Options

Don't neglect your 'soft skills'!

BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
Know how to talk to and deal with people! All kinds of people: technical, semi-technical, and non-technical. Know how to tell the difference between those types of people. Don't be rude or condescending, always be courteous and professional. Realize that you don't know everything, when to say, "I don't know, let me find out.", and how to follow through to resolution. Technical skills might get you noticed, but will only take you so far, it's people skills that make life easier.

I hope this helps someone out there. I have a subordinate working help-desk that just doesn't get it, and absolutely no one wants to deal with him for help. He won't last.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bossk wrote: »
    I hope this helps someone out there. I have a subordinate working help-desk that just doesn't get it, and absolutely no one wants to deal with him for help. He won't last.

Remind him that if everyone is technically competent then he would be out of a job! Or look at it this way, if you are an internal helpdesk then the company's employees are his customers and if he isn't making the customers happy or treating them poorly...

Also, are you recording his calls? If you are then sit down with him and play them back to him so he hear how he sounds with you sitting there. Usually that will help get the point across. (I worked about 3 years at an ISP helpdesk while in college)
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My original intent wasn't to rant about him. Just hoping that someone maybe sees this and something clicks. If your job is to help people, no reason to be a ding-dong doing it.
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I struggled in this area when I first started. Took a while to finally catch on but it did eventually happen. Now if I can just get over my Monday morning/Friday afternoon syndrome.