Options

Southern New Hampshire University for a Masters in IT. What are you experiences? Any?

jaycrewzjaycrewz Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ill paste something I said in my first thread, as I think Ive settle on a school;

"Southern New Hampshire University –nonprofit, regionally accredited. I really liked the specialization offerings for their MS in IT program, and the school is brick and mortar…but yet it gets a bad rap due to using a lot of commercials and advertising despite being a nonprofit. From the research Ive done, it seems they’ve gone from a small regional school to being a seen as a diploma mill considering how their online enrollment numbers are so many times greater than campus enrollment. And I’ll be honest, their website left me feeling like it was too easy to get in and that they weren’t much selective. At the bottom of the Masters in IT page, they are throwing out info about not needing GRE or GMAT scores to join…and saying how you can earn your degree in as little as 15 months.

While I like their program offerings, Im worried about a program that seems to push a message that you can finish quick and don’t need standardized tests to get in, coupled with their radio and tv adverts. For a non-profit private school they seem to do some things that remind me of less reputable for-profit schools. "

So as you can see I was apprehensive about this school...but I like their program, and I likely have the greatest chance of being accepted here, out of all of my choices. I had narrowed down programs based on being non-profits, regionally accredited, and having a brick and mortar campus. The thing is that a lot of other online programs had high GPA requirements regarding your last 60 credits (and I slacked my senior year undergrad), or they want GMAT and GRE scores...which I haven't taken.

The plan is get the masters, and also try to work on certifications while looking for an entry level tech job. I just spoke to a friend whos working as a programmer for UPS. No certifications...but he has a 4 year IT degree from a city university. He seems to be doing good for himself...and he had an internship in school that gave him good experience. His advice was to get an Associates in IT at least, because many jobs want a computer degree in our area.

Then he said to also study for certs but mainly try and find any work to get hands on experience. He said that's the main thing in his learning. He actually said what he learned in his degree work was very limited and he'd change a lot of things about how his alma mater did things. Anyways...what do you guys think about SNHU? The program looks ok....and I like that its a brick and mortar with a campus life and all that. I worry about its reputation...as ive read some bad things about them chasing money from online enrollments and ignoring campus students.

Please chime in.

Comments

• Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What was your undergrad degree in?

Which Masters concentration were you going to pursue?

The answers to those questions will affect the advise given.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've read some of the dynamics of SNHU and how they have a very aggressive online program; they have roughly 2800 students on campus but recently had over 35,000 students enrolled in their online program. They are also taking some traits from WGU and opening some of their programs to competency courses. If your concern is to enroll into a brick and mortar school, you are not gaining much by attending SHNU. However, in closely reading your post it sounds if you are trying to get a job in IT then concentrating solely on certs is probably your best route.
  • Options
    What was your undergrad degree in?

Which Masters concentration were you going to pursue?

The answers to those questions will affect the advise given.
    Went to business school...accounting major. Small state college of 7,000 students, whose business school is AASCB accredited. Also the college actually ranked in US News and world report at #25 in their Regional Universities North list. Also, the acceptance rate is under 50%. So for a small public state school its does pretty well in terms of reputation in the northeast.

I had good grades my first 2 years at community college, plus my junior college had a new transfer relationship with my senior college because they are close to one another and also that the junior college had just become a part of the state school system.

Sadly once I got to a university campus I started partying a lot and my grades slipped from mostly As and Bs to mostly Bs and Cs =(. So if I were to apply to my senior college with an Associates based on the grades I got in my last 2 years of my Bacelors, its possible I wouldnt have gotten accepted.

So now it seems Im relegated to applying to schools that arent as selective and have higher acceptance rates. =(

And my masters concentration would be in Database design or Information Security. Out of the SNHU concentrations offered, I liked those two the most. I wish they had a system admin concentration, but a few people have already told me that a database background is very valuable.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't imagine an MS in Systems Administration. It's such a general term/title to begin with. So without any IT experience you might be going overboard on the educational side early. A couple certs and try to get an entry level job, you surely don't need an MS for that. Also, are you very deeply interested in DB design and/or infosec? If not I'd really try to dig into some general IT and see what really sparks a strong interest/passion before committing to a masters degree in something just because it sounds interesting.
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Universities take job experience, GRE/GMAT scores, letters of recommendations, and application essay into account when admitting into a Masters program. Admission into the program is not based solely on GPA.

They might recommend IT under-grad courses prior to admitting you, or allowing you to take Graduate IT coursework.

A graduate certificate could also be used to prove your abilities as the Graduate level, if you do well.

