Options

B.S. IT - Security: Complete.

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
In a total of 4 terms and 98 credits, all of my classes at WGU are complete. I started WGU in May of 2012 working full time in customer service. 2 years later I've more than doubled my salary and have a infosec development role, all because I was getting certified through WGU.

I'll breathe a short sigh of relief before ramping up for the CISSP exam in 44 days.

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ill be the first local to say CONGRATS!
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats are in order!! I'm going through the same coursework now...getting all of my sciences knocked out (Bio / Bio Lab / Physics Lab) and then most of the remaining classes are Programming / Leadership / Cisco. While I don't mind some of this gen ed coursework, I can't wait to get it done and move on!

Any plans for a MS or MBA?
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Very nice. Congrats!
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Congratulations!!! Great to see individuals strive for the best and work hard to get to where they want to go!
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Keep us posted on the CISSP progress as well.
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    Congrats are in order!! I'm going through the same coursework now...getting all of my sciences knocked out (Bio / Bio Lab / Physics Lab) and then most of the remaining classes are Programming / Leadership / Cisco. While I don't mind some of this gen ed coursework, I can't wait to get it done and move on!

Any plans for a MS or MBA?

I transferred those generals. Once you get into programming/business, the coursework goes much faster (enjoyable).

As for a graduate degree, I'm planning on applying for Virginia Tech's Masters of IT (M.S.?) for a January 2015 start date. They're well known and it seems to be a great option for me. I also like that fact that there is no capstone, as I'd rather be further into technical learning than writing.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I transferred those generals. Once you get into programming/business, the coursework goes much faster (enjoyable).

As for a graduate degree, I'm planning on applying for Virginia Tech's M.S. IT for a January 2015 start date. They're well known and it seems to be a great option for me. I also like that fact that there is no capstone, as I'd rather be further into technical learning than writing.

That's awesome, good luck with that! Let me know how you like it also...I've been kicking the tires on going for my MS after I'm done with my BS (no pun intended..lol). That being said, I don't want to throw away money just to say I have a MS if it isn't going to help with my career growth.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I just finished as well, waiting for the diploma to show up in the mail. Funny, I'm also looking towards the CISSP as well.
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    That's awesome, good luck with that! Let me know how you like it also...I've been kicking the tires on going for my MS after I'm done with my BS (no pun intended..lol). That being said, I don't want to throw away money just to say I have a MS if it isn't going to help with my career growth.

If you have the time, why not? It'll definitely get you more recognition on the resume.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Congrats! I just finished as well, waiting for the diploma to show up in the mail. Funny, I'm also looking towards the CISSP as well.

In the IT triad, I'm most behind in overall experience. The balance of certifications, education, and professional experience is pretty out of whack in my book. I'm using the CISSP (associate) as more of a resume cushion than anything. I'd really like to get in offensive/defensive security fairly soon.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great Job! It's good to see how hard work pays off! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]