Options

wow new ver 5 ccie all vertual and IOS15.3T and 15.0SE for switches

Comments

• Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I am not mistaken, the INE WB will be released by tomorrow. So if someone is looking to get a free upgrade to v5 INE WB should buy the v4 WB Vol 1 now and receive the free WB update.
    The new CCIE Routing & Switching Version 5 Workbook will be priced at $499, or $299 for AAP Members. However, if you purchase either the current Volume 1 or Volume 2 workbook before Thursday, you’ll still be eligible for the free upgrade to the Version 5 Workbook, and essentially save $300 on it. Just don’t tell my sales team that I told you about this loophole
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you where you got that quote from? I've been looking at getting the workbooks, but holding off to see the v5 differences (and whether the discount for getting the AAP is worth the additional cost of the AAP itself), etc. I've heard the v5 is just +1 workbook over the v4 set, but that doesn't make any sense, considering how embedded FR is in v4.

Found it:

http://blog.ine.com/2014/04/28/ine-at-cisco-live-and-ccie-rsv5-transition-updates/
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so are these 360 workbooks , made by Cisco this time or just a rebranding?
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    tldeestldees Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    deth1k wrote: »
    having lab booked for October I'd rather have access to v5 workbooks now rather than wait for INE :) hence why I chose 360 although still have INE account. However they will probably release WB based on hardware rather than virtual, we shall see i guess...

The INE workbook should be out tomorrow. INE is going with 20 CSR 1000v + 4 switches for their racks.
  • Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    In regards to startup configs, they are not included. Whole material is based around access to their racks, so what I've been doing is getting copies of startup configs before each lab so that I can practice offline. This time 360 is developed in house by same guys who come up with IE questions and topologies, it's designed to be as close to real thing as possible.
    So, there are 10 (one of those is backbone, not present in every lab) routers and 4 switches in the physical topology, majority of links are ethernet with some serials thrown in dependig on lab you are doing.

Re last post, this is exactly why I don't want to follow INE as they like to throw up big topologies, don't get me wrong I like configuring things but they are going over the board sometimes with number of devices and some repetetive tasks.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am not seeing the 360 bundle on the cisco website. Looking at the google searches I see a website called netmasterclass.com that offers the program. Is this where you guys have bought it from?
  • Options
    Not all tasks will need to fire up 20 routers. I think they wanted that big topology for troubleshooting section and probably full scale labs.
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am not seeing the 360 bundle on the cisco website. Looking at the google searches I see a website called netmasterclass.com that offers the program. Is this where you guys have bought it from?

I think it's this one. I've been looking at that one. But I think I am going to get Narbik's WB. I have a training fund (separate from department funds) that gets expired every year so might as well spend it than lose it.
  • Options
    I'd go with 360 dollar one as the one you looking at dones't include workbooks and only technology labs which is similart to Vol 1 from INE, so if you have INE I'd say don't spend 1200 bucks on that and get this: https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/market/prod/productView.se.work?/nxt/rcrs/proieidentity/=21458&/nxt/rcrs/aisidentity/=2594#.U2KTs3IgR0w
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes I bought the Vol1 INE books because for the price you get the entire v5 - it is just one workbook to cover everything. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

I have reracked my entire lab today - I now have 9 routers that are connected by single fastethernet and I've connected up a load of crossover serial cables just cuz.

My ESX server will go to 32GB tomorrow and I can supplement this with my desktop machine which has 16GB RAM.

Between all of this I believe even if I can't match the hardware exactly I will be able to make up for it with my hybrid approach.

I'm covered hardware wise. I don't need to blindly follow workbooks so having to mix it up myself will be good in my opinion.
  • Options
    well ine vol 1 is what i call blindly following something, 360 one only includes full labs which is what you want to be doing a lot prior to exam :)
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I think the IPexpert books are very good at asking question in the format you will get at the CCIE lab.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    tldeestldees Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well ine vol 1 is what i call blindly following something, 360 one only includes full labs which is what you want to be doing a lot prior to exam :)

I prefer INE vol 1 gentler approach to each individual technology before combing the technologies in Vol2. I always tried to solve the tasks myself before looking at the solutions so I never felt I was blindly following the workbook.

I'll use Cisco 360 labs for my alternative vendor as I get closer to lab day.

I didn't like Narbik's or IPExpert's workbooks for various reasons. I do want to go to Narbik's bootcamp at some point though.
  • Options

You missed my point. I bought it for the cheap v5 workbook tomorrow.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder if they are going to use VIRL for all the virtualization. That would be kind of cool if they do. Supposedly there will be more information given at Cisco Live this year in regards to it. If customers can get their hands on VIRL then you've got your CCIE lab right there.
    I just installed VIRL, it looks interesting, but I need to figure out how to use it. icon_sad.gif
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Nice, you have access to VIRL. Do you have more information about VIRL? The current information that I know is that you can have a maximum of 15 devices with the personal version. No switch support for the first release but it is in the roadmap. $100/yr license. Enterprise is in the thousands of dollars range.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Priston wrote: »
    I just installed VIRL, it looks interesting, but I need to figure out how to use it. icon_sad.gif

You have it running on a VM, right? Make sure you configure the VM EXACTLY how the instructions say or else you won't be able to download the client. After that, it's pretty intuitive to figure out. In my opinion, it's easier to set up than GNS3
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I've heard VIRL was just a wrapper for IOU, but that sounds like it might not be the case - can you give any details?

