Options

Bandwidth management based on time

tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Is there a way to manage bandwidth restrictions based on time?

Example:

Let say i want one link to use 100mb/s only 5% of the time per month, and 10mb/s the remaining 95% of the time.
What should i use to reproduce this on a 3560 switch?

Thanks Tom

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Yeah thanks Mike!
    This is the static way to define time-ranges but i wonder if is there a dynamic way of restricting it by some rules like whenever the link goes over 10mb, a time counter increase and then when you reach 2160 minutes (5% of the month), the link become policed to 10mb.

Maybe some SNMP management could do this?
    Sometimes, customers asking weird stuff! For my part, i would throw them a fixed rate for X days, and then another rate for the balance of the month.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Okay.... maybe toss in IP SLA and EEM.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It sounds like your customer has a 10Mbit commitment on a 100Mbit port and is billed for overages at the 95th percentile. They need to either buy more bandwidth or cap their port at 10Mbit.
  • Options
    It look complicated to me Mike, sounds like advanced programmation, maybe i'll read later about it thanks!

Now, imagine i have 3 separate networks behind a nat overload and i must limit the 3 networks to a certain amount of bandwidth per second. Is there any other solutions than policing the 3 nat inside interfaces with service-policy output when the 3 clients download ?

I've thought i could police the WAN input interface, but since the packets entering this interface doesn't know about NAT IP's destination addresses, it won't work.
    The major drawback of policing the output of NAT interfaces, is it'll probably fill queues and much drops will probably occurs.

What do you think?