Options

VCP510 exam preparation

mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
For the past month and a half I've been typing up notes for the VCP5 exam. I've gotten up to Objective 5.4 (59 pages thus far) and run out of steam and wondering if I've been wasting my time. I love notes, but at this point it feels like I'm writing a book that I'm none too sure I want to finish. Plus, the sheer quantity of information is overwhelming me to the point that it's all I can do to open the study guides I'm reading.

So, those of you who've successfully passed the VCP5 did you do extensive notes, some notes, or no notes at all in addition to labbing? I’m thinking that it might be best to just abandon the notes and cram as much labbing in as I can before I take my test in 11 days, but I also hate the idea of abandoning all that work.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I am in the same boat, as I take extensive notes to help soak up the material, but I also feel like I am re-writing the Master vSphere 5 book when studying and it has slowed my pace of study. To get through one section of a chapter it can take 2-3 hours, and that is covering maybe 4-6 pages.

I've had to switch gears back to learning some firewall stuff for my work place, but my new approach to studying will be mainly watching videos on how to perform certain functions and then performing those functions as I can in my lab.

I don't feel like I am necessarily wasting my time if I learn how to navigate and understand the environment, but I do feel that this information will quickly be lost after I pass the exam as I don't work with it daily, and I already paid for the exam after getting a voucher for the class through my work.

I think you just need to find a way to get through the exam with as much practical knowledge as possible, and hope you pick up a job that will reinforce that knowledge so it's not lost immediately, but otherwise I've heard nothing but complaints about the exam regarding the training material and questions presented.

I enjoy the knowledge I am gaining from labbing and reading, but I am not looking forward to exam day at all, I kind of miss my Cisco studies at this point.
  • Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    Writing a book on the subject should greatly increase retention of the information, and help crystallize your thoughts on the matter.

That said, you might find a study partner and write each other questions on the objectives.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    The VCP5 is the hardest exam i've taken IMO. The more knowledge you can arm yourself with, the better. Keep progressing through the book as you have been. It'll seem boring at times but it's worth it in the end.
  • Options
    The book isn't the problem - it's typing up the notes that is beginning to cause me a headache. I'm going to continue reading the study guides, but at this point much of the material is not conducive to note-taking and I think I'll be better off labbing through it.
  • Options
    I'd suggest the trainsignal video series for vSphere 5 as well, I personally think that coupled with labbing while going through the videos is much easier than reading through the book. I'd suggest getting a lab setup resource to help you initially setup your lab environment, then walk through the video series in your lab environment to familiarize yourself.

Any topics that need to be cleared up from the video series I plan to use the book for, though I suppose I haven't even looked at sample questions yet so I'm not sure how effective of a plan that will be in regards to the actual exam.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well I labbed extensively and took a lot of notes, note-taking is important but labbing it up is paramount. With 11 days to go, are you in review mode yet? If not, I suggest you start going through your notes and lab up as you go. To gauge your preparation, go through the practice questions on mwpreston.net. Exam quality questions there.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    To add to that, here is the PDF format of that site owners notes:

http://blog.mwpreston.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/03/OMG-Study-Guide.pdf

Really good study notes, almost as extensive as the book :)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yep, and go through the "Your Daily VMware Quiz" thread, if you arent already, for some good questions and tips.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    One more thing I'd advise from my own studying the last month or so, is if you don't absolutely need to take the exam now and you're not prepared, just push it out a ways.

I was getting frustrated the last few weeks because my study time was constantly being cut into by friends and family, as I am getting closer to my June 28th exam date, but I decided that I am fine with pushing it back a month so I can enjoy my vacation in June and not fry my brain studying non-stop. So that is my absolute best advice, is if you don't have to sweat it, don't sweat it!
  • Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    Push it back too far and you'll be taking the VCP550 exam. FYI.
  • Options
    After contemplating this topic I actually got home from work an put away 15-20 pages of Chapter 3 of Mastering vSphere, I think the install chapters are my kryptonite, as they are soooooo damn dry. Going to tough it out and finish the 30 pages I have left of chapter 3 tonight at all costs, then Update Manager chapter next to cover before it moves into the topics I am interested in learning.

I'd hope VMware would be decent enough to give a 2-3 month heads up on retiring an exam, which I don't think I'd have a problem with crunching it in that time frame, right now I just have so many things relevant to my job that I want to familiarise myself with that it's been a challenge to learn things that aren't relevant to my current role.

Though I feel the knowledge and VCP cert will open up a lot of doors at my work place, even if I don't work with it much now, so back to thd grind I go with earning those 3 letters :)
  • Options
    I'm in the final sprint for the exam - 4 more days until I take the VCP510. I've finished reading the Sybex study guide, the official VMware Study Guide, reading over MW Preston's wonderful study guide, watching the Pluralsight VCP5 video, and labbing things up in Workstation. I've been doing the MeasureUp practice exams and scoring in the low 90's, however the Sybex practice exam was an absolute disaster score-wise. I'm not sure how effective a measure of success the practice exams are, however, so I'm a bit nervous about the exam. What else can I do in the last few days to supercharge my chances of success (and don't say reschedule for a later date - I'm on a clock and I only have 3 weeks left as it stands, so there's no room for delaying any more)?
  • Options
    SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mguernsey wrote: »
    I'm in the final sprint for the exam - 4 more days until I take the VCP510. I've finished reading the Sybex study guide, the official VMware Study Guide, reading over MW Preston's wonderful study guide, watching the Pluralsight VCP5 video, and labbing things up in Workstation. I've been doing the MeasureUp practice exams and scoring in the low 90's, however the Sybex practice exam was an absolute disaster score-wise. I'm not sure how effective a measure of success the practice exams are, however, so I'm a bit nervous about the exam. What else can I do in the last few days to supercharge my chances of success (and don't say reschedule for a later date - I'm on a clock and I only have 3 weeks left as it stands, so there's no room for delaying any more)?

I used measure for a few exams (not VCP ) and found them as hard , if not harder than the real thing.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the MW Preston notes and practice tests as well as the VMware labs.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe