Options

end of consoling gaming

sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys

interesting article about Game consoling. It looks like more companies try to lock up piracy, more it becomes attaractive.

Say hello to the brave new world of console gaming | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games
working on CCNA

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,053 Admin
    Console gaming is catching up to the leased software model used for years now by online PC games. Pay a monthly or annual subscription fee or your game client won't connect to its game server. The next step will be to get console people to buy all of their games online through their consoles, like PC gamers already do through services like Steam.
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    There's something special about holding a new game package at the store and saving up $ for one as a teenager. I miss the carefree days of SNES and arcade games. It ain't the same with streaming and whatnot peeps got going these days. Instant replay, on-demand, click-n-play(pay), or whatever they call it now take away the excitement that makes gaming pure and excitable even before Level 1. These days graphics and sound get ever fancier, but quality rarer than rare. Contra, Mortal Kombat II, Tekken 4, King Kong, anyone? Sigh. Nostalgia =)
  • Options
    So now games will be just leasing games.

JDMurray, Can I connect you to my linkedin? I sent you an invitation, if you don't mind

thanks
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    Nostalgic anticipation and tactile sensation has been replaced by the (near) instant gratification enabled by online credit card purchases and high speed downloads. I, for one, hope to never go back to the time-consuming drudgery of un/loading multiple CDs/DVDs needed to install a computer game.

[QUOTE="sys_teck"
    ]JDMurray, Can I connect you to my linkedin? I sent you an invitation, if you don't mind[/QUOTE]
    But of course!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I read something about this a few days ago. If they do away with used games and backwards compatibility, I don't think i'll be purchasing the next gen consoles. I made it a point to purchase a launch PS3, still had quite a few PS2 games that I hadn't finished. I really don't have the time or desire to keep up like I used to, I find myself purchasing titles 2-3 years after release and enjoying the heck out of them just as much. With the advent of mandatory multiplayer in some games, this completely takes them off of my list of games to play. Then again, i'm not really their target market anymore.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure why this is the end of console gaming because PC gaming is already at this point.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Nostalgic anticipation and tactile sensation has been replaced by the (near) instant gratification ...snip...

I can't say I agree. Not all of us have 100Mbit download speeds - mine's 3Mbit. It's still faster for me to go to the store, grab a hard copy of the game and install it than wait 12 hours for it to download - and then wait 12 hours if I come back to the game a year later, or have to reinstall.

I'll take DVDs and the chance to play offline any day.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Yeah for me if I buy a game on Steam I just assume I am going to let it download when I go to bed and play it tomorrow. It takes several hours but compared to going to Best Buy, load and check for a patch going to the store is still quicker.

I still end up buying off of Steam anyways because I am not dying to play a game asap and most of my physical game purchases are for console now a days.
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    There's something special about holding a new game package at the store and saving up $ for one as a teenager. ...snip....

I agree. Man the N64 had so many great games for it, same with gamecube. I just find that so many games today require no skill. Take Call of Duty for example. I could be a "pro" COD player in a 2 weeks, if I played everyday. Try playing Counter-Strike: Source at a high level...
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got the wii, ps3 and psp, I haven't touched any of these for almost a year but i will say this the day they stop making games i could walk into the store look at the cover and smile is the day i quit gaming. I have spoken.

There's nothing more unique than waiting for the mail man or walking into the local game store chatting with the guy/lady behind the counter and taking your game home only to drool at the package just by opening it.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I agree that used game stores are on their way out and that makes me very, very sad. However, I have thought for a long time that the industry needs to step up and stop fighting the used game market. Instead they should capitalize it. Game rentals can be made through the console and they never have to worry about the games not being returned, which is a major expense for rental stores.

Also, without having to print, package, and ship the tons of plastic every year, the price of games should come down. Now I am not so delusional to think this would ever happen, the entertainment industry is one greedy motherf'er, but that is just another reason they should be doing this.

On the other hand, I do so hate having to wait on the download for a game you may not even like.

