Options

Recommendations for certications or education path

teresa1517teresa1517 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need advice, please.
I don't have the money to get certified, but do qualify for student loans.
My dilemma, is I am just starting (fresh, brand new, green) in this field.
I don't have the time or money to waste taking class that won't help get my foot in the door.
I am most interested in doing something along in the IT field (work from home) for any company but don't have the experience.
Can someone please give me some guidance, or tips on what path I should start with?
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you don't want to take the time, money, or effort to get to where you want to be? Most likely, you're probably going to need all three to make it. I would start with an education. It's not just about learning the skills necessary for your future support job; it's about critical thinking. That will be more valuable in the long run for you.
  • Options
    Thank you broli720. I agree with starting with the education. My confusion is I don't know of certifications I can get with FASFA student loans. Only accredited colleges. I am not sure what path I should take to get a education and job as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    broli720 wrote: »
    it's about critical thinking. That will be more valuable in the long run for you.

I agree with this 10000%. I'm a slow learner, I probably have some sort of undiagnosed learning disability but I'm able to look at things logically and put two and two together to get things figured out. A co worker, on the other hand, has 5+ years experience with the client we are working with but in the last 4+ months that I started my IT career, I've already surpassed him in many things except years experience...
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @teresa1517 - WGU offers IT certification as part of their BS-IT degree - you can get student loans for that program. You will need to do at least one IT certification on your own to get accepted into the program.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @teresa1517,

If you do not have money saved to earn certifications, but you do have a job, stick with the job, save the money and pay for your certifications.

Likewise, keep saving and pay for your college too! Do not take out student loans. If you cannot afford college, then work and save until you can. Going into debt for a degree makes very little sense (though this will likely be debated), but I know several people (including myself) who managed to pay for school and graduate without debt.

Why are you in such a rush to 'do' something? Earning certifications and earning a degree takes time, so make a five year plan and get to work.

From your original post, I have to agree with the advice given to you by Broli720, you just do not sound like you are committed to working for anything. You want it now, and you want it all, and you refuse to put in the sweat equity to earn it.

WGU is a very good option for many folks here, but frankly, you need to take a bit more time and decide what it is you want out of this process. Nothing will happen quickly, it will take time and diligence.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working from home can involve entry-level support stuff to almost anything administratively (servers, networks, etc) if work allows you to VPN in. That, or you can work as a developer from home.

It all depends on your existing knowledge and experience and motivation/discipline to learn things on your own. The best knowledge is acquired independent of formal training.

Heck, there's a lot of free content on YouTube and the WWW these days, and nothing is stopping you from taking apart your computer, upgrading it, and maintaining best practices. And plenty of entry-level Help Desk/Desktop Support folks don't have any certifications, (not even A+), so there IS hope for a random support job to get your foot in the door.

I was working a job that paid just above minimum wage, and I self-studied the CompTIA trio of A+, Network+, and Security+, so over $700 worth of exams and books. I was broke and scared, but I still coughed up the money for those exams on my own. And every cert I have right now I've self-funded.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

If you don't know jack about computers or technology, you can always go into management. icon_jokercolor.gif

(No offense, managers with technical skills.)
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    I thank you all for the advice! You, guys area great.
    However, I have spent most of my adult life in real estate without a retirement safety net.
    I am now 53 and feel that sense of urgency.
    Does that make any sense?
  • Options
    @teresa1517,

Yes, and no. 53 is not that old, and it is not the end. And I have spent a great deal of the past ten years helping folks clean up their debts and plan for their futures, so yes, a little urgency, but no, in that there is no reason to assume more debt at this late date. We are not a financial forum, though there are some discussions about these matters from time to time, but I still would encourage you to look out at a 5 year plan.

5 years is not that long (even at 53) and in all likelihood, you will get the plan done in 3 years or less.

First, what is it you REALLY want to do? This will help the members decide better which paths may be best to pursue. A degree will trump a certificate, however, I know plenty of talented folks without certifications, and a few without formal degrees. You have to be a go-getter and being in real estate, you likely were.

Second, after you decided which aspects of IT you want to pursue, then it can be determine if a certification path makes sense? Or if a degreed path?

Third, if Certification, then invest in a few books, or ebooks, or a library card (to a good library - varies by community), or even shop the used books, and locate a book or two or few on the subject you wish to test on. Set up the exam, take the exam, pass the exam, repeat.

You will find a number of the member have taken exams while working, and this may be something you can work out with an employer. Start at 'x' dollars and with each certification, a 'y' raise. Don't know, but there is room to negotiate.

If you feel the need to pursue a degree, and you may, then consider the options. WGU is good for some people, but not all. Check out your local CC as they may have what you need and not break the bank to do it. Credits transfer, and experience matters in some instances.

First, though, I would make a goal list and then make my plan. What/who do YOU want to be when you grow up? :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    I want to go in the direction of a degree.
    I have taught myself a little, like upgrading the RAM,

Putting in a video card and upgrading the power supply.

I am interested in troubleshooting, but web design or developing is
    also of interest. Then there is a special interest in the security or forensics aspect.
    Which ever way I am guided, I know one thing for sure is I need to be able to work
    online at home, due to health issues.

Keep the Advice, Suggestions, and Great Ideas coming.
    I feel like I am getting a lot of Brain Storming from you guys!
    Thank you ALL!

• Options
    I can't sweat the debt of a student loan, right now., it's all I have going for me! I am not working, can't seem to find a job.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out Support.com. They are a legit company with real work-from-home jobs - see their "Remote Services Technician" posting. You need a decent PC, a good phone voice and the ability to quickly research tech stuff online. When you do their online test, make sure you Google stuff you don't know - that's what they actually want from you!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    @IvanJam
    right about WGU, so....

@Plantwiz
    on to making that 5 year plan.

I am going to work on a AA degree.
    However, I intend to transfer later to WGU and want to (at this point?) go in IT Security.

My question now is: Should I focus on a Networking or what for the AA?

Is that a good path to take to transition into IT Security later?
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I'm not sure you are going to find a lot of security jobs that are strictly work from home. Especially right out of the gate with no experience in it. You mentioned web design as an interest. If anything I would think that would be the straightest course of action for the ability to work from home.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @ teresa1517

Look into the programs at your local community college. A lot of them have Certificates that are less credits than a full Associates and all or most of the classes are part of the Associates program. While working on classes, see if they have options for internships or co-ops. Hopefully paid ones, but anything to get relevant experience.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To get my first certification my friend gave me an A+ book. I dedicated myself to study the material, and in four weeks I went to take the exams, and passed. Having at least a part-time job on the side helps, to pay for the cert exams.
  • Options
    You really would have to expound on the whole health issues thing. Are you incapable of leaving home because of this? Do you need all of your training and initial positions to be remote work? Or are you able to leave home and attend classes and co-op/internships/part time jobs to gain job experience?
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    With what another poster said, 53 is not late bloomer. I am 41 and working toward getting myself in the field. Just keep working on the certs that way you can move yourself up and get that job. Good luck. :)
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    @neo9006
    Thanks for the encouragement! :)

@TomkoTech
    I have had back surgery. Working and going to school online, is better for me. I can't stand, walk for long or short periods of time and no heavy lifting.
    Besides, online school and work at home saves money I don't have.
  • Options
    With the limitations on standing and walking, it is going to be a bit of a challenge. Is this permanent? Or with PT you will be able to go off restriction?

You may find that doing some 'free' work for small businesses gets your foot in the door and some experience at the same time. This way you could design webpages and such on your own time, but have a finish product you could publish.

Sometime attending a Brick-and-mortar school will be more efficient because one can focus completely on school in the atmosphere of school, rather than waiting to log in online. Plus, you may qualify for grants or scholarships as well to a B&M that you won't for an online only.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    teresa, u don't need a lot of money just to start in this field......at least ly the book first...most of the cert books don't cost more than $50 (amazon.com)....then, there are plenty of free videos & channels in youtube bout specific certs & corses....by the time u r almost done reading & researching the book & topics, then buy a one month subscription to any of the sites such as cbtnuggets or pluralsights....watch the heck out of it for 30 days & then cancel....register for the test & take it.....promise u will pass....I started that way & now I've got 3 certs(net+ sec+ & ccna)...currently working on mcse.....u just gotta initiate it by buying the book first....hope it helps....good luck
  • Options
    Honestly as been said on this site all so often, you should look at WGU. Get yourself a CIW cert and apply for them. 100% online. Qualifies for financial aid. You get certs along with a Bachelors. You can do it all from home.(Other than some cert exams).

While doing that you could volunteer with Protonic to get some experience for the helpdesk side of things, or as others have suggested volunteer for local business on the website design side of things so you have a body of work to show off.
  • Options
    @ajs1976
    I have been trying to find classes that have Certs as a part of the Associates program online.
    The only one I found is WGU for a Bachelor's.
    Do you know of any?
  • Options
    @Plantwiz
    With or without a fusion to my spine? I am optimistic that it's temporary!
    I refuse to believe I have to be on pain killers for the rest of my life.
    I only take Advil PM at this point.

The free work/ volunteer is a really great ides and @TomkoTech suggested Protonic.
    I am looking into that today.