However, as you are not sure of your specialization, it is recommended to obtain work experience, and certs before deciding on a concentration.
  • Options
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    I've read some of the dynamics of SNHU and how they have a very aggressive online program; they have roughly 2800 students on campus but recently had over 35,000 students enrolled in their online program. They are also taking some traits from WGU and opening some of their programs to competency courses. If your concern is to enroll into a brick and mortar school, you are not gaining much by attending SHNU. However, in closely reading your post it sounds if you are trying to get a job in IT then concentrating solely on certs is probably your best route.
    Yeah Im still figuring this all out. Thnaks for the reply.
  • Options
    Updating both my threads:

So I just got a few replies from directors and chairs of a few IT/Computer Systems departments I applied to. The consensus was that a Masters program wouldn't be good for someone like me, who has no prior IT education or certifications, despite my experience and knowledge dealing with computers and tech as a strong hobbie growing up.

I kind of thought this before hand myself, and its good that programs wouldnt just let me jump into a Masters...because despite some of the things I do know, there's still a lot I dont know. So for now I have gotten some materials to begin studying for the COMPTIA trifecta. My community college is actually a testing center and two miles from home, which is great.

So the plan for now is to study for the CompTIA entry level trifecta, while the spring semester approaches. I will also enroll in a Bachelors IT program in a nearby city in order to get more education and hands on experience in a lab. Hopefully I land an entry level gig or do well in an internship while in school, and see what happens.

Its not imperative that I finish another bachelors, but its doesnt hurt to start and give myself a foundation and see where it leads. Plus possibly getting an IT based degree would help in getting certain jobs. A lot of jobs in my area ask for them...even entry level or lower level positions. A friend I went to high school with is currently programming for UPS and only has a degree with no certs. His degree program got him into a good internship program, and he built his skills upon that.

Im applying to the same program and hopefully this all pays dividends. I think I should be able to get at least the A+ certification by January, but the goal is to also get Network+ or Security+ in that time as well.

Wish me luck in all this. Its a day by day learning process and Im still figuring out my path.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not sure getting a 2nd bachelors degree is a good thing. I think that the return on investment in that situation is fairly small compared to using your current Bachelors and gaining certs and experience would do you far better. Many in IT have degrees in different fields and in the end it doesn't hurt them. Now, after you have built up some experience, maybe you consider looking at a masters program as you would have satisfied the experience part that they generally look for.

Get out there, get those certs that you need to land that entry level job, get a job and bust your tail at it and see where you can go before throwing more money at a school. Most jobs look at the education part to tick a box, regardless of what your major was in, but are more interested in your work experience.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed, I think the 2nd BS is overkill. Study, get some certs, get experience in any way possible including volunteering. Get a job, then go up from there. I think even starting a BS, especially if you don't plan on finishing it, is a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. Ill see what happens. Ive already applied to the school. Things may change (likely considering Ive applied late), but right now I feel degree is a good thing to go with certs in my living area. My friend sold me on the opportunities this particular program opened for him.

It wont hurt me a lot to start and see where it leads.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck with whatever course you do decide to take. Since you already have one bachelors, the return on investment just isn't that high. Sure, it may help open up some doors without having any certs or experience right after graduation, but you most likely would get a higher return on investment by focusing on certs and then getting an IT job. Most companies like a bachelors in anything really, and experience is more important if you can gain that now and not wait around to finish a 2nd bachelors. Like I've stated, many in IT have degree's in fields completely unrelated to IT and have moved up quickly as well if they can prove their worth to their employers.

You have a degree, get the certs, job and you'll save time and money in the long run. If you can afford to pay for more education and you are set on doing that, good luck. The degree won't guarantee anything more than you have already or could acquire quicker like certs.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If were in your situation, I'd do the masters part time and cert up rigorously in something that interest me. You're wasting time and money doing another Bachelors...anyways - good luck in your journey.
  • Options
    Regarding the last two responses.

1. I couldn't get into the MS programs that I sought out without a related undergrad sadly.

2. The second bachelors will be cheap for me, plus I will obtain certifications along the way the best I can. My buddy who does IT in our area said that many places want an IT related degree...so it doesn't hurt to get one now. I always read that certs + degree + experience is a great combo to have...so that's what Im shooting for.

If I could get an MS I would....but it doesn't seem like any decent school will take me with merely a business related degree.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Jay!
    What city are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Never mind. Seem like I got a negative rep giving someone advise here. Good luck wasting your time and pursuing an IT degree.
  • Options
    Whats with the hate? Go tr00ll somewhere else.