Options

Interview not so technical?

chob11chob11 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I had an interview for a network engineer position today. The interview went really well but very basic technical questions were asked. Example was name a complex issue you resolved? Or what is your experience with this vendor? I dont feel the questions were technically in depth enough to gauge a perons skill level. I felt like asking that is it? Do you guys think I should follow up asking for a more technical interview? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They many not be looking for technical skills but rather personal, interpersonal, and soft skills due to the nature of the position. Let your skill level come through once you have the job.

Good luck and cheers.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    chob11 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I had an interview for a network engineer position today. The interview went really well but very basic technical questions were asked. Example was name a complex issue you resolved? Or what is your experience with this vendor? I dont feel the questions were technically in depth enough to gauge a perons skill level. I felt like asking that is it? Do you guys think I should follow up asking for a more technical interview? Thanks for any advice.

Hmmm! I would take that as a red flag for sure. This is an Enterprise gig yes? I wouldn't be shocked then and also wouldn't be shocked that the person interview had none of the experience/skills required to interview someone for such a position.

I would ask questions and let the responses help me determine if it's some place I would want to work. Should be able to tell if it's a typical Enterprise or not (blind leading the blind).

"Can you tell me about the network?"

"Is it a team environment or will I be the sole network engineer?"

"How many IDF's are we supporting? Are they L2 or L3?"

"How is our backbone? Collapsed or no?"

These are basic of basic questions and the response should tell you all you need to know. If you would be the sole Engineer, it would then depend on where you are at in your career whether you accept it or not.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    chob11chob11 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

I agree Nemowolf. It felt like they were just trying to get a feel for my personal skills and thought process.

RouteMyPacket - Yes this is an enterprise environment. It would be a team of engineers. I did ask them what projects they would be working on and it did give me a good idea of the network. It is a typical 3 tiered backbone. I just dont get how they will be able to choose a candidate with all the same qualifications on paper without testing their knowledge.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    chob11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I agree Nemowolf. It felt like they were just trying to get a feel for my personal skills and thought process.

RouteMyPacket - Yes this is an enterprise environment. It would be a team of engineers. I did ask them what projects they would be working on and it did give me a good idea of the network. It is a typical 3 tiered backbone. I just dont get how they will be able to choose a candidate with all the same qualifications on paper without testing their knowledge.

lol..sounds like typical Enterprise, good luck.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?