Options

Almost that time.

Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
I think it's time for me to try a different environment. I've been looking for a solid entry level job (desktop support or networking) for quite some time now. I've had quite a high number of interviews, but never an offer. I've been working a contract position during this time in desktop support, but not very solid. I kept thinking it was myself, now I know it's not me. I'm confident in my interviews and do everything appropriately. I have an answer to the majority of interview technical questions. I wear shirt and tie, keep it friendly and ask questions. Both recruiters and managers said I did a good interview. I'm planning to move Baltimore, Maryland:D I have some relatives there. From what I see, it looks like a good amount of NOC and Network Engineer positions. Overall, It looks like a good move for my career wise.

A couple questions.

Does anyone have any advice that could give me an advantage when I go there?

How has your experience been with Maryland?
:study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dont have any location-specific advice for you, maybe start working towards your CCNP? Dont put it in your resume or anything, but during the interview tell the interviewer that you are studying for it. Just goes to show you want to progress your career and arent held back by the lack of a NOC/network admin job. Brush up on those topics that you fail to answer questions on?

Good luck with whatever you do though!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Sadly, I never had an interview for a NOC or Network Engineer position, all desktop support so far. My area has very minimal network jobs, when there is, it's mostly for senior level. CCNP is on my hit list, but at the moment I'm taking a CCNA Voice course. As far as questions that I miss, it's usually small windows stuff I haven't notice (things I use, but didn't notice that I knew it). My strength is networking, so if can get a few interviews for a NOC or network job, I believe I can get an offer.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    This is exactly where I find myself as well. My area just doesn't have the networking jobs available and I have spent most of this year looking for a job. I get a few interviews and I always do well on the technical interviews, but I lack the day to day experience doing the job. When it comes down to it the experience is the important thing for the small employers in my area. Many of the experienced people don't even have a single certification either. They have just been doing the job for 15-20 years.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I live in the baltimore area. Social security has one of its NOC's here, and there are a few other places that have some decent jobs available. Of course the most jobs are near the ft meade area and even more if your willing to travel into DC. The downside is most of those require a clearance. If your willing to go to the Nova area there are a lot more noc jobs that don't require a clearance as a lot of peering goes on in that area. I think you should be able to find something without too much fuss. Salary is the only thing that seems to be a problem in this area. In DC a high end engineer can get close to 170K, in Baltimore the same engineer they want to stop at 100K.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Thanks for info shodown. I'm going to be a little flexible as far job location.

I don't have a degree yet, do you think I can get away with it for a little bit?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I don't have one either
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    What exactly are you applying for? You say desktop support but that can mean a lot of things. Just because a job is desktop support doesn't mean you are qualified for the job. CCNA won't help you with desktop support and from you list of certifications the only other thing you have is A+. And with no experience it's going to be hard to get into a good desktop support role.

Have you thought about getting some Microsoft certifications?
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    I have a year and a half of experience. I apply only for jobs I qualify for. I dislike help desk and field support, that's why I'm going to move to an area with noc's. As far as Microsoft certs, maybe in the future.
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Since your moving to a new area, I suggest checking out this site to network with other people in the info tech field. Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    You might also try joining Linkedin to do some networking.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    I have an account.
  • Options
    I'm planning on making the move in February. Do you guys think 3 months would be giving myself enough time to find a job there?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll want to get Sec+ or CEH to qualify for Fed jobs. Getting CCNA:Voice &/or Security is probably better than CCNP at this stage of your career.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    I'm definitely getting Security+ and CCNA:Security. Not sure if I want to get CCNA:Voice, but I'm taking a course at school for it right now.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    look for a job as a NOC tech or Network Monitor, it's techincally networking, but on the lower level...

if you have your CCNA, which you do, look for a Cisco partner, they may be more inclined to hire you to add your CCNA to their collection
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    I'll keep that in mind. As for the Cisco partner, I was thinking the same thing already. In my current area, there's only one or two. They keep a limited amount of Cisco guys, so getting in is really tough.