Options

UMUC VS Capitol College - B.S. Cyber Security Degree

MapmarkMapmark Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, generally on the fence on to which College would give me a better time in a learning experience\ credibility at either School. Quite unsure, which to go forth for, the University of Maryland University College, or Capitol College for their Cyber Security Division.

Honestly, I want a college between these two in the state of MD that would benefit me more in the long run in learning. I understand that UMUC is heard more-so than Capitol College, whereas CC is mainly heard from word by mouth.

Comments

• Options
    Anyone have insight for at least one of the schools?
  • Options
  • Options
    BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently enrolled at UMUC and working on a BS is Networks and Security, which is in the Cyber Security school. I have never attended Capitol College, so I can't speak to what they are like.

My experience with UMUC is great so far. As for IT classes, I have taken the equivalent to A+, N+ and am currently working through a forensics course and a CCNA course. The curriculum tend to use Labsim from TestOut, which are pretty well regarded for IT training. Professors generally have a good amount of experience and have been very available. UMUC also offers discounted vouchers for A+, N+ S+, Some Microsoft exams, CEH/CHFI and CISSP. If possible, I would suggest completing A+ and Network+ certs rather than taking the courses. You get credit for the course, but can bypass it if you already have the cert.

Here are their other options for industry certs: https://www.umuc.edu/students/support/exams/industryspecific.cfm

What other concerns do you have?

B
  • Options
    Can you explain to me how the Online classes are?

I'm looking between the two on which would have a better hands-on experience in the field of Cyber Security, whether it's from their Cyber Battle Lab or with internships. I'm truly not looking for a school that will treat their classes as 'research based' where it's paper after paper but not necessarily actually learning it by doing it in a hands on environment.
  • Options
    Generally the courses require weekly participation in some discussions about relevant to the course topics. The topics are normally in line with what you are learning that week. And, as I previously stated, most technical classes use a simulation software like TestOut. You will work on a topic by watching lecture type videos and then practice what you learned in a lab and then complete an end of chapter quiz.

I would suggest taking a look at their website to get an idea of what their software is like: Online IT Certification and Certification Training | TestOut | LabSim

They even have a 7 day free trial: http://www.testout.com/free-trial-signup

B
  • Options
    radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As an alternative to both UMUC and Capitol, have you thought about just getting a CISSP? CISSP is recognized by DoD as the cheif InfoSec cert, and that would save you from writing papers.
  • Options
    radarlove wrote: »
    As an alternative to both UMUC and Capitol, have you thought about just getting a CISSP? CISSP is recognized by DoD as the cheif InfoSec cert, and that would save you from writing papers.

I'm not sure the DOD was ever mentioned.... Perhaps he is just interested in getting a degree to advance his future career?

B
  • Options
    Correct, I'm actually looking to get my degree to further my career, and whichever holds the more 'bang for my buck', not even that. Whichever can guarantee me a more better education, I'd be more happier for.