Options

Getting first IT job

ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
Hi all,

I am just looking for some advice for reentering the IT field. My long term goal is to work as either a network or systems engineer. What are some good first IT jobs that would get me where I would like to be? What are some good areas to relocate to? I live in Michigan and it looks like the only entry level position in my area is a part-time job as a Staples technician.

Background: I graduated from a Cisco academy (top student) while in high school and landed a full-time internship at small IT consulting/web hosting company. Unfortunately I was let go after the owner discovered I was torrenting movies and video games (April 2007). Since I was let go I have worked at McDonalds for 5 years with 3 years in management, served in the Marine Corps Reserves 4 years, and for the last year and a half I’ve been working as a full-time bank teller. I will also have my Bachelors of Business administration in Finance next month:).

Qualifications:
A+ and Network+ Certified
Currently administering Cisco 2621XM router with 13+ devices
Three years of management experience leading a team of 20+ employees
Graduating with a BBA: Finance while working full-time and serving in the USMC
10+ years building, repairing and troubleshooting computers
Graduated two year program in Computer Networking with 4.0 GPA

Computer Skills:
Knowledge of VPNs including PPTP and OpenVpn
Managed home web and file server with Linux Mint/Apache
Experience in web design and web hosting including HTML, CSS, and Apache
Working towards CCENT and CCNA certifications
Built and maintained systems running Windows and Linux
Imagined computers with Norton Ghost
Basic knowledge in programming

Comments

• Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    haha you ran torrents on works ISP connection?
    awesome.
    but it looks like you improved since then so good job. Your experience tells me help desk/ desktop support position may work, you can also look for jobs like network technician. I would just completely avoid the internship experience since you were fired, and apply that experience to other positions you did.

If you go to school for ccent/ccna (like community college) get cool with the people in the classes. Really, just have a positive attitude willingness to learn, and come across as a personable person. Networking with others is HUGE in I.T. even if it starts at the bottom.

Best of luck!! :)
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems like you know what you are doing, so with having a bachelors, even in finance, along with a few IT certs, you shoul be able to get in for some interviews. Desktop support is one option. If you come across a junior admin of someone they want to train to be "their guy", that may be another option.

I'm going to send you a private message.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Ex marine? Did you have a clearance before? If you had a clearance you may get it reactivated and get into a govt or military contract. I know Quantico were looking for Network and System Admins. I reside in the DC/VA/MD area. I get calls all the time to work at Bolling AFB( did a 3 month contract there ), Navy Yard, Quantico, Fort Belvoir, Fort Meade, and Aberdeen Proving Ground( far up north past Baltimore ).