• Options
    Not IOU per this blog post.

Quote from the CLN thread.
    I discovered some fresh and interesting first-hand technical and non technical facts about CML at the WISP booth at CiscoLive! Milan):
    • there should be only routing features for the first 1.0 release of CML, which is expected to be released "before June 2014": vIOS, vIOS-XE (CSR 1000V) and vIOS-XR
    • you'll be also able to insert virtual servers (first release), other Cisco's virtual appliances (subsequent releases - see below) and third party virtual appliances
    • switching capabilities with vNX-OS (Nexus 1000V) should be released in a future release, probably 1.1. Its porting is longer than the other virtual appliances because N1KV has not been initially designed as a VM: the VEM module has been "inserted" into VMWare kernel. I forgot to ask about the VSM module.
    • there are three flavors:
      • personal version which is expected to cost around $100 with all the VMs
      • a full-featured corporate version
      • Cisco's cloud hosted access version
    • the environment is based on nested hypervisors: KVM inside VMWare WorkStation with OpenStack as the orchestrator
    • vIOS uses 0.5 GB of RAM; vIOS-XE and vIOS-XR both need 3 GB (each); some memory is shared between identical VMs so the total RAM needs are below the number of nodes in the toôlogy multiplied by each node RAM usage if you insert multiple VMs of one kind.
    • with this architecture, we'll need plenty of RAM and a powerful CPU (i7 for example) on a laptop to be able to run a mixed topology smoothly
    • all the virtual appliances described earlier and the subsequent ones (see below) share the same code with their hardware version; their code has been recompiled into this new environment. This has 2 consequences:
      • hardware and virtual devices share the same features
      • hardware and virtual devices share the same bugs
    • more Cisco virtual appliances are on the roadmap and their implementation depends on each team responsible for each individual product (pretty vague...):
      • ASA 1000V
      • VSG
      • vWAAS
      • vWLC
      • you name it...
    • A glimpse into it: after you have easily built the topology, you select the routed protocol(s) (IPv4, IPv6 or dual-stacked), the routing protocol (EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, BGP) and so on. Then all basic configuration of all devices is automatically generated (IP addresses, basic routing protocol configuration). You can then easily tweak each node by editing its startup-config file then start up the whole topology. You can then have access to each individual CLI.
  • Options
    tldees wrote: »
    I prefer INE vol 1 gentler approach to each individual technology before combing the technologies in Vol2. I always tried to solve the tasks myself before looking at the solutions so I never felt I was blindly following the workbook.

I'll use Cisco 360 labs for my alternative vendor as I get closer to lab day.

I didn't like Narbik's or IPExpert's workbooks for various reasons. I do want to go to Narbik's bootcamp at some point though.

Agree about VOL 1 however it can be a drag at times, take a look at 360 lesson labs, those are exactly that however much better explained and structured.
  • Options
    ps. don't throw away your 1841's just yet, this version is basically 15.3T :)

C1841#sh ver
    Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.3(3)XB12, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
    Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 19-Nov-13 06:44 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

C1841 uptime is 3 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload at 10:43:32 UTC Fri May 2 2014
    System image file is "flash:c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.153-3.XB12.bin"
    Last reload type: Normal Reload
    Last reload reason: Unknown reason

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
    Export Compliance Product Report Application

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
    export@cisco.com.

Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 241664K/20480K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID
    2 FastEthernet interfaces
    2 ATM interfaces
    1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    191K bytes of NVRAM.
    63808K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)
  • Options
    Dang, I can't get my hands on that one icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dunno. Aren't there some features on the ISR2 platform that are not included in the ISR1 15.3?

CML seems awesome except for the corporate licensing, lol. I also wish there wasn't a cap on E number of devices on the personal version (or at least cap it to the CCIEv5 topology).

I know GNS3 is free 99 but CML is going to be the defacto platform for learning Cisco. CSR is great too but the hardware requirements are pretty high.
  • Options
    Is CML available now then?
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Is CML available now then?

It's in closed beta.
  • Options
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think i may give the 360 a shot if i can get the job to pay for it
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    INE v5 workbook is up, although a lot of sections are still marked "update pending". The topology looks to be only 10 routers in the sections I reviewed so far.

• Options
    Yes, I have been looking through it too. I believe 20 routers was touted for the "entire" topology, not sure if that means the new troubleshooting perhaps?

Appears the FR cloud in v4 is now the DMVPN network and the rest looks a fairly similar format.

I can handle 10 routers for the bulk of the technology learning though, can even run that all on my ESX box! Could flog some 1841's maybe after all..

I didn't see any initial config files though, they would have been useful though I guess you can just blag a lot of it.
  • Options
    Yeah they kept on updating whilst I was asleep. Diagrams and initial configs have started appearing. Just need the full mock labs to start appearing now!!