Options

GNS3 and hosts/servers

JacobGatesJacobGates Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, so I am broke as you can be. So to study and practice for my CCNA I have to use GNS3 and other free emulation softwares. Someone suggested some good cheap cisco equipment in my last post but I just couldn't afford them along with other things I would need to have a good physical lab.

So I come with a question to help my studies as well as my wallet. I am to the point that I need to have hosts and servers in my network. I have Oracle VirtualBox so I attempted to use the VirtualBox guest thing on GNS3 but I can't get the OS to ping with the router or vis versa. I have followed many tutorials all coming up with some problem of some sort. My first attempt was to get a tftp server in my network. I am currently running Ubuntu 13.04 on my laptop. I had Ubuntu 12.04 on VM and created a tap0 interface but I couldn't get it to connect to the tftp program on that VM. My first attempt was this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43OG3zVGFE which isn't exactly right so I had to figure out some of the parts on my own.

My second attempt was using this tftp server program set up: How do I install and run a TFTP server? - Ask Ubuntu and this loopback tutorial: My Home Lab: Add Loopbacks in Ubuntu for GNS3 Okay well with that the connection kept disconnecting in the Ubuntu VM. I couldn't get it to stay connected.

Well I gave up on tftp because it's not that hard to remember the process for backing up and restoring configs with a tftp server. But I would like to be able to use a host in GNS3 to do the labs properly. I tried the GNS3 documentation here: VirtualBox - GNS3 but this is where I couldn't get a successful ping.

Anyone have any clue? I have googled more than I can even count. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why do you need servers or hosts? Through all my labbing for certifications I've never used a host. If you need something besides loopbacks to get routes into the table you can just use a router with routing turned off.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    really? you didn't need them? well I was thinking I would need them later on because the website I am learning from had hosts in its labs. I am still in the early stages so I just used a router in the first lab but I figured it would get more demanding and need a host.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Usually the only thing you need a host for is pinging etc. You can do the same with a router. Or maybe for some port security or something, but again a router could work there. That isn't even stuff you could do with GNS3 anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Oh well then that's great news! makes my life a lot more simple. Thank you for your advice!
  • Options
    MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    I don't have windows, I am working in Ubuntu Linux
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use Virtual PC simulator on my linux laptop. It works fine. The last link at the bottom:

Download - GNS3

Or, like networker050184 mentioned, you can use a router with 'no ip routing'. Change the icon to 'host' if it bothers you. This method probably takes more cpu cycles that the VPCS route, but it's not a big deal with todays hardware.
  • Options
    davenull wrote: »
    I use Virtual PC simulator on my linux laptop. It works fine. The last link at the bottom:

Download - GNS3

Or, like networker050184 mentioned, you can use a router with 'no ip routing'. Change the icon to 'host' if it bothers you. This method probably takes more cpu cycles that the VPCS route, but it's not a big deal with todays hardware.
    Oh that is a good idea... hmm, my laptop's cpu isn't the best on the market so I might do that actually. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that link is for windows. I got my vpcs from AUR, but ubuntu should have its own somewhere.
  • Options
    davenull wrote: »
    that link is for windows. I got my vpcs from AUR, but ubuntu should have its own somewhere.
    well it has the linux penguin in the virtual pc link so I assume it works under ubuntu.
  • Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can download binary from SF:
    Virtual PC Simulator - Browse /0.5/beta at SourceForge.net

Put it in /usr/local/bin and rename (or link) to "vpcs".