Options

Most widely recognized/useful certification for working abroad (Australia)?

Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
Now I know certifications aren't the be all and end all of employment, but it does help to garner attention and interviews.

My question is what is most valuable if someone was looking to move and work in another country? In my instance, Australia is a place I'm thinking about exploring. What certifications would help with employment in Australia?

My current plans are:

CCNA this weekend
Linux+ by end of August
Start VCP Stanly CC in August and be ready to explore Australia by 2014.

So I'd be walking into Australia with the following certs should things go according to plan:

A+/N+/S+/L+
BCNE
CCNA
VCP

In addition to the certs, I'll have over 3 years of JOATs experience.

What plan of attack should I take to go live in Australia? Fly there and find employment? Or Find employment first?

Anyone know if there are any gaps in the job market in Australia or what is highly in demand?

Also what wages should I expect to live comfortably?

Anyone who has any experience doing what I listed above is encouraged to chime in.

Thanks all
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cert wise almost the exact same as in the U.S

Need an addy/phone number and ideally tax file number to be seriously considered. Almost no hiring outside the country except mining and banking.

The whole tech field is in demand in melb/syd and to a lesser extent perth. Adelaide is also a decent spot if you're senior or like the gov side of tech.

Depends where you want to live and what you consider comfortable. Each region varies dramatically and housing prices are extreme in most capital cities.

Very little direct hiring almost soley through recruiters. Find out what city you will land in and get a hold of the recruiters there. They will ask you for your landing date as jobs go fast as do interviews.
  • Options
    GAngel wrote: »

Need an addy/phone number and ideally tax file number to be seriously considered. Almost no hiring outside the country except mining and banking.

The whole tech field is in demand in melb/syd and to a lesser extent perth. Adelaide is also a decent spot if you're senior or like the gov side of tech.

Depends where you want to live and what you consider comfortable. Each region varies dramatically and housing prices are extreme in most capital cities.

Very little direct hiring almost soley through recruiters. Find out what city you will land in and get a hold of the recruiters there. They will ask you for your landing date as jobs go fast as do interviews.

Thanks a bunch! I plan to hit up Sydney because there is a large Asian population there (I'm Chinese). How is the "racism"/general safety down there? Would I be able to go to most places in Australia and be safe? I intend to travel.

I did a quick search on seek.com.au and noticed a good amount of Red Hat/Cisco combos. Might throw in RHCSA if I have time.

What would a 500-700 sq/ft studio run me monthly?

What salary expectations would someone with my credentials expect?

Thanks for the recruiter tip! Saves me a bunch of time.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

I am seriously wanting to move to Australia, however I cannot just up and go without having a job. So it's not likely to be able to get in touch with recruiters over there and interview and such while being in the US?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll add a bit to GAngel's suggestions.

Certs:

The VCP is a hot commodity almost anywhere in the world and here's no different. But you'll need the experience to back you up. Otherwise, yes a VCP will be looked upon favourably.

I've just about NEVER EVER seen a requirement for a CompTIA cert in a job advertisement. So if you intend coming here, spend your coin on a VCP or a Microsoft cert depending on what you want to be doing or currently do.

The CCNA is also always a good idea.

Employment:

Almost no employer will look at you if you arent a permanent resident or a citizen. It's difficult to find sponsorship, although I know companies will sponsor employees if they have the skills. My previous employer had a few Poms and Irishmen on their roles, all sponsored. But I believe you have to continue employment with that employer, if you quit or they fire you/lay you off, then you have like a month or so to find something else or pack your bags.

Your chances of finding employment go up considerably if you are a permanent resident or a citizen. It's best if you arrived with a permanent resident visa. Like GAngel said, you'll need an Australian address/phone number/tax file number (TFN) at a minimum. Recruiters wont even consider you if you arent in the country already.

The number of jobs has gone down in Melbourne over the past few months from what the popular job boards tell me. Look at seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au for an idea. There still appears to be a lot of work in Sydney, some in Adelaide too. But Adelaide is boring and there isnt a lot to do. And it gets very hot in summer, think sustained 40+ Celsius. The past 2 summers or so have scorched Adelaide.

Australia's a big country, but for employment, your best chances are in Sydney > Melbourne > anywhere else.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast have great weather and beaches but there isnt much tech work in these two areas.

