Options

vNetworking Question

tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have some hosts at a data center configed with standard vswitches with access to only one subnet. If I wanted these hosts to have access to a different subnet (switches at a different location), a dvswitch could accomplish this right?

We have three host cluster. One host is at site A that has physical access to subnet 172.XX, and the other two hosts at site B that have access to subnet 192.xxx. I need to be able to assign the VMs at site B with 172 addresses without the nics having physical acccess to the 172 switch. Just to be crystal clear..

Comments

• Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    vDS alone will not help, you need something to move the 172 packets across the 192 network w/o changing them. VXLAN or NSX could do it. vShield Manager doesn't seem to be a standalone product any more, so you'd need vCloud Suite it looks like.

You could maybe set up a VM with on the 192 hosts with a VPN tunnel to the 172 network, create a isolated switch for the 172 VMs (plus the bridge VM) to talk on. You'd need traffic on that network between the hosts (so 172-on-192 VMs don't need to reside on the same host as the bridge VM), a crossover cable could work and not affect your other local traffic.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ended up vmotioning the vms to the host at site A and physically moving the SAN out of site B to A.
  • Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    in 9 hours? Damn.