Options

Learning Point. Question about load balancing in EIGRP

Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey TE hows it going? Well Today I have a question. Just been going through the reading, and I was wondering a bit about EIGRP load balancing. It seems straight forward enough, but I figured I'd try it out. Well what I figured I'd do is have two serial cables running from router to router to help reduce the load on a single link. Now, What I did was put one /30 subnet on one link, and another separate subnet /30 on the other link in an attempt to save addresses. I obviously changed the variance as well from the default parameter of one so that load balancing can occur. Will packets that are sent to the router be load balanced between the two links despite the different subnets? Am I an idiot? Am I over thinking this or am I correct in establishing two separate links with different IP addresses to load balance? Haha, thank you for reading and hopefully I can get some nice answers icon_cheers.gif
2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

Comments

• Options
    Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
    P 192.168.10.0/24, 2 successors, FD is 2170112
    via 172.16.1.6 (2170112/2816), Serial0/0/1
    via 172.16.1.2 (2170112/2816), Serial0/1/0 P 11.0.0.0/8, 2 successors, FD is 2170112
    via 172.16.1.5 (2170112/2816), Serial0/1/0
    via 172.16.1.1 (2170112/2816), Serial0/0/1 Btw, didn't include this in the post, but I checked the topology table as well for both routers, and here is how it looks, so it seems as if it is able to load balance because all the metrics match up, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks
    2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To check i its load balancing, you need to look at the routing table or more importantly the forwarding table(cef table).

"show ip route x.x.x.x"
    "show ip cef x.x.x.x"

If there multiple next-hops associated with the route it's being load-balanced, now you should be asking yourself what kind of load balancing is happening, try sending e2e pings etc.

To load balance eigrp you do not need the variance configured, thats optional to allow unequal cost load balancing.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$