Options

Finally in full study mode!

tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
So I've set myself a target of sitting the exam in 5 weeks time, roughly studying 2 hours per day everyday. I'm currently almost half way through Darril Gibsons book.

After the book I plan to knock out Professor Messer Videos and CBT nuggets, then move straight to practice exams.

Would this be sufficient time for this certification and if so can any of you guys recommend specific areas to concentrate on?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed soley using Professor Messer & then Gibson's getcertifiedgetahead website ($30).

No other Books, No other Reading, No Prior Experience.

So... Yeah, after you finish the book, do his website.
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    I passed soley using Professor Messer & then Gibson's getcertifiedgetahead website ($30).

No other Books, No other Reading, No Prior Experience.

So... Yeah, after you finish the book, do his website.

Thanks for the reply, how long did you study for?
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gibson's book
    http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-401/dp/1939136024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438659817&sr=8-1&keywords=Security%2B

and his practice/performance based questions
    SY0-401 Security+ Practice Test Questions | Get Certified Get Ahead

were all I used to successfully pass the Security+ exam in 3 weeks time. Mind you, I studied full time (was during a layoff) and averaged 30-35 hours a week. I can tell you the practice questions were *extremely* relevant to the exam. Long story short, the book with practice questions in a month-month and a half should get this done fairly easily.

Best of luck

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    I studied about 2-3 hours a night for 4 weeks and passed my first time. If I can do that anyone can, because I had a hard time truly grasping some of the encryption standards. I used Labsim, Derril Gibson's book, professor messer and Exam Compass for free practice tests.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • Options
    f16jetman wrote: »
    I studied about 2-3 hours a night for 4 weeks and passed my first time. If I can do that anyone can, because I had a hard time truly grasping some of the encryption standards. I used Labsim, Derril Gibson's book, professor messer and Exam Compass for free practice tests.

I haven't yet reached the chapter on encryption. I remember some from N+. How did you find the exam? I have Flash cards and practice exam from Gibson's app and also a book I've purchased on soley practice questions.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tmcg wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, how long did you study for?

Professor Messer's material breaks down into 6 chapters.
    So, i did a Chapter per week... which broke down to 30 minutes a day (nice and easy).

I would watch 30 minutes in the afternoon. And then, the next morning, i would Rewatch the same 30 minutes.
    (that way the material would really sink in).

After i finished, i immediately swicthed to the getcertifiedgetahead website.
    Passed the exam 3 weeks later.

When i get a chance, i probably will BUY Gibson's book; i enjoyed the Cryptography material.
    Or i might just go for the CEH :]

Shoot me a private-message if you have any other Qs...
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Gibson's book plus a few others. I read 1 chapter a day in his book and then sat in for the test after about 3 weeks of studying.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    f16jetman wrote: »

I just finished the chapter last night on encryption and I understand the problems you had, think this is going to be the subject I need to spend a bit more time on. Does encryption feature heavy on the exam?