Options

Cert Mix

maxpowersmaxpowers Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone

I'm new here. I hang around on CLN alot and keep landing around here so I figured I might as well register and kick off with a small thread.
I love doing certs by myself because A: they are cool, and B: For me it's all about discipline. Going to a course, you just have to show up and get spoon fed. Doing it yourself you have to kick yourself in the ass and really work your ass off. Not saying a course is a no go, just I think it is a lot harder and more fullfilling + rewarding doing it yourself.
Also, wanted to here your guys opinion on the following, if you think this could be the right direction. I'm a network engineer working a lot with wireless and want to move more into security (network) over the next 1-2 years.
My current certs are:

CCNA (RS)
CCNP R/S

Working on:
CCNA Sec.

Want/Will have (in that order and within the next 6 months):
WISE Rukus ZD etc.
CEH (I really really want this one :D )
Perhaps some HP stuff (if possible, fasttrack from my ccnp)
CCDA/DP

Long term (1-3 years)
*Cough* CCIE R/S *Cough CCIE Sec *cough*...
*Cough* CISSP *Cough*...

Goal is to become a better engineer and have more confidence in what I am doing/consulting.

Cheers!
Max

Comments

• Options
    bump.. anyone..?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd personally skip everything in your "Want/Will have" section (I don't know about the CEH, maybe someone more in line with that area can chime in). I don't see much return on the investment there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would skip the CEH.

CISSP shouldn't take more than a few months of studying to achieve. Surely not as long as a CCIE.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Thanks.
    I like the CISSP but don't believe I have the required experience. I want to have a go at a bigger cert like a CCIE or the CISSP, but think it would be wiser to do some smaller ones first. However, I do believe I would be capable of doing a CCIE in 1-1.5 years of study, based on my CCNP study time.

love the quote by the way.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Just out of curiousity, how does your CCNP study time relate to the time it will take to study for a CCIE test? Like how exactly do you use it as a measurement?
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would make CISSP a priority. Seems to be on just about every mid-level and higher Info Sec job ad that I see. You get the Associate of ISC2 designation if you pass, but don't have the experience.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    I'll look into that.
    @Ande0255 I think it depends. If you **** your ccnp your going to have a hard time on the ie exams. I took some bad advise while prepping for ccna and paid for it while doing my ccnp. ccnp took me a total of about 11 Months. I would say about 100h reading and about 200h labbing. I assume for CCIE I would need a total of around 1500h.