Options

Thinking about attending UMUC

Jad207Jad207 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I am thinking about attending UMUC and getting a degree in either Computer Science or Cyber Security to start my career. The thing is I love to program and want to find a job dealing with website development. I also want to eventually move my career into security such as securing websites, IT Policy ect. Which degree do you think would be more noticeable for employers?

Comments

• Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Computer Science, hands down.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thegoodbye wrote: »
    Computer Science, hands down.

Absolutely agree....
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    It's massively expensive. Hopefully you have the GI Bill or something to pay for it.
  • Options
    I was leaning towards computer science, my boss at work kept telling me that computer science is a saturated degree and everybody has one. I'm not sure I agree with him so figured I get other opinions. I don't have the GI Bill (I wish I joined when I was younger). I do have tuition assistance from my job though so I hope that helps. I should be able to move into a security job eventually with a computer science degree right?
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    computer science is a much harder degree than other IT degrees. It requires high level math, physics and programming. I flat out respect anyone who can do it. Couple that with Info Sec electives and youre gonna do well.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    there school is online based?
  • Options
    Yes it's an online school for the most part, there are some classes in person though. All the classes are 8 week classes which reminds me of the fast track classes from high school. I was worried whether I would be able to learn anything useful or even keep up with the 8 week C++ courses verses the traditional 16 week courses.
  • Options
    damn so the cyber security can't be done online??
  • Options
    Sorry let me clarify, yes you can do the whole cyber security undergrad degree online if you choose. If you wanted to though you could take hybrid courses like half in person or half online.
  • Options
    oh ok, it sounds like a cool degree, i live in CA so i would obviously do the online, and it doesn't look too costly, my work would pay for up 4000
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    oh ok, it sounds like a cool degree, i live in CA so i would obviously do the online, and it doesn't look too costly, my work would pay for up 4000

For out of state residents it costs $500 per credit hour. So $500x120 = $60,000.
  • Options
    I already have a 2 year degree and most of it was an associates in business

I took the required coursework for major in cybersecurity that included the following and added up the units, got 33 units
    Online Bachelor's Degree in Cybersecurity | UMUC

I multiplied 33 X 499 and 16367$

i already have 70 units that may transfer over, so i would only need an additional 17 units, so my total cost would be 24950, then if it took me two - three years to complete, my computer would pay 4-6k, so i would only have to pay 20k. It pays to do lower division courses @ a community college
  • Options
    I am also transferring to UMUC next year. The certs I have and will gain before then will be waived.
    For example, Passing Network+ will give you 3 credits, and thus saving $1500.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    thats a good idea, i should go after that and get security+ (will this transfer for anything?/ an intro course maybe?)
  • Options
    Yes.
    from their course catalog.
    CMIT 320 Network Security (3)

Prerequisite: CMIT 265 with grade of C or better or CompTIA Network+ certification. A study of the fundamental concepts of computer network security and their implementation. Topics include authentication, remote access, Web security, intrusion detection, basic cryptography, physical security, and disaster recovery. Opportunities for hands-on exercises are provided. Course material relates to topics covered on the vendor-neutral CompTIA Security+ Certification examination, which is recognized worldwide as the standard of competency for entry-level network security professionals.

i spoke with an advisor over the phone a couple of months ago. She said all I would have to do is provide proof of certification to get such classes waived even after enrolled I believe.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    thanks, my goal is i guess the last quarter to get enrolled (october something) so I will have to get network+ and security+ by then, security plus should be easy
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I am attending UMUC now for my Cyber security degree, it's convenient just make sure you pick a good teacher from rate my professor because some teacher's I've had were good and some where kind of iffy.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I finished my undergrad at UMUC, and it was pretty decent. Since I was stationed in DC, i took as many classes on the College Park campus as I could. I'll agree with Gorby - make sure you choose your instructor carefully. I had some truly excellent professors, and a few that were obviously working it as a part time gig.

Anyway, the program I went through doesn't exist anymore, I think it's been modified and rolled in to Computer Networks and Security program. It was a pretty well rounded program that provided a good balance between administration and security - which is an important balance when you're new to the field.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jad207 wrote: »
    I was leaning towards computer science, my boss at work kept telling me that computer science is a saturated degree and everybody has one.
    Hah! That might have been true once upon a time, but if anything the opposite is true today.

I would pick computer science every time, but keep in mind a few things. If you know in your heart of hearts that what you want to do is infrastructure support, configuration, administration, etc. even with a security focus, and not program or even script regularly, you are definitely okay without it. Some people don't like coding, even writing basic scripts, and I'm not going to go around recommending CS to those people just because it's more prestigious or "better" in some fashion. It is unequivocally going to be easier to go with any other "IT" degree, and if you're not good at grasping and applying math concepts, you will suffer in any respectable CS program.

If, however, you enjoy (or really think you would enjoy) coding and don't mind math, CS is the way to go IMO. I'm just not sure I would do it at UMUC if it's really $60,000 for out-of-state. My entire 4-year degree will be maybe $25000 or so with books, so I'm a little startled to see such a high price tag on a low-tier school. I could get my degree at the University of Minnesota for less than $60,000 in-state. If the idea is to do it online, it might be worth shopping around to see what else there is. I'd be surprised if there isn't something cheaper that's at least as reputable as UMUC.

Edit:
    Jad207 wrote: »
    I should be able to move into a security job eventually with a computer science degree right?
    Absolutely. In fact, fairly deep technical security would be my own ideal outcome. Keep in mind, computer "security" is a broader concept even than "infrastructure." There are many well-paying, probably enjoyable security positions that make relatively little use of what one learns in pursuing a computer science degree. I, for one, hate putting a lot of effort into learning something that I never get to apply, and that's something to consider when it comes to matching your degree with your career goals. If you want to configure firewalls or be a information security officer, CS might not be the right pick. If you want to be a pentester, malware analyst, or create exploits, CS is a great choice. Haven't looked at the UMUC cybersecurity degree, but most degrees focused in "security" that I've looked at are only marginally technical, and prepare people more for implementing infrastructure security or even doing pure policy work.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340