Wages:

Sydney and Melbourne are expensive cities to be in, prices for apartments in the Central Business District (CBD or what you yanks would call downtown) in both cities are absurd. Your going to need upwards of $40000-$50000 to live a decent life and maybe have some savings left over at the end of the month. My current employer pays every month, my previous one paid weekly. Some others pay fortnightly. So you gotto budget accordingly. I'd advise you live in the inner burbs and pedal in. Car registrations cost $700 a year and insurance costs anywhere from $300 - $1000 or more depending on the car you drive and the area you live in. Fuel is about $1.40 for a litre of petrol. A colleague of mine lives in Southbank (very close to the CBD) and pays $500 a week for a tiny 2 bedroom apartment. Again, what a person considers comfortable may not be so for another. If you are going to go out every weekend, buy lunch every day and go around doing the fun stuff, you'll find that $50000 may not be enough.

Hope this helps.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Did you also consider NZ? I heard that it's easier to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work visa in NZ. Once you are a NZ resident, you can work in Australia as well.
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    I'll add a bit to GAngel's suggestions.

Certs:

The VCP is a hot commodity almost anywhere in the world and here's no different. But you'll need the experience to back you up. Otherwise, yes a VCP will be looked upon favourably.

I've just about NEVER EVER seen a requirement for a CompTIA cert in a job advertisement. So if you intend coming here, spend your coin on a VCP or a Microsoft cert depending on what you want to be doing or currently do.

The CCNA is also always a good idea.

Employment:

Almost no employer will look at you if you arent a permanent resident or a citizen. It's difficult to find sponsorship, although I know companies will sponsor employees if they have the skills. My previous employer had a few Poms and Irishmen on their roles, all sponsored. But I believe you have to continue employment with that employer, if you quit or they fire you/lay you off, then you have like a month or so to find something else or pack your bags.

Your chances of finding employment go up considerably if you are a permanent resident or a citizen. It's best if you arrived with a permanent resident visa. Like GAngel said, you'll need an Australian address/phone number/tax file number (TFN) at a minimum. Recruiters wont even consider you if you arent in the country already.

The number of jobs has gone down in Melbourne over the past few months from what the popular job boards tell me. Look at seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au for an idea. There still appears to be a lot of work in Sydney, some in Adelaide too. But Adelaide is boring and there isnt a lot to do. And it gets very hot in summer, think sustained 40+ Celsius. The past 2 summers or so have scorched Adelaide.

Australia's a big country, but for employment, your best chances are in Sydney > Melbourne > anywhere else.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast have great weather and beaches but there isnt much tech work in these two areas.

Wages:

Sydney and Melbourne are expensive cities to be in, prices for apartments in the Central Business District (CBD or what you yanks would call downtown) in both cities are absurd. Your going to need upwards of $40000-$50000 to live a decent life and maybe have some savings left over at the end of the month. My current employer pays every month, my previous one paid weekly. Some others pay fortnightly. So you gotto budget accordingly. I'd advise you live in the inner burbs and pedal in. Car registrations cost $700 a year and insurance costs anywhere from $300 - $1000 or more depending on the car you drive and the area you live in. Fuel is about $1.40 for a litre of petrol. A colleague of mine lives in Southbank (very close to the CBD) and pays $500 a week for a tiny 2 bedroom apartment. Again, what a person considers comfortable may not be so for another. If you are going to go out every weekend, buy lunch every day and go around doing the fun stuff, you'll find that $50000 may not be enough.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this goldmine of information!

I intend to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa but that limits me to only being able to work 6 month contracts. Do you think these will be hard to attain? I have no intention of being permanent resident there as I'll probably move on in my life after a year or so. I don't mind moving there and THEN finding work. I have enough saved up to live there for about a year without work. Does this seem feasible for Sydney?

As for living, I'd probably stay a little bit outside of downtown. What can I expect to pay for a studio 1 bedroom? As for commute, would I need to get a driving license to drive there? Especially a motorcycle?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If the Work and Holiday visa lets you work 6 month contracts, then great. Most contracts on offer are usually 3 months or 6 months, maybe not exactly this duration, but you get the idea. It's good you've saved up enough for a year, Sydney is more expensive than Melbourne. There's a considerable concentration of tech companies in the North Ryde and Macquarie Park areas (both suburbs of Sydney). I'd live close to this area or maybe in the area if you can afford it. Here's a link to the most popular website for finding accommodation in Australia. > Real Estate & Property For Rent in North Ryde, NSW 2113 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au . Hit this website for an idea of rental prices.

You will need a license to drive/ride there. Car license and motorcycle licenses are distinct items, one doesnt entitle you to drive/ride the other, just FYI. EDIT : A US license will probably be good enough, just dont drive on the wrong side of the road!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Did you also consider NZ? I heard that it's easier to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work visa in NZ. Once you are a NZ resident, you can work in Australia as well.

I haven't, but this seems to be a lot of hassle for 1 years stay.
    Essendon wrote: »
    If the Work and Holiday visa lets you work 6 month contracts, then great. Most contracts on offer are usually 3 months or 6 months, maybe not exactly this duration, but you get the idea. It's good you've saved up enough for a year, Sydney is more expensive than Melbourne. There's a considerable concentration of tech companies in the North Ryde and Macquarie Park areas (both suburbs of Sydney). I'd live close to this area or maybe in the area if you can afford it. Here's a link to the most popular website for finding accommodation in Australia. > Real Estate & Property For Rent*in North Ryde, NSW 2113 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au . Hit this website for an idea of rental prices.

You will need a license to drive/ride there. Car license and motorcycle licenses are distinct items, one doesnt entitle you to drive/ride the other, just FYI. EDIT : A US license will probably be good enough, just dont drive on the wrong side of the road!!

Will definitely check out those areas.
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since we are on the topic of foreign employment, anyone know anything about employment in Dubai and other GCC countries ?
  • Options
    ITcognito wrote: »
    Since we are on the topic of foreign employment, anyone know anything about employment in Dubai and other GCC countries ?

I've worked in the ME

Are you looking at it for the money or weather.

If for the money go east or west instead. North AB, Sask, BC can land you low 6 figures with only basic quals. Newfoundland is also getting the same boom in some cities so a huge fight for talent. You won't make a lot more in the ME unless you're very senior even after the tax breaks. You'll also have to pay cad taxes if you move back before 2 years.

If for the weather or to be in a city although much harder to get into than the ME the off shore tax haven islands like bermuda or caymans are as close to paradise as you can get. Good pay, low taxes only a few hours flight to the east coast.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If for the weather or to be in a city although much harder to get into than the ME the off shore tax haven islands like bermuda or caymans are as close to paradise as you can get. Good pay, low taxes only a few hours flight to the east coast.

Interesting. Never thought about working there, but could be interesting. Really need to get my VCDX.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Anyone else with insight on this situation is welcome to chime in!

I've knocked out the CCNA thus far and instead of Linux+, I'm going for RHCSA as it seems more recognized and respected. I'm also going to get ITIL because my job requires it.

So my new list of certs will look as follows:

A+/N+/S+
    BCNE
    CCNA
    RHCSA
    VCP
    ITIL Foundations

Although my 3 years of JOAT experience does contain special projects of setting up systems and services, I'd say my current job is not all too technical and is mostly desktop support/jr admin.

How would I fare in the job market in Sydney? Ideally I'd be looking for an entry-mid level contract position (6 months max due to work and holiday visa) with a combination of linux and virtualization responsibilities.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    You won't have any issue finding work in sydney. Half the population there seems to be on a WHV.
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing on a Holiday Visa, getting quick bar work then looking for contract jobs or a company that might sponsor. But yeah 6 months is max for one job. I have a more permanent view of staying there though.

Also what makes you think RHCSA is more respected than Linux+? I was thinking of doing Linux+ too but if the RHCSA is better then I may go for this then!
  • Options
    You won't have any issue finding work in sydney. Half the population there seems to be on a WHV.

This sounds good, but would I be able to find the work that I am looking for?
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing on a Holiday Visa, getting quick bar work then looking for contract jobs or a company that might sponsor. But yeah 6 months is max for one job. I have a more permanent view of staying there though.

Also what makes you think RHCSA is more respected than Linux+? I was thinking of doing Linux+ too but if the RHCSA is better then I may go for this then!

Well RHCSA is a practical certification, meaning you have to configure things hands on during the test. Linux+ is a multiple choice exam and is from CompTIA (which no one really respects outside of entry level certs). Granted, you'll get an additional 3 certs when you pass Linux+ which may be helpful to pad resume. But I'd consider them mostly useless except for LPIC-1. I'd do more research if I were you because I'm mostly talking out my ass.

RHCSA also makes it easy to move onto RHCE should I feel the need to in the future.