My own Professor Messer question for 70-680

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Hey guys,

For those that have used the videos to pass the exams, were there specific topics that needed more in-depth study than others?

I do plan on using other materials, like Technet and the MS Press guide on Books 24x7...I was hoping to start prepping for this in November, but after seeing so many folks talking about taking this exam 3-4 times, I think it's best that I start sooner than I anticipated in conjunction with my 70-643 studies. I may end up taking this exam prior to the 643.

I already got Windows 7 Professional and the AIK from MSDNAA (wow, no more warez.....everything is so legal... :D ). I also have access to TestOut, but figure I'll start light with Prof. Messer. Total number of hours are 13 hours, so I should be done within a week with his videos.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    erpadmin wrote: »
    but figure I'll start light with Prof. Messer.

This is the key. As long as you understand that already, you'll be good to go. The vids are great for getting accustomed to what you'll need to know for the exam, and what the deployment options/tools are, but the primary part of this exam is labbing. Watch/read/lab-lab-lab-lab/read/lab-lab-lab-lab

Totally doable though. Have no fear!

- The guy who failed 70-680 and has yet to revisit it. =)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    This is the key. As long as you understand that already, you'll be good to go. The vids are great for getting accustomed to what you'll need to know for the exam, and what the deployment options/tools are, but the primary part of this exam is labbing. Watch/read/lab-lab-lab-lab/read/lab-lab-lab-lab

Totally doable though. Have no fear!

- The guy who failed 70-680 and has yet to revisit it. =)

You advice is noted and I thank you for it.

I am acquiring the 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise (legitimately) after watching the first of Prof. Messers videos. Apparently, Windows 7 Professional will not be enough....lol. I want to play with Applocker, BitLocker, TPM and all of that. Our newer Dell Optiplexes will handle those and I'm going to start dealing with that. I'm about to start his second video now.

I think what I'm gonna do is start the Windows 7 studying now with Prof Messor and writing down the important stuff. THEN...I will still work on the 643 at home and knock that badboy out. That will give me, Novemeber/December to pass 680 and 647. The 680 I want to take immediately after the 643 assuming I pass. That will give me the rest of the coming weeks to pass 647....which I'll have to do by Dec. 31...otherwise, I can't go to Atlanta for WGU commencement.

It's tight.....but I think I can do it.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You advice is noted and I thank you for it.

I am acquiring the 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise (legitimately) after watching the first of Prof. Messers videos. Apparently, Windows 7 Professional will not be enough....lol. I want to play with Applocker, BitLocker, TPM and all of that. Our newer Dell Optiplexes will handle those and I'm going to start dealing with that. I'm about to start his second video now.

I think what I'm gonna do is start the Windows 7 studying now with Prof Messor and writing down the important stuff. THEN...I will still work on the 643 at home and knock that badboy out. That will give me, Novemeber/December to pass 680 and 647. The 680 I want to take immediately after the 643 assuming I pass. That will give me the rest of the coming weeks to pass 647....which I'll have to do by Dec. 31...otherwise, I can't go to Atlanta for WGU commencement.

It's tight.....but I think I can do it.

I would look over some of the 686 material as well. It complements the 680. It cleared up some topics that had not sunk in fully after completing the 680.
  • parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    What material did not sink in just studying the 680?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I would look over some of the 686 material as well. It complements the 680. It cleared up some topics that had not sunk in fully after completing the 680.

I got the Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit ISO on my desktop now. (We're a VL shop...go me!! :D .) I'm do some major homework on data migration and migrate my data the Microsoft way so that I can have Windows 7 installed and all of my stuff with me. No more Windows XP for me....lol.

Professor Messer is very easy to go along....I will also look at some Darril Gibson material for the 70-685/686....I want to take the 680 in conjunction with the 643.....worst case is I fail one/both of them.....but hopefully that won't be the case.

What I'm gonna do is turn my old work PC into a deployment server with the help of one of my help desk buddies. This will be great for him and he can actually take the credit for that when we pull it off. The very first thing I ever did in IT that was meaningful was configure Symantec (Norton) Ghost images and deploy them throughout the network. If we can deploy W7 without using Ghost, this will save my shop money and he can get proper credit for that. The ERP stuff that I do is enough for me, so I can "share the wealth and glory..." I don't need (or even want) to do this, but if it helps me pass Windows 7 and helps a colleague put a feather on his cap, it will be worth it. I can even write a project plan about it.

I'm a bit excited....lol.