Options

Opinions please (Which certs should I leave off and leave on)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Recently I have narrowed my job search down to report writing and data analyst positions. I have had decent response rate applications to interviews, but have yet to seal the deal. Some are still going through the HR process.

What I was concerned about is listing my hodge podge of certifications and trying to tighten it up a bit.

So with all that said listed below are my certs and I was hoping the forum could give me your opinion on which ones I should leave off and leave on. I think leaving all on is hurting me, it can create confusion etc.

So....

Certifications
ITIL V3 F | Service Transition | Operational Support and Analyst
PMI - Risk Management Professional
PMI - Certified Associate Project Manager
ISO 20000 Service Management Foundation
ISO 27002 Security Management Foundation
MCTS - Project 2010
A+
N+
S+
Server +
Project +
Microsoft Office Master | Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, Access |
Microsoft Operational Framework Version 4.0

I was thinking the only two I should list in the Microsoft Office Master and MCTS Project 2010

I really don't see the point of any of the other certifications especially since I should have my MBA done by March - April this year. (Which seems to be a hot requirement for Data Analyst positions)

Anything that could be added from a certification point that would add major value?

Keep in mind the scope of these positions are data mining, cleasing, analysis, capture, transfer, query, presentation, etc.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Jumping ship again! :D

I'd leave the ITIL stuff in there possibly to show your understanding of business process. Also the PMI I would think would show good PM knowledge, which can be used in almost and corp position. Then as you said, the MOM and the MCTS should be on there, but they will just back up the MBA and your M$ Office knowledge. All the best in finding a new position!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I would think about keeping the ISO stuff, if the company you are applying to are ISO certified (same logic as onesaint used for ITIL). Also I'd leave the Sec+, it's always good to show you have foundation level understanding of security, even if you aren't going to be working directly in it.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Thanks One and Val

I appreciate the opinions.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You may want to consider having slightly different variants of your resume depending on where you are applying and the job description. For example, if the position is supervisory, I would suggest only using the ITIL and PMI certs. I wouldn't add any of the MS certs at all unless its a hands-on job. I would avoid listing any Comptia cert given your background and experience. Instead that could be a discussion point in the interview.

Good luck Patrick.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N2IT,

Just out of curiosity, do you have experience with being a data analyst or are you trying to get in on the analytics/big data hype?
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    paul78 wrote: »
    You may want to consider having slightly different variants of your resume depending on where you are applying and the job description. For example, if the position is supervisory, I would suggest only using the ITIL and PMI certs. I wouldn't add any of the MS certs at all unless its a hands-on job. I would avoid listing any Comptia cert given your background and experience. Instead that could be a discussion point in the interview.

Good luck Patrick.

I agree, except about the CompTIA certs. If Sec+ is the best you have for security, I would always list it. CCNA:Sec, no I wouldn't list (unless it applies directly to the job). Things like Sec+, CISM, CISSP, I would generally always list one of them. Security is becoming more and more important, and more companies are realizing everyone has a part and not just the IT guys on staff for security. Same with ITIL, my company actually requires foundations now for all staff (IT services company).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    @ Yuck

I have plenty of experience support and assisting scientist and statisticians with data mining. I am close to an advance - expert with Excel and probably run at a intermediate - advance with Access. My Excel skills are pretty damn high and that seems to be enough to get interviews for data mining positions. Not to mention I have taken stats / QBA 337 in college and am 2
    courses away from an MBA.

I've also taken several SQL courses at the community college.

So in short I do have experience mining data and presenting charts, presentations, etc.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just my $.02, but I think you'd be good to go if you list ISO, ITIL, MS Office Master, and MCTS. I think ITIL would be especially handy given the understanding of business processes with regards to an organizations IT assets can be really valuable in nearly any position.