Options

Who can do ITIL?

webspiderwebspider Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
I am new to this forum and to ITIL certification. I want to know can a fresher get a job with ITIL? I am 35 years old from India and I was earlier working as a salesman in fmcg. Though I have done lots of courses in IT including open-source programming,a hardware course from a local center(long back),then a short diploma from a local institute covering c programming,ms-office,advanced diploma in excel,then a erp course etc etc. Presently I am pursuing ccna.My qualification is a BSc(General) ,subjects were Phy,Chem & Maths in my BSc.There is also gap in education and present age since I passed bsc in 1999.
What are my chances getting a job in ITIL as I have no IT exposure?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
With Regards

Comments

• Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know if I understand what you're asking.

Are you trying to get into IT Service Management (ITSM) with no IT experience, or find an IT job with just an ITIL certification?

For ITSM, I would assume you'd need to have some other experiences to get your foot in the ITSM door (beyond the ITIL Foundation), but we'd need to page Claire on that one - she'd know much better than I would.

For an IT job with just ITIL, no. ITIL is a strong supplementary certification for all IT professions outside ITSM. The only people that I recommend get ITIL first are people who have literally no idea where they want to go or what they want to do, because it is so broadly applicable. It will not help your chances an amount equivalent to a primary certification in your area of interest, though, which I can assume is networking. Your CCNA should be your primary focus if that is the case.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your question would be better posed as, "Can I get an IT position that is built-on/focused on using the ITIL framework with no IT exposure?"

ITIL isn't a job or profession, ITIL is a framework for IT service management.

Basically, any IT related profession can be related to ITIL, be it Tier 1 HD all the way up to a CISM.

You'd be better off to figure out what you would like to do...InfoSec, NetAdmin, NetEng, HelpDesk, etc.... From this point you can figure out how being ITIL certified (along with your other certs and degree) can benefit you in obtaining a position.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Hi
    I have no idea as to what to do and which line to choose and whether I can get a job at this age with just a CCNA in my pocket and the place where I belong to in India(the country where I live at present) seems to have very few jobs for late-starters(with no technical background like engineering or or a degree in computer science) in CCNA field.So I saw few jobs in my country which are asking for ITIL with or without CCNA and this made me think of pursuing ITIL.
    So I hope it is clear to you why I am seeking to pursue ITIL .
    Now please tell me,is it wise for me to do ITIL just to get a job in IT service industry?
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    webspider wrote: »
    ...Now please tell me,is it wise for me to do ITIL just to get a job in IT service industry?

Go for it, what's the worst that can happen? You'd be no worse or better off than you are now, apart from that you'd have another cert.

However... Believing that a basic cert like the ITIL foundation is a "magic" cert that will automatically get you a job is wrong (anything above the foundation cert, you will need to attend a course). ITIL is a "framework", a set of best/good practice for IT in an organisation. There is no set standard, as that is not what ITIL is... It's what's best for your organisation, different organisations will implement ITIL differently.

Added to that, there are many different types of frameworks out there, FITS and MOF to name a few.

However is it wise to gain it? Well if you have the time and the money for it, why not? :)
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi webspider, looks like you've got some great advice - the ITIL Foundation can be a fairly small investment so there is no harm in going for it. If you can, try to take a course or use a book that's tailored towards the Foundation syllabus. Using **** might get you through the exam, but it won't help if you're being asked ITIL related questions in a job interview. In the UK where I'm based, most entry level IT positions are on helpdesks and having the ITIL certification would certainly get your resume noticed. Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    Thank You Madam for your helpful advice.
    Unfortunately,I am not in UK and I stay in India .I also dont possess so much qualifications to take me to UK or anywhere outside the poor country I live in .Apart from a plain B.Sc.(PCM) with no majors and a distance-mode MBA(Mktg) degree I don't have any Comp. Sc. or Engineering degree which I find a major impediment for me besides my late age(I am already 35+) which possess a major obstacle in getting a job even in India.
    I am presently pursuing a CCNA certification on the advice of counsellors from an IT training center in India.They tell me I can get a job but I cant be optimistic and still unsure where it will take me to..
    Any further advice from you or others will be very much welcome.
    Thanks
    Regards