Options

Gathering information

DyskoDysko Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to keep it simple. I'm trying to gather as much information as possible on multiple things (Not complex info, just basic info). So, here is what I want to know about virtualization:

What is so important about it?
What certs should I have before attempting to learn this?
How much will I have to spend to have a home lab if I decide to learn this?
Recommended books or sites or videos or anything that offers knowledge towards a certification in VMWare (Or whatever I would use)?

And yeah...that's pretty much what I want to know about this area.

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    You didn't mention what exam or product you want info about, what your career aspiration is, or actually ANY shred of information for anyone to reply with an informed response.

Equipment costs vary as well as equipment required for different exams, noone knows what you consider fun, and you don't actually seem to know which virtualization products you're looking into.

You need to elaborate sir.
  • Options
    I really don't know anything about virtualization (Why I made this thread), so I guess the product I would like to know more about would be VMWare. Since that seems to be a major thing. I know you can get a certification for VMWare, I think.

So, I guess just tell me about VMWare. Why is it important and such. As for the fun thing, I'm not sure why I included that.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Check out the vmware cert vca-dcv I would not bother getting the cert but the free training will answer all your questions. Gl hf
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    1. Virtualization is important because with the availability and redundancy it offers in both the server environment, and now increasingly the networking environment, it's already prevalent across enterprise environments and quickly being adopted by small to medium size businesses.

The cost of business continuity vs. the cost of properly managing your network is sliding across the scale fast, and preparing yourself not just with a cert, but a true understanding of the technology is the biggest favor a system admin or network engineer could do for their career right now. VMware is an absolute powerhouse right now, especially with their partnering with Cisco with exclusive support for VMware environments, with Cisco now developing hosted customer controlled cloud routing it's going to be a monopoly.

All cheer leading aside for Cisco, we are coming out of an era of legacy server solutions, and all sectors are realizing that having an old piece of **** server go down and halting business is not a viable solution.

2. I'd say an MCSA and CCNA would be bare minimum to really study for a VCP level exam, and I'd say anything under those is a waste of time unless you're strictly going for an understanding of what the virtual products do but not how they work.

3. I bought a $1k laptop with 16gb RAM, another $200 for an SSD, and I can run a nested / virtual lab no problem so far. I'm sure you can piece together a lab for less, but I got the laptop for both personal and lab use, so I didn't buy a $500 server and realize I hated studying servers.

4. I grabbed Master vSphere by Scott Lowe, Networking for VMware Admins, and my work has a subscription to trainsignal or whatever they're called now and watch the vSphere 5 videos. I tried reading the book cover to cover, but I'm starting to just lab and read parts that I want to lab to keep my interest there, and it is very dry material. Like with CCNA Voice I couldn't imagine studying for it without working with it.

I find studying it fun because I learn so much building a lab, breaking it, then fixing it right before tearing it back down and repeating. I'm the network / voice guy at my job, now I'm pointing out stuff to system admins that they didn't catch, and 2 months ago I couldn't hardly navigate Active Directory.

/threadkilled
  • Options
    Thank you, ande. That's all I wanted to know. Thanks for a detailed post.