Options

Is it acceptable to list the A+ on my resume while waiting on the official email?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm planning on taking the A+ 802 next Wednesday, the 15th; I have already passed the 801. With that being said there are two jobs I want to apply for that have 15th as a deadline. Given this situation, would it be okay to put on my resume that I have the A+ if I scan both sheets that the testing have given me (assuming I pass) and attach them to the application to prove I have passed along with noting I'm waiting for the email from CompTIA?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are they actually requiring that you attach proof of having the cert proof? That usually happens later on, if at all.

The moment that computer reads "Congratulations, you passed..." you can list you are A+ certified anywhere you want. However tan incident a few years ago comes to mind where a bunch of peeps who failed the CISSP exam the congratulations and the ones who passed got a "you failed" notification. Later on ISC2 realized the mistake and reversed the notifications. This was in when the test was paper based but exemplifies no process is perfect.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you pass 802, then you can list A+. no need for attachments and such imho.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    IF you passed the exam already you should be able to log into your Comptia website account and get your cert # if needed. You can also print the paper out yourself, or email them from the website with your credentials.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pass = certified. Period.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    There is no waiting period, you will know once your exam is complete that you passed, well in this case, both exams.

However, until BOTH exams have been passed and you have the embossed paper in hand, NO, it is not proper to say one is 'a+ certified' beforehand. Therefore, no, you will not list it on a resume or such.

If it bothers you, then list the date of your exam with something like, A+ certification to be completed by Oct 20, 2014. Or something similar.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    There is no waiting period, you will know once your exam is complete that you passed, well in this case, both exams.

However, until BOTH exams have been passed and you have the embossed paper in hand, NO, it is not proper to say one is 'a+ certified' beforehand. Therefore, no, you will not list it on a resume or such.

If it bothers you, then list the date of your exam with something like, A+ certification to be completed by Oct 20, 2014. Or something similar.

Agree with this. I would rather be honest and put when I have an expected completion date just in case. I don't think them seeing this or seeing just an A+ is going to make a huge difference but I would rather err on the side of caution.
  • Options
    I agree with the aforementioned posters; write that you've completed the first exam and relay the date you plan to take the second.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes list it. Congratz
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If he passes it the same day he applies, then he holds the cert. I don't think the embossed paper means anything, worst case he can just log into the CompTIA site and verify. I've never had a job require me to verify certs or education either so it would seem strange for them to want to bring your actual certificate in. If so, just print out the copy that says you passed and bring that.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As long as you have passed the exam, then yes, list it. If you are thinking of putting it on before you pass the test, then you could be in a world of hurt should you fail the test and they do ask for the pass letter or number confirmation for your A+. If you want, you can mark that it is in progress prior to taking the exam and you want to submit yourself for the position earlier. Or, you move up the date to an earlier time.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @Danielm

The paper is the tangible proof one has passed an exam.

The OP is asking if it is 'ok' to list being certified...if the exams are both passed and he has the paperwork in hand to prove it walking out the door (yes, later it will be verified online), than it can be said one HOLDs the certification.

In the case of A+ where two exams are necessary, if an applicant has only passed one of the two exams, they 'could' indicate when the second exam will be taken.

Pretty straight forward IMO, if the two exams are completed with a Passing score on both, this question was kinda of pointless, the certification has been earned, and therefore A+ certified. If one exam is missing, than there is NO certification.

Bottom line, we all know, with CompTIA and MS. Exams the second the screen flashes PASS. Or FAIL how we did and the paper report gets picked up on the way out. If there is no paper report, then simply wait until the electronic files all match up, but the candidate is certified with a PASS (or in the case of A+ two passes).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to list it as long as I pass the test earlier that day. Also neither of the jobs specifically ask for the A+ but I feel that it would help me to list it rather than hurt me.
  • Options
    karl88karl88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't bother scanning. I've only been asked by one recruiter for the verification codes. Of course, she never responded again after I sent the codes.

If it bothers you that much, take the exam sooner. If you must take it on 15th, then take the exam in the morning and then submit your applications after the exam.
  • Options
    karl88 wrote: »
    Don't bother scanning. I've only been asked by one recruiter for the verification codes. Of course, she never responded again after I sent the codes.

If it bothers you that much, take the exam sooner. If you must take it on 15th, then take the exam in the morning and then submit your applications after the exam.

Don't worry that is the plan for late Wedneday afternoon and evening. Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long on average does it take to receive the certification in the mail? I know the site says up to 8 weeks but is it usually shorter than that?
  • Options
    Drethyl wrote: »
    How long on average does it take to receive the certification in the mail? I know the site says up to 8 weeks but is it usually shorter than that?

I want to say my physical Network+ took 5-6 weeks to come in the mail. Hell, the email from CompTIA took 2-3 days.