Big Changes To WGU's BS IT Curriculum

djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
If anyone would like to remove the Java courses from their degree plan, I'd recommended switching to the updated May 2014 track.

-Here are the changes that I confirmed.

TXP1 (2CUs) (removed)

TXC1 (2CUs) (removed)

TYP1 (2CUs) (removed)

TYC1 (2CUs) (removed)

BOV1 is going from 4CUs to 6CUs

-These two courses will be added to your degree plan with the change.

DRV1 – (3CUs) - OS I Linux (LX0-101)

DSV1 – (3CUs) - OS II Linux (LX0-102)

-There are also some core classes that are affected by the change.

RIT1 (3CUs) (removed)

CIC1 is going from 3CUs to 4CUs.

GAC1 is also going from 2CUs to 4CUs

I hope this helps clears up some confusion. WGU seems to change their curriculum every term these days. A welcome change in my opinion though. It seems many have struggled with those Java courses.
WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed

Comments

• DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    That will be a welcome change for many, and enticing for folks looking for diversity to learn the linux classes.
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    This is the general IT major?
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man this is awesome news! I've heard the Java courses are a pain, and last night I was just thinking about how I'd like to start learning a bit about Linux. I can't wait to come off of my term break in a few weeks and switch over.
  • jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone noticed they removed cisco from the network administration track?
  • ConflagrateCarlConflagrateCarl Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking I like this...but I talk to my mentor about it tomorrow. Just started my second term this month, so we'll see if it affects me, and if so, how much. Cheers!
    M.S.(Cyber/IA), CISSP, GCIA, CEH, CASP+, Sec+, Net+, A+, Project+, Linux+
    The new course breakdown PDF is on their website, passing Linux+ is what's required for the Linux classes. Guess it's time to start studying ahead.
  • auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started the IT-Security track and this new change will knockoff a whole semester for me. I can't wait to get changed over in August.
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jahaziel wrote: »

Yes, I was studying for the CCNA and was going to take it before I started at WGU on 6-1-2014 for the Network Admin track. Certainly threw me off a bit
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□

I was looking at these the other day because I have a friend who is about halfway through his degree. I have my A.S. already, thinking about finishing my B.S. at WGU on the company dime with next year's training budget, and I was a bit baffled when I saw that the network administration track didn't include Cisco (but for some reason it did include web design...?).

The IT Security track seems the closet fit to what I would like to do even though I'm not interested in working in the Infosec field.
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□

I just started WGU in April and picked the NA route because of the Cisco courses, the Microsoft ones were just an added bonus to me. Now I'm not sure I want to stay within the NA track. Might jump over to Security or Network Design and just work on my CCNA myself.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could also do the CCNA first in this term, then change to network design.
    I would but my degree plan has already changed and CCENT and CCNA have been removed.
  • acharya007acharya007 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    djfunz wrote: »

-There are also some core classes that are affected by the change.

RIT1 (3CUs) (removed)

Thank you for this post.I am registered for RIT1 in my current term. Would I be able to switch to the updated May 2014 track in middle of the term and avoid taking this class??
  • MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @acharya007: It's my understanding a track change or update can only occur when you're moving into a new semester and not in the middle of one. I would however HIGHLY recommend talking to your student mentor to make sure and if so, if there's anything else that can be done.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
    I would but my degree plan has already changed and CCENT and CCNA have been removed.

So you asked for it to be changed? Unless you did you should still be on the old one.
    No, I didn't ask for the change. They were there one week, gone the next.
    Well that is definitely not policy. If you don't want to be on the new program let your mentor know.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Removing all of their development courses from the general IT bachelors? :/
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    @N2IT

I felt that they emphasized programming too much in the general BS IT degree. I am happy to say that I am done with Java (Just passed TYC1)! I understand having some programming in the degree but I think I like Linux in place of the Java courses.

@Cisc0kidd

I originally had the old Java classes before my 4th term but my mentor switched me to the new Java courses without asking. I was upset at first since I had finished the 1st program in KET1 before my 4th term started but at the same time I was so glad I didn't have to take KFT1. I found out that I could have switched but since I accepted the AAV and had Financial Aid I couldn't go back which was my fault. I think I had already decided that the new courses were the best way to go at that point. I'm glad I left the Java courses for last though.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A mentor should never change programs without you asking them to, if you don't like what they changed you to then start asking questions.
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Agreed. Apparently they want to get students away from KET1/KFT1 but they should still ask before making any changes. Now it seems they went a step further to remove Java altogether.
  • mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I welcomed the removal of programming courses from the BSIT security degree. I can deal with the MTA in software but never wanted to do those other courses.

I just started the IT-Security track and this new change will knockoff a whole semester for me. I can't wait to get changed over in August.

Same for me. Its already changed and I could easily finish whats left this year but may extend one more term.

• djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Matavi wrote: »
    @acharya007: It's my understanding a track change or update can only occur when you're moving into a new semester and not in the middle of one. I would however HIGHLY recommend talking to your student mentor to make sure and if so, if there's anything else that can be done.

This is correct. Changes can only be made before the beginning of a new term. Also from what I have heard, you should not be changed over to a new track unless you request the change; meaning you would stay in the Java focused track if you already have those courses in your current term.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
    Got it, thank you both for the replies. I am currently enrolled in RIT1 but haven't started working on it yet. Now I have to complete this course and when I change to new track next term it will no longer be part of the program....icon_rolleyes.gif
  • MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @acharya007: I would still recommend talking to your student mentor if you haven't. While they can't change/update your track until you go into a new semester, there may still be something they can do to get around it. Worse case scenario, they just affirm that you're stuck doing it.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
    Matavi wrote: »
    @acharya007: I would still recommend talking to your student mentor if you haven't. While they can't change/update your track until you go into a new semester, there may still be something they can do to get around it. Worse case scenario, they just affirm that you're stuck doing it.
    Checked with my mentor and yeah I'm stuck doing it. But still its worth changing to the updated track icon_lol.gif
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love the changes to the Security track. I did not want to do the Java courses and now I get a free Network+ cert on top of it.
    I just spoke to a mentor(mine is out of the office and redirected me to another) about the May 2014 track and he confirmed these changes, though he also said that there is a new track coming out next month. I just sent him an email asking for details, I'll be sure to post them if he shares..

He said that you cannot change tracks until the current term is over, since my current term ends at the end of this year, can I still switch to the May 2014 track even though a new Sept 2014 track will be available? Just in case the Sep 2014 track isn't as appealing as the May track is..
  • RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yep, but if you're already on the old track (like myself) they'll let you finish. As soon as I'm done with the CCNA they're going to switch me to the new catalog and I get the Net+ as well.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%