Options

For those who work in a NOC/SOC, what do you do in downtime?

alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm glad to finally work in a SOC environment and away from the helpdesk, but I notice theirs a ton of downtime at this type of job. Since my SOC is so small there isn't much opportunity to learn and shadow from senior analyst or I'd be following them when free. I was wondering what do others so in their spare downtime?

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Study. You do realize you're on a certification forum, right?
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At my previous job, I know they fell asleep a lot. Of course, that was the graveyard shift. If it were me, I'd probably work toward certifications (read books), try to learn the environment better, or do something non-work related that wasn't completely obvious.

I've had many positions where there simply isn't work to do all the time and it is impossible to be productive at all times. In these situations, its more about appearing to be busy while keeping yourself sane at the same time.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I worked NOC we studied a lot for certifications and on new technology. Also ask the team lead for more responsibilities or take on a project it shows dedication. What is the next certification you are looking to take since you have your CCNA/Sec+?
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Been in my current position for over a year and I've used my downtime to study for the CCNA Security and CCNP Security. Now that those are done I'm using my time to prepare for CISSP. Since I'm married with two small children I don't get downtime at home.

Studying is the best thing you can do with free time.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I run a NOC and I have a million to-do tasks for them to do. I think it's funny that companies can't come up with work for their technicians to do. But that's why I think we have one of the best NOCs. All of us are always thinking. :)

Typical tasks that I assign technicians are to look at how we are monitoring certain technologies and see how we can improve the alerting and monitoring of that technology.

That's what I would do personally... Learn active directory then look at how to monitor it better. Are you looking for unwanted changes? Are you testing capabilities end-to-end? etc..
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just left a NOC after a year and a half. Learn what you can on the job, study what you can't on your own and move up or out before it drives you crazy and definitely don't ever let yourself get complacent. A guy at the NOC that I just left tried to leave himself about a year ago after working at the NOC for 5 years. He was asking for his old job back on the first day of starting his new job after feeling the difference between playing PC games in a NOC and having to do real work. He's still there and I won't make the same mistake. I've never been okay with sitting around doing nothing at my job.

Funny story. They gave me an annual bonus even though I had only been there for three months at the time and they told me not to tell anybody. They were pissed off when the guy mentioned above left and I heard through another coworker that he forfeited the raise that they counter-offered him along with his annual bonus. I now realize that they probably gave me his bonus. I made sure to quit after they passed out the annual bonuses.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has any one ever worked in a NOC overnight by yourself? Whats that like?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked overnight with another person for half of the week and 2 others for the other half of the week.

It was mind numbingly boring and slow. We had dual screens, so most people streamed media on one side and kept something work related on the other.

I studied on my downtime when I worked nights. I was able to put in a lot of time towards my CCNA.

Now that I work days (at another job), it's a lot harder to study since a lot of the leadership is present even if there is little to do. It just gives the wrong impression to some, I guess.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I used to work in a noc for a 12 hour shift, it was really boring my biggest challenge was fighting sleep by 3am lol. I'd get a certification or 2 and learn everything I could then either get promoted from within for find another position with more responsibility.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Currently working in NOC, really enjoying it 2 months in. Seems to be always something going on and you tend to get a good view of all infrastructure. Not a whole lot of downtime but if there is I'll read a pdf or watch an online video.

Usually work as part of a 2 man team on shift but have worked on my own too at nights, not heard or seen anyone fall asleep in here but have heard of it elsewhere. I've got my sleep pattern down pretty good now where I can utilise my days off to do something constructive as opposed to lay about if tired.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I try studying, but my shifts (even nightshifts) pass really quick. I wish I had more time tbh.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    You have downtime? The only downtime I have is called lunch...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow