PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    if the trend continues, I feel sorry for any poor souls who are still around in 2020 or 2025 or 2100... ;)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is this "page" of which you speak? On my Kindle we have locations...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL powerfool have you not updated? When you hit menu it gives you a round about answer as to what page you are on ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    can we set it back to the 10k challenge... i don't think the extra 1k pages is appealing to many people. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    LOL powerfool have you not updated? When you hit menu it gives you a round about answer as to what page you are on ;)

Thanks for that. I'm still figuring out all the features :)
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I'm just shy of 18k for this year. With starting WGU next week, I expect to hit 12k by July. My goal is 60 CUs in 6 months. That's only 200 pages per CU.
  • Options
    XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How do you count/validate the pages? Is it the total number of 'registered' pages in the book or do you count from e.g. page 48, where page 1 of chapter 1 starts?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dontstop wrote: »
    can we set it back to the 10k challenge... i don't think the extra 1k pages is appealing to many people. icon_study.gif

It never left the 10K page.

If you want to read more, and most of us do, read more.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Xantcha wrote: »
    How do you count/validate the pages? Is it the total number of 'registered' pages in the book or do you count from e.g. page 48, where page 1 of chapter 1 starts?

Count things that can be counted as a page of text.

Index and table of contents don't count as they are guides, but if you were desperate for count, I suppose those could be counted as well. Back when it started, the goal was to read books (pages) of published material. Websites did not count. E-books do count.

Basically, look at total page count of a book, and use that (again, minus the index. Tabe of contents are rarely counted as a page they are i, ii, etc..)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So we continuing the trend or what?

More importantly, did anyone complete the challenge this year? Maybe I missed a thread.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think some people did complete it last year. I didn't see it early enough last year to do it, but I figure if I get accepted for my Masters I will be doing a lot of reading so why not do the challenge? 12000 is a good number as it adds up to about a book a week.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    More importantly, did anyone complete the challenge this year? Maybe I missed a thread.

I don't think we are (as a whole) as good about reporting in where we are in the reading cycle.

Personally, yes, I reached the goal around August/Sept, but have continued reading and probably around 20K, but I've stopped counting for this year icon_sad.gif

How about you?
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have read about 4,000 pages. Several financial and Six Sigma books. I also read Rita's PMP study guide and now I am onto the PMBOK.

Must pass PMP this time.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I was going strong on it for this year, then in July my work opened up the floodgates for OT. So that really tanked my reading. I need to update my count, I have several CCNA books to add, but I'm not gonna crack 11k.

And I'm just adding whole books, whatever Amazon lists the page count as goes in my total.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm amazed when i look at my reading list; so many books can be read in a single year. From what i have read and seen, if you read 4-5 books a year you are already way ahead of most other people in the field. There seems to be a general consensus that people are just not reading enough anymore which is quite sad, looking at my reading list i only need to read about ~29 pages a day to complete my goal of 19 books. So much knowledge for so little effort per/day.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So we continuing the trend or what?

hell no! lol

to much work projects and cert studying doesnt come close to 12k
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX