Options

Question about Datacenters and ESXi hosts

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
I'm setting up my first Datacenter and ESXi objects in vCenter, in my nested lab I have two ESXi hosts, and I am wondering if for the sake of practicing vMotion / FT / other features if I should put the ESXi hosts on two seperate Datacenter objects or both on the same Datacenter.

I'm sure I can go back and adjust if I stick them both on the same Datacenter object and it's not what I need, but was hoping someone could chime in with some perspective on why or why not you'd do it one way or the other.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Put both in the same datacenter for now, a datacenter is a vMotion boundary so you wont be able to play with vMotion/DRS etc if you put them in separate datacenters. Put them in different datacenters later for practicing cold migration/importing etc...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I tend to make 2 in one datacenter (running 5.5) and then a third is a second datacenter running 5.1 - It can provide for showing limitations of mixed sites, etc. and then sometimes will move the 5.1 host into the first DC and move a 5.5 host out to the other for further play.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Yeah I'm considering building a whitebox server to run more hosts on, or just purchase a decent tower depending on how much effort I'm feeling like putting into it. The end of chapter 3 of Mastering vSphere 5 as really interesting for me, finally diving into some practical concepts rather than just installation notes, such a welcome relief and got to work with the lab.

Got some wind back in my sails for studying, feels good :) Kind of considering trading in my laptop back to microcenter for a laptop that can rock 32gb RAM, but holding off to see if I will really need the extra RAM to rock it to the fullest.