Options

Job hunting and recruiters.

BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
Dear Recruiters,
Please stop listing jobs as "Junior, entry level, college, etc" when they require 2-4+ years of experience. Sorting through 500 jobs listed as "junior" then seeing that every one requires a bachelors degree and 4 years of experience and wasting my time trying to sort through it all is really getting to me. As it is now days the vast majority of positions are only for experienced professionals with 10+ years of experience.

For everyone else, does this seem to be an issue or am I on the wrong job boards? I'm trying to move out of the military and in to the civilian job market. Even though my job technically revolved around signals analysis all of my assignments were more focused on physical security, commo set-up/maintenance. Due to this I don't have a lot of hands-on experience. I did get my associates in network security from UAT, and I'm currently taking certification exams to add to the resume. I've spent last 10 years with network security as a hobby so most of the certs are easy enough. I feel I know a ton in theory and just need a chance for a job to put hands on.

Because of all of this, I'm limiting my search to entry level positions. I'm having a very hard time finding any actual entry level positions. It seems you need experience to be considered for anything at all. To top it all off I keep reading articles, blogs, etc. discussing how companies can't seem to fill their infosec positions, or find any candidates. It seems to me that employers don't realize that infosec isn't a brand new field, but it is relatively new, and expanding exponentially. This means that they are going to have to hire entry level workers (actual entry level employees with an interest and aptitude in infosec) and train them up, not try to fill every position with someone who has been working in infosec since Linux was created.

Comments

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I get emails for help desk that require an A+ and a car. The saddest thing you will ever experience is dead phones, no reply's, no call's no action.(silence), scary.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try craigslist if you're looking for entry level jobs. You'll find more small businesses willing to give you a chance and train you in exchange for a lower salary. Once you've got around 2 years of experience, recruiters may have an easier time placing you.