Options

Desktop Support position

rdzdubzrdzdubz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Fellow Techexamers,

I am finally jumping out of the help desk realm and jumping into desktop support! I have done over 4 different help desk positions for 4 different companies, but now Im taking the next step in my career. I was wondering if there was any tips/tricks/online information that I can read up on to help me in my duties as a desktop support technician. I am pretty nervous, but the company that is hiring me knows that I am a beginner...any help that anyone can provide will definitely be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jose

Comments

• Options
    alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Desktop Support isn't much different than the help desk (depending on your responsibilities), when I was promoted I had to focus more on my in person customer service skills and just learning more about systems such as active directory ect. I don't think you will have much trouble with desktop support though with 4 years experience.
  • Options
    Desktop Support isn't much different than the help desk (depending on your responsibilities), when I was promoted I had to focus more on my in person customer service skills and just learning more about systems such as active directory ect. I don't think you will have much trouble with desktop support though with 4 years experience.

here is a basic job description of what I'll be doing:

desktop support technicians will be supportingthe internal employees' workstations and other peripherals (i.e. printers).They will be working out of a ticketing system (ServiceNow) so any ticketingexperience is a plus. This person will be conducting tier 1 imaging supportsand deployments. This company currently operates in a windows 7 environment, sowill not require any migration experience.

I know 2 of the software they use is SCCM and Symantec Ghost, which I really wanted to get some experience with. With a basic job description like this, I dont think they will have me doing too much...I guess I will be a Junior Desktop Support person which I am happy with because it sure was a pay raise from what Im making now, so Im not complaining.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I currently do Desktop Support and I came in with 0 professional experience. I enjoy it because there's always something new to learn.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    I currently do Desktop Support and I came in with 0 professional experience. I enjoy it because there's always something new to learn.

Im kinda on the same boat. I mean, I did some over the phone browser troubleshooting and proprietary application troubleshooting, but never any deskside support type responsibilities. Im definitely excited to get more hands on, but I only plan on being in Desktop support for 2-3 years. I'm told by multiple project managers that I''ve worked with over the years and through interviews that Cloud computing will slash alot of the desktop support positions, so they tell me not to stay stuck in Desktop support, but i definitely dont plan to stay in Desktop support for too long.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rdzdubz wrote: »
    Im kinda on the same boat. I mean, I did some over the phone browser troubleshooting and proprietary application troubleshooting, but never any deskside support type responsibilities. Im definitely excited to get more hands on, but I only plan on being in Desktop support for 2-3 years. I'm told by multiple project managers that I''ve worked with over the years and through interviews that Cloud computing will slash alot of the desktop support positions, so they tell me not to stay stuck in Desktop support, but i definitely dont plan to stay in Desktop support for too long.

You still need a machine rather it be desktop, laptop, mobile, etc to access the cloud data that will need some type of support. My plan is 2 years tops and then moving on to Networking.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Put your walking shoes on.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    Congrats on the new position, like Tremie wrote above you will be walking more to the customers desk for issues such as blue screens, printer set ups ect...I've used SCCM and Symantec Ghost to image it's not that hard to learn...just relax and learn everything you can and plan on how your going to move to up to an administrator.
  • Options
    ousebgousebg Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well congrats! Im still doing help-desk for as long back as my memory serves me... Congrats again and Maybe consider doing A+ and Network+, seems more relevant !
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Desktop Support isn't much different than the help desk (depending on your responsibilities), when I was promoted I had to focus more on my in person customer service skills and just learning more about systems such as active directory ect.

This is big.

Being able to defuse the irrate, calm the jittery and make the grumpy smile is a big part of desktop. If you can first settle them down and make them realize whatever is happening can probably be fixed, then get down to your technical business you will do pretty well.

If you have a mentor/champion, don't be afraid to call them but at the same time your first bet should be google. IF you have other "teams" that handle specific parts of IT (like networking or applications) keep that in mind that sometimes you cant fix an issue, you just have to know when its not your problem (sounds bad, but you know what I mean) and it belongs in another teams work que.

I would mention documenting the work performed/etc is important, but I would be willing to bet after 4 years in helpdesk you know this :)

Congrats!
  • Options
    rdzdubz wrote: »

Google and Microsoft could come out today with a free service like this and I know my employer would take 5+ years to adopt SOME of it. There will probably always be a need for desktop support in some respect. Just because the technology is there, doesn't mean it will be used. Cost is not always numero uno, even in a business.
  • Options
    amigo23amigo23 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »

What were your qualifications to get this position? I assume you have certifications, right?
  • Options
    amigo23 wrote: »
    What were your qualifications to get this position? I assume you have certifications, right?

While I am not who you asked, I too pretty much dumb lucked into a Tier 2 position. I had 3 months of interning under my belt with a 2 month gap between jobs. A+ and ITIL F at the time I got hired.