that if they only put one of those options in the multiple choice ;)
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you do a search in the forums here, you will find several topic about this neverending question. The only entirely correct answer is both. A NIC has both layer 1 and layer 2 functions, so either of these answers is correct, unless the other is listed, hence implied it is wrong. Not that it is a matter of opinion, but I disagree with the book, but that's irrelevant cause the scenario in which you have to choose between 1 and 2 is not something you should encounter on the actual exam. As you may know, we are not eager to disclose actual exam info in these forums, but I really think CompTIA is partly too blame when it comes to the whole NIC on layer 1/2 discussion (they fed it more than anyone else) in the first place so let me put it this way: 'in the past' they offered only one answer........

I really suggest browsing thru the Network+ forum here and check out these other topics on the same matter and you'll see what I mean.
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I was having the same probs too i didnt know what layer to put it down as icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    LDAP uses ports? I thought that was just a standard..?

As for ports, know them and understand them. You won't come across many questions like what port number does this use.

You would most likely come across a scenario question. That would require you to know and understand the protocol.

*POP3,IMAP,L2TP,PPP,HTTP,HTTPS,TELNET* icon_wink.gif

ninja edit:
    Also if you get a question asking you what OSI layer the NIC operates at, I'd choose physical. Even if there is an option for Physical or Data Link.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.