Options

Newbie looking for career advice

graysqwrlgraysqwrl Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about getting into IT/IS and had a few questions.

A few things about me first. I have a couple of BAs in unrelated fields, but I'm self-taught in html, php, javascript, and probably some other stuff not on the top of my head right now.

I'm currently self-employed, but I've pretty much hit a wall with my business and I'm willing to get a new degree and career at this point rather than continuing to pound my head against the wall.

Looking a few years down the road... where do you think the industry will be?

I was thinking about doing an MS through Capella or one of the other online universities over the next 2 to 3 years while racking up a few certifications along the way.

A friend was recommending going the security route and focusing on juniper over cisco. He said that the government uses more juniper and there's less competition in that field.

If you were starting from scratch... what direction would you take?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually you should try just getting your foot in the door in IT now. If you already have a Bachelors degree don't waste time getting an MS in IT without experience. Get some IT experience under your belt and get a few certs and then decide what direction you want to go.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply.

I guess I should've prefaced what I was saying with the fact that I can't quite leave my current business now, but would like to in 2 to 3 years.

So, I can get educated now, and will be prepared to go in on the ground floor in 2 or 3 years if that's what it takes.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are you BA's in?

I'd say cert up, try to get a moonlight job doing some sort of IT support and then go for the Masters. When you do make the switch having a MS will help you, but not really a whole lot for entry level jobs. It actually might hurt you. That's why I suggest you try to get 2-3 (or even more) experience while you are in the wait.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    knwminus wrote: »
    What are you BA's in?

I'd say cert up, try to get a moonlight job doing some sort of IT support and then go for the Masters. When you do make the switch having a MS will help you, but not really a whole lot for entry level jobs. It actually might hurt you. That's why I suggest you try to get 2-3 (or even more) experience while you are in the wait.

I agree with this. An MS will help you, but at the same time it may hurt you. Also, even with an MS don't expect to come into the field as a sys admin or network engineer. You need to be fully prepared to be make <= $30k a year at an entry level job. Just like every other career, experience is king. Certifications are great and help out a significant amount as does your education. But without experience, you're potential cash flow will be limited.

Case in point, the guy next to me has an M.S. degree and makes less than I do. We both work in Tier I for a national ISP.

If you have the potential and don't mind a pay cut, then by all means come on over... but be prepared for it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    My BAs are in:
    Cinema/Television production
    Clinical Psychology

I may be able to moonlight for a small non-profit that I volunteer for, but it's going to be rough. I'm currently working an average of 70 hours per week... so squeezing in some form of education (certs or MS) as well as another part time job and I think I'll have some sort of break down.

Please help me out with where you believe the industry is going so I can try and decide what education/certification to pursue.

Do you believe security will be a strong field in the future? If so, what certfications would you focus on?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    graysqwrl wrote: »
    Do you believe security will be a strong field in the future? If so, what certifications would you focus on?

Security is and will be a big deal. However, don't expect a security job without experience. You'll do a few years at the bottom like the rest of us in either a help desk or network technician role. After you've spent some time there you might be lucky enough to land a security gig. However you'll need some certs such as Security+, CCNA and CCNA: Security. Then if you make it into the field expect to start on a CISSP or CEH or both at some point. But those are advanced certifications. Start with the Security+.

But again, the trenches is where we all start, as will you.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    graysqwrl wrote: »

Do you believe security will be a strong field in the future? If so, what certfications would you focus on?

Security is THE field to be in right now. I'd at least get some entry-level stuff like the Security+. If you have tons of cash to blow you may want to look into the GSEC. I think the best advice would be to get any IT job you can to build up your resume and experience. I would avoid jobs like the GeekSquad and computer repair shops, as those types of jobs only prepare you to do one thing - repair PC's. You want to get office experience so you can diversify your skillset.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would start your MS now while working on some certs.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Certifications help but experience is the winner and they key in this industry is experience, it is all about being there and doing that. Also if you do not
    have any experience show your willingness to learn and show your interests.
  • Options
    I was thinking about starting my MS with focus on security through Kaplan. it's only 14 classes and you can drag it out over 7 years if you want... or finish it in just over year if you buckle down. I know Kaplan was in the news lately, but I think that was only for their recruitment practices and not the validity of their programs.

In the meantime I can slowly begin working on some certifications.

Also, the non-profit that I volunteer for (although have never done any sort of computer work for them) said they'd happily call me first before calling their regular IT. They're a 10 person operation so the problems won't be very big and their normal IT guy charges $50/hour. I told them I'd be willing to do volunteer my time on an availability basis in exchange for being able to put them on my resume. If something is out of my scope, I'll tell them and they can call their usual guy.

Does that sound like a half way decent path to start on?