Options

Resume Thoughts?

Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am eyeing what I think looks like a perfect job for me (information security manager), and was hoping to get thoughts and opinions on my resume before I apply. I know I have hopped a bit the last couple of positions, but am fully prepared to discuss those concerns should I get an interview. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my first impression after open it was "woahh what a wall of text", in fact, didn't read further.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tom, I'd say there's a lot of good info in your resume, but it gets lost in the blah, blah, blah.

I'd shorten the summary at the top to no more than a header and six lines. Honestly, your summary of qualifications just wouldn't draw me in. I'd start more general, then hone in on a few big rock quals. I would also be more concise with your job descriptions, and look at the formatting of those descriptions. There's nothing in particular that's badly formatted, but overall it just looks like there's a lot of wasted space, forcing extra lines that are unnecessary, almost like your goal was to make it fill two full pages. Also, I'd write previous job descriptions in past tense and try to keep from having bullets that go more than 2 lines.

Education and certs is good, but you might try using two columns of two. Again, saves a couple of lines, but also a little less boring to the eye. Also, what's your BA in? Guessing your major is not IT related so you avoided, but if it shows business knowledge (bus admin, accounting, econ) I'd put it in, and if it shows communications skills (English, teaching, etc.) I'd put it in. Frankly, if it might cause notice or discussion (this guy got a degree in scuba diving!) I'd put it in. Really, not too many majors I'd leave out.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    Joe
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'd be interested to see what Tom's resume looks like after a touch-up, as I'm currently working on mine and it has similar issues.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers