Options

Ashworth College??

shart1971shart1971 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am thinking about going for my associate degree in Computer Information Systems and I want to go to a online school. I noticed it is very cheap for a 2 year degree. Has anyone have experience with this college and is it worth my time? It's states it Nationally credited by the DETC.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are looking to transfer credits into a bachelors program, I would be careful.

Take a look at this article: Why You Should Care About Accreditation | Military.com

"It is important to note that most nationally accredited schools accept degrees and courses taken at either regionally or nationally accredited schools. However, it does not usually work the other way; most regionally accredited schools do not recognize coursework taken at nationally accredited schools.

The biggest concern should be on which type of accreditation best helps you achieve your long-term goals. For example, if your goal is to someday go onto post-graduate studies it may be best to select a school which has been regionally accredited as it is likely be more widely accepted."
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When people say you should go to an accredited college, they usually mean a regionally accredited college. It may not seem intuitive, but the general rule of thumb is to look for regional accreditation.

If they are both nationally and regionally accredited then that's fine, but if it's only DETC then I would not recommend that path, especially if you might want to transfer to a 4-year degree program later. Many schools will accept transfer credits only from regionally accredited schools, and even my local community college only accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited schools.

Joe
  • Options
    Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For profit school... I would find another...
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Ashworth is decent for being a cheap, somewhat self-paced yet accelerated program.

Probably about 30% of employers will turn up their noses at the diploma, not including federal government/military who tend to be more accepting of national accreditation.

Getting credits accepted by regionally accredited colleges toward a bachelor's is still a 50/50 diceroll, but is way better than would have been even a few years ago.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    look at APUS if you want a scheduled type school. It is regionally accredited.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shart1971 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am thinking about going for my associate degree in Computer Information Systems and I want to go to a online school. I noticed it is very cheap for a 2 year degree. Has anyone have experience with this college and is it worth my time? It's states it Nationally credited by the DETC.

Do you know where you may end up going for a Bachelors? If so, you may want to contact any schools admissions/records and ask if they accept credits from Ashworth. Likewise, I would contact Ashworth and ask if they have any transfer agreements or to ask if the schools you are interested in transferring to for your Bachelor accept their credits/degrees.