Options

Some Advice

cshirercshirer Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Right now im in a slump. Im working as a systems administrator for a college
in virginia. I dont have any certifications ive been here for 1 yr and 3 months i mostly work with novell groupwise email system. but latley ive been working with conifguration on cisco switches ive started off with the menu driven catalyst cisco 1900 switch. but now im asking for a cli switch
but im thinking about starting off getting the network+ but im not sure after that either MCSE of ccna can somone help me out with advice on this one.

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Do CCNA...... Network+ is a waste of time.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did my Network+ when I knew virtually nothing about networking, but since then I have had a few years experience and as of now like garv221 said it would be a waste of time. So if you are comfortable with network standards, cabling, basic commands from the command line, and the such than I would say that it would be a waste of time as well.

That being said, since you are working with Cisco switches currently and using a Novell environment it seems only logical to me that you would pursue your CCNA instead of MCSE. However, it depends where you want your career to go but given your current state I would opt for CCNA. Good luck whichever you decide.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA is a classic. You pretty much can't go wrong with it icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I'd say go the CCNA route.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even though I don't take the vendor exam for 2 more days, I'm VERY familiar with Network+ and have begun reading for my CCNA.

I would say this:

if you have a fair working knowledge of Cisco already, and have the experience necessary to run your network, I would jump on the CCNA.

The network+ is a nice fundamental exam, and I learned a ton. I'm having an easier time digesting the CCNA material because of it, but then again I don't have as much networking experience.

Garv does have a point though, as the Network+ cert seems to carry very little weight, and even if it did, the CCNA is very well known.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    Like garv221 have mentioned, Network+ is a waste of time. The CCNA stuff is by no means very difficult, so you should do just fine going straight after it. I did mine in 3 months of study time, which very little IOS knowledge beforehand. Good luck :)