Options

Looking to break into IT field - What certs?

Typhon66Typhon66 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have no professional experience dealing with IT, but for over 10 years i have dealt with.

Troubleshooting computer problems.
Instructing others how to fix said problems
Fixing problems.
Network config and security.
System backup.
Router setup
Dealing with viruses, rootkits, trojans, etc.
General maintenance for computer-illiterate people.
Installed various hardware, harddrives, diskdrives, graphics card, sound card, RAM etc.

I have set up home and professional networks and PCs
I am pretty much "on call" to fix any friends/family computer/router/network problems.

I have put this stuff on my resume but i still feel that the lack of work experience and certs is holding me back from getting something. I figured instead of just sitting around hoping i get a job, the least i can do is get a few certifications to look nice on the resume.

I realized several months ago that i have never had more fun with a computer then when i am fixing one. Thus i want to break into the IT field and do just that. Generally that's what i want to do, i want to figure out whats wrong with a "broken" computer and other peripherals and fix it.

Now honestly, i understand i need to pay my dues and such. And am more than willing to work at a help desk or something to start out, was thinking about maybe getting A+ and network+ and then getting a job and get some actual work experience while working on other certs and figuring out which area of IT i actually want to delve deeper into.

What certs should i be aiming to get?
What would be the main cert/s i should go for that would help me get an entry level job within the next few months?
After i get the main certs, what certs will go well with them that would help me improve my job or find a better one?

I appreciate the help, thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Options
    Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do. The helpdesk is a great place to be exposed to everything under the sun. This exposure will give you some direction on where you would like to go in IT. Once you are pretty satisfied with what you think you want to do in IT, work your tail off to get certified in that area. However, whatever you do - do not stay in the helpdesk! - a year or two should be all the time you spend at an entry level position, unless of course that is what interests you icon_wink.gif

If you are having a hard time choosing what direction to go in IT, just pick something that sounds interesting and start along the path. If you find you don't like it, **** it and move in the next direction. The thing that you must do is constantly improve yourself and your knowledge. That means you should get certified and if you are able, get a degree. At the same time, make and sustain professional relationships in the industry as well as in positions that you see yourself in. Lastly, do not pick a direction in IT just because you can make $100,000 per hour. There are many stories here on the forums and other places on how that doesn't work out so well.

There are many certs that will help set you apart from other entry level candidates, but realize that your attitude and enthusiasm at the interview table is going to be a large factor as well. Show them that you want the job and tell them how you will exceed their expectations. You are on the right path, A+ and Network+ is a good start. If you have time throw in a Security+ and an entry level Microsoft certification.

HTH
  • Options
    All right well i will continue on with this path then, i already purchased the Comptia A+ Complete guide by Mike Meyers.

Going through it, just got down with the processors chapter 5 it was all pretty easy up until this point. Do i really have to memorize the differences between the Intel Core and the Intel Core 2 down to how much memory its L1 and L2 caches have?!

About 1/5 the way through the book now, page 250/2000ish.

Also, I'm not getting into this for the money, although the money would be nice. I just love computers and fixing them and working with them. I enjoy it, everyone i know always makes fun of me because i enjoy fixing their computer mistakes! Lol.

If anyone has any advice or any other thing to mention i would greatly appreciate.

Thank you all for the help.
  • Options
    Actually i did have one more question.

The book mentions having a PC on hand to be able to visually see things. I actually happen to have an older PC from 2006 or so, honestly not sure if it even works anymore. But anyway, i was going to use that to look at the insides of it and be able to work with the parts.

However, since i don't think it works anymore, i wanted to use my current PC to mess around with software stuff. However, in fear of screwing something up i decided against that. I know about virtual machine programs and was wondering if someone could refer me to one. Preferably a free one. That i can mess around with, from the BIOS to the system settings, to the registry, etc. Without messing up my actual PC. That would be great.