I don't see this as the death of consoles, but instead the rebirth. When the PS3 was released, it was more powerful than any computer, as far as graphics and gameplay is concerned, for the price. It was also the best blu-ray player on the market for years.

I hated the idea of Steam when it first came out, but now I'm a convert. It is truly awesome to always have access to my games.

What if your house gets burglarized and they take your computer/console and all of your games? You are out thousands, literally thousands, of dollars. It easy to replace the items if you have insurance, but a lot of your games you probably wouldn't buy again. But with steam, you don't have to.

Now there is also the problem with DRM. No more calling the company and explaining why they need to allow your key another install. Steam knows you bought the game, so DRM isn't an issue.

Then there are game glitches that get patched for free and the the purchase of add-ons so you can keep playing new content on your favorite games.

I like my MMORPGs, so I will always need a keyboard for gaming. My 2nd favorite game type is FPS and a mouse just can't be beat with any controller. So for me, PC games are the way to go.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    I agree that used game stores are on their way out and that makes me very, very sad. However, I have thought for a long time that the industry needs to step up and stop fighting the used game market. Instead they should capitalize it. Game rentals can be made through the console and they never have to worry about the games not being returned, which is a major expense for rental stores.

This is what happens when you have people in management roles who are probably hot heads MBA's who think the answer to all the world's problems starts with funneling more cash into their personal bottom line. It's a very sad state of affairs, particularly when you look at what gaming console is TODAY --- everyone who is involved in designing games or selling them has lived through the golden days of SNES and PS2. However what's really at loss in the competition for cash is the strategic and cultural value of games. Games used to be cherished, memorable, enjoyable, REAL friends-making, unforgettable holiday experience. Now, people know each other by screen names, not first and last name, and most games have their 15 minutes of fame then fade to bits-and-bytes.

Also, without having to print, package, and ship the tons of plastic every year, the price of games should come down. Now I am not so delusional to think this would ever happen, the entertainment industry is one greedy motherf'er, but that is just another reason they should be doing this.

Tell that to the MPAA and others in the contents business =) Price adjustments in favor of the consumers just won't happen just because of supply and demand or efficiency in manufacturing and distribution methods.
  • Options
    All, I wanted to share this article --- sorta relates to topic at hand:

Millennials Are Losing Social Skills
  • Options
    Welcome to new generation of young Americans. For all those tech toys I preffer to read an old fashion book, instead of texting preffer to make a phone call/ or walk to my buddy and talk :). call me an old fashion or old school as you wish :)
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    I agree that used game stores are on their way out ....snip....

It is heading that way already. Gamefly bought out some company that was doing the game rental thing where you pay an access fee. The games are not "Brand new and fresh" but for a monthly fee to play them on your PC it is a great deal.

Pretty much the consumer is determining the direction anyways because sales always climb, people find spending 60 dollars for a game worth it and the market will not change until the consumer decides they value something else more than buying current games.

I have to refrain myself because I have more disposable income but lately find myself buying games months down the road and get them a lot cheaper off Steam or Best Buy and Target mark them way down once they lose that fresh and shiny appeal.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I have to refrain myself because I have more disposable income but lately find myself buying games months down the road and get them a lot cheaper off Steam or Best Buy and Target mark them way down once they lose that fresh and shiny appeal.
    You've just reminded me to buy Half-Life 2... strange I know, I was doing stuff at the time and it was the last thing on my mind at the time and forgot about playing it... BF3, BF2BC, Medal Of Honour are all really short single-player games... I know most emphasise the multi-player aspect but HL2 was probably the last long single-player game I can remember... I must download that tonight, while I think of it!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See it's so much easier to go online through steam and purchase something, versus going to a store and picking it up. It's easier to part with my money if I buy it through online - yet, I know that 10 dollars is still 10 dollars. But did I buy the halloween costume for Team Fortress 2? Damn straight, skippy.

PC gaming has been boiled to:
    1) Always connected online
    2) Downloading the game

All in the name to combat piracy.

I can see the console games having something like the Sega Channel. Subscription based service to download games for the sega. With the advancement of modern bandwidth speed (Which goes to ISPs capping high use people...) I can see it being a very viable option. That and/or crank up the price of the physical medium as a play to make people invest to download their games.

