Options

Deploying Windows 7 image to multiple computers

kenichiwaaakenichiwaaa Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I currently have a computer with a certain group policy settings and applications. I need to copy an image of that computer and deploy it to 20 computers within the same LAN.

What is the best way to go about this? I obviously can't have the same computer name and MAC address on 20 computers. Also, what will happen to the Windows 7 license, can I have it to be the same on all 20 computers?

btw, all the hardware for all 20 computers are the same.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Comments

• Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    Since it's a smaller deployment, look into MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit). You will need to "inject" the drivers into the deployment and with all the hardware being the same that won't be difficult to do.

Unless you have a VL (Volume License) you can't use the same key for all 20 computers. You need a key for each one. If the computers came with Windows 7 and have the OEM sticker key, you can use those to activate each one as long as the image version is the same version as the OEM license (Professional, Ultimate, etc.)
    :lol:
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take carefull note of above comment, "Unless you have a VL (Volume License) you can't use the same key for all 20 computers."

Make an image of the computer with Clonezilla (Clonezilla - About) as it currently stands just in case. Config local Group Policy Administrative Template settings on a master computer.

Sysprep the computer and shut it down as this will reset the settings like it's a new OS (will not duplicate MAC and name).

Capture image with Clonezilla.

Deploy out image.

Clonezilla makes it pretty easy and you can get up to speed by doing a few tests to familiarize yourself with the proggy.

Lots of "How Tos" to use the program. Just Google.

Of course, there are 20 different programs and ways to do this. I just find Clonezilla simple, free, fast and easy to use.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Or just sysprep it and use WinPE from Microsoft to capture and lay down the image.
  • Options
    kenichiwaaakenichiwaaa Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks man! I used your advice.
  • Options
    J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Or just sysprep it and use WinPE from Microsoft to capture and lay down the image.

MDT Makes this easier. Plus you gain the benefit of making a driver agnostic image with the ability to inject apps or drivers when needed.

Forget clonezilla, I've used it, hated it.
    I've used FOG, Ghost, Acronis, Bare WinPE Methods.

MDT is the approved and defacto method for deploying windows easily. These days I carry a ready-made MDT Deployment share on a thumbdrive. I can walk into any environment and set up a imaging/deployment solution in 15 minutes. Copy my share to a network location, edit whatever product keys I need, boot the target machine to usb/cd, or copy the boot.wim to a WDS server and pxe boot it.

Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012 | TechNet Video
    This is a multi-part video lesson that details all you need to know, Watch it, live it, learn it, love it. You only really need to watch the first three parts of the series.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]