Whats the difference between Network admin and System admin

OkasonOkason Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Am going to take my Network+ exams in coming weeks and thinking of what's the next step to take after that as I advance in my career.The term Network admin has always been appealing to me, but can someone help me with whats a typical job role of Network Admin versus System Admin and what cert paths lead to each.
Am currently working as a Tech support for wireless devices...
All things work together for good........to them that believe..

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    System admin entails everything from domain setup and management to end user support, including different server types and domain security. Network admin is more towards making sure all those servers can communicate, as well as designing and building a network, management and of course, security. I suppose you could also say it's software versus hardware too, while a Sys Admin must be familiar with Windows OSes, it's capabilities, and limitations, while Network admin must be familiar with routers and implementation of other network hardware. There are many more differences I'm sure, but that's a basic overview.

I noted you were doing tech support for wireless, you may want to look at Wireless#, a newer foundation level cert for wireless, along with CWNA.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • OkasonOkason Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Ricka I appreciate ur overview. I support Dlink Network devices like routers,NICs..etc and thats and thats an entry level to the field of Networking for me. I intend to continue to CCNA after my Network+. will that put me on the road to Network Admin or can still have the flexibilty to change track to Sys Admin if the job market leans towards that end.
    All things work together for good........to them that believe..