Honestly, I don't mind the Downloading the game. But the always connected is a royal pain. I can't wait to see how much my Mifi bill will be when Diablo 3 comes out. *shudders*
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    All, I wanted to share this article --- sorta relates to topic at hand:

Millennials Are Losing Social Skills

As a Gen Y'er, I have to say that few of the people I went to high school and college with could carry-on a deep conversation. This is something that has been in decline for years; it's only being brought up now due to its severity. The Millennials are also the same generation with 3 out of 4 kids diagnosed with ADD and over-medicated to keep them out of their parent's way.

My point is that there isn't any one group to direct blame for our entire societal decay. We are all at fault wanting to take the easy way out of every situation. It's easier get McDonalds than to cook for myself. It's easier to medicate my child than to deal with his childishness. It easier to not talk to people face to face. It's easier to cash my welfare check, sit back, drink my beer, and play a video game than it is to get an education or go find a decent job. I bet my bottom dollar that everyone reading this can think of at least one person that one of these situations apply.

There is only one answer to this problem: stop enjoying the present for one second and plan for the future. Unfortunately, for society to correct it's downward spiral, it would require everyone to participate. It would require a change in the base thought patterns of every single person: to stop thinking solely about the effect of my actions on me and instead think about how my actions affect everyone. ...but I digress.

Society gets what society wants.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a collector I will always have a preference for owning physical copies of games over digital. I like the benefits of digital with services such as Steam, PSN, and XBLA which are great in addition to having extra space on my shelves. There have been some amazing downloadable titles in recent years for indie games and from major companies. However, I enjoy having a library that I can look at through the artwork and generations of consoles I have collected.

Music/Movies/TV Shows going digital doesn't bother me as much since most of it I watch once then move onto the next compared to games I revisit very often especially classics on Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis/Dreamcast.

2,000+ games physical/digital and 50-60 systems in my collection
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Another reason I'm glad to not be a console gamer: Hackers can steal credit card data from used Xbox 360s | ZDNet

I agreed with you JD
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i personally hate console games. they rip you off so much even after you buy the game you feel forced to buy all the extra crap within the game itself. thats why i stick to starcraft 2. a game that actually takes some damn strategy and brainpower
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 made over 400 million dollars in the first 24 hours. Four days later it was nearly 800 million. In a little over two weeks it grossed over one billion dollars.

Console gaming is going nowhere.

Unfortunately the transitions you can expect are pay-to-play, pay-for-extended content, and single-use licenses.
  • Options
    JD isn't it ironic? The gamers in order to lease a game or buy must use their plastic. Every inter security system can be broken it just matter of time
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another reason I'm glad to not be a console gamer: Hackers can steal credit card data from used Xbox 360s | ZDNet

That's why you gotta use a pre-paid debit card for those transactions. They are really easy to get and you only load on the money that you plan to use in the near future.
  • Options
    That's why you gotta use a pre-paid debit card for those transactions. They are really easy to get and you only load on the money that you plan to use in the near future.
    The problem with debit cards is that if the money is stolen through fraudulent access to the card's number, the money is much more difficult to reclaim than if a credit card was used because the money is drawn directly from a bank account. I would prefer that the CCN not be stored in the console at all.
  • Options
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 made over 400 million dollars in the first 24 hours. Four days later it was nearly 800 million. In a little over two weeks it grossed over one billion dollars.

Console gaming is going nowhere.

Unfortunately the transitions you can expect are pay-to-play, pay-for-extended content, and single-use licenses.

Yeah when ever people say "the end of consoles" I usually refer to the sales numbers that say otherwise. With all the changes with DLC and other things and people complaining I just see that as the last couple of generations not seeing that most of the gamers don't really care. If they did the sales figures would reflect this.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□

Hey... I read about hackers doing this before Sony got hacked etc. on an hacker blog. I was amazed that these sites were making so much money when I read the report. I'm an console gamer too when I play with my kid but; I think I just don't have enough time no longer to play.