Thanks.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Burn and learn dude...work on both your old and new PC's. One of the coolest things I had to do while earning my A+ was fix the crap I broke! don't be scurd bro!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest going after A+ and then a Microsoft client OS certification for instance, Windows 7. Most entry level jobs are going to be a helpdesk or desktop support role and those certifications should work out well for you. Network + and further network certifications can wait until you get some experience.

I also suggest going to a local community and or vocational college to see if you can take a couple of classes. You might find taking a class will help you with your certification studies and often times there is some type of job placement where they help you find an internship or a job.

Good luck.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Burn and learn dude...work on both your old and new PC's. One of the coolest things I had to do while earning my A+ was fix the crap I broke! don't be scurd bro!

A lot of my fundamental knowledge goes back to my early teens (or before) and sitting on my parents computer with nothing to do and a curious mentality. Stuff was broken, most was fixable. (Apparently running through the create network wizard without having a NIC or a second computer on a windows 98 machine corrupts a startup file.)

After that came the formal education which I was able to digest because of some of those activities. I think it is really more important that you do something rather than what you end up doing. Just start learning, however you can.

To really break in, you are either going to need to be lucky or get some certifications on your resume. Having both won't hurt either :) I started with A+. People said it was easy and it does carry a fair amount of weight for the types of jobs that you'll be looking for.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Typhon66 wrote: »
    I currently have no professional experience dealing with IT, but for over 10 years i have dealt with.

Troubleshooting computer problems.
    Instructing others how to fix said problems
    Fixing problems.
    Network config and security.
    System backup.
    Router setup
    Dealing with viruses, rootkits, trojans, etc.
    General maintenance for computer-illiterate people.
    Installed various hardware, harddrives, diskdrives, graphics card, sound card, RAM etc.

I have set up home and professional networks and PCs
    I am pretty much "on call" to fix any friends/family computer/router/network problems.

I have put this stuff on my resume but i still feel that the lack of work experience and certs is holding me back from getting something. I figured instead of just sitting around hoping i get a job, the least i can do is get a few certifications to look nice on the resume.

I realized several months ago that i have never had more fun with a computer then when i am fixing one. Thus i want to break into the IT field and do just that. Generally that's what i want to do, i want to figure out whats wrong with a "broken" computer and other peripherals and fix it.

Now honestly, i understand i need to pay my dues and such. And am more than willing to work at a help desk or something to start out, was thinking about maybe getting A+ and network+ and then getting a job and get some actual work experience while working on other certs and figuring out which area of IT i actually want to delve deeper into.

What certs should i be aiming to get?
    What would be the main cert/s i should go for that would help me get an entry level job within the next few months?
    After i get the main certs, what certs will go well with them that would help me improve my job or find a better one?

I appreciate the help, thanks in advanced.

I would say you already have lots of Professional IT experience. You just need to get it over on your CV.
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I would say you already have lots of Professional IT experience. You just need to get it over on your CV.

How would you put personal experience on a CV? This guy sounds similar to me. If any of my friends/family ask me to troubleshoot their computer, I'm normally able to fix the problem (except one where they didn't use a surge protector. lighting kills).
  • Options
    RemiarnRemiarn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went to Sullivan University for 2 years and graduated with only a "System Support and Administration with Security options"(working on my A+ still after a year but life stuff has got in the way). I worked 6 months in tier 2 tech support for sprint then another 3 for Humana which was enough for me to land a job for another company installing monitors for Lowes around the state. Now I am working for dell as a field tech(working on their certs lol) even though it said you need to have +A for the job. I say while you work on your A+ try and find a job in a call center for tech support and get it out of the way.

I seem to get a lot more job offers from monsters/careebuilder with just the experience alone so hopefully once I pass my dell certs and I work on my A+ again. Hope you find what your looking for but don't give up and I think you have enough experience to talk your way into a entry level job or a higher level tech support in a call center maybe. GL~
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »

+1

I agree with this completely.