Hello ! question regarding WGU

TifinityTifinity Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, this is my first post, been reading posts last couple of days and finally decided to register to be part of
"Techexams.net" Family :D

I already talked to my enrollment counselor and only thing left is to send the transcripts in.

my question is this, should I get A+ certification before attending WGU? so I can knock out the fundamentals ??

what do you guys think ? I'm thinking to take the path to Information Technology : Security, any tips will be very helpful !!

Thank you all :)

Comments

• NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome!

First. Highly recommend you check out the VERY long thread of questions already answered concerning WGU.

To answer your question regarding the A+ the answer is entirely up to you and your comfort level in studying, paying and completing the cert test before you start WGU. Once you are enrolled, I do not believe they accept additional Transferred credits/tests. I don't recall the price since i have not had to pay for any recently but if you can afford the 120-150 bucks for the test and pass … May want to include that in your first term so you can get started with a quick notch on the win column.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello and welcome to the community!

WGU is an awesome place to get a degree but it is not for everyone. Yes, you should absolutely get some sort of IT certification on your own through self studying before attending WGU.

One thing that doesn't get stated enough about WGU is that if you don't have the discipline to self study or need the structure of being in a classroom with a professor then WGU is not for you. Many people in this community are able manage their time very well and self study which is why WGU is the perfect option for them.

If you need help with selecting material for the A+ then head over to that subforum for assistence. Best of luck to you!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you already qualify for admittance to WGU wait until you start. It will just save you money as the voucher fees are included with tuition.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • 2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    start the school and take the exam with wgu
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    If you are ready to take the test, definitely enroll first. Also be sure to apply for their scholarships. They aren't a lot of money but they are pretty easy to get if you will do the steps. With the scholarship it costs me $16 a day to be enrolled at WGU. So if you aren't ready to take the test you may want to prepare for it first.
  • TifinityTifinity Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys ! i got one more question to ask.

do you guys usually take 1 classes each time? or several classes altogether ?
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Several. If I get bored with one subject, moving to another subject really helps keep me focused. I like to keep a mix of gened and tech stuff so I can switch back and forth.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's preference, but I found working on 1 at a time really allowed me to focus and knock stuff out easier. If I get bored with a subject I'm going to get bored with it later as well, I'd rather just get it over with.
    I see! and I read on the forum, there are some classes that overlap ? is it wise for me to take those courses together~?

I am set to start on July 1st, and I will keep you guys updated with my Transcript Eval. :)

Thanks
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tend to do one course at a time and I always group related courses wherever possible.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right, it wouldn't make sense to take the CCENT, then an English writing class, then the CCNA, etc. Group together the stuff that makes sense.