Options

CCNA Job Market

gcrgcr Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys!

I recently passed CCENT and am currently preparing ICND2. I've read in a bunch of forums that in today's market CCNAs are mostly hired for help desk positions. Is that 100% true?

Way back I worked in IT for 5 years managing 5 Microsoft file/printer + exchange servers located in different sites. I only knew the basics of Cisco router configs. Enough to make all the LANs talk to each other. That was 10 years ago though. Now I want to get back in IT but wanna specialize on networking and security. Should I go all the way to CCNP security before starting to apply for any jobs?

I'll appreciate some advice and in sights on today's market!

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have no idea what the job market is like for CCNA in your area but you dont give us enough personal information to offer any real feedback.

if your unemployed you might consider taking the help desk job. If your independanly wealthy you might go for your CCNP before job hunting. Obviously im joking a bit but there is no reason not to apply for promising job listings if you feel your qualified.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Ok, here's a bit more info about my situation.

Most of the positions CCNA related I see in my area ask for 2+ years experience. I'm 36 and currently self employed in a different industry.

I've always had a deep interest on networking but never got the time to fully study and learn in detail how all this technology works. Back in the day I just knw enough to have all my servers and pcs talk and spent most of my time manging the server doing backups some support. Since at the moment I've got some flexibility on my schedule I decided to puruse my CCNA and try to get back on the game.

During my CCENT labbing, while implementing ACLs on my lab's router the connects to the Internet, I've found that several piblic IPs where continuously trying to establish telnet, ssh and a few FTP and snmp connections to my public IP. I did some research on how to harden the security of that router and realized that security is the route I want to take once I'm done with my CCNA.

I guess my best bet is to keep pushing on my studies and labbing, take my chances and apply to every CCNA job posting I find whith the hope that somebody might give me a chance.
  • Options
    I am in a similar position myself. 40 years old and employed in a declining printing industry position. I have decided I will be better off switching into an IT related field as the job opportunities will be greater for the next 20+ years of my career.

I am currently doing some volunteer/intern work for the summer to get exposure to the working environment. If you are self employed this might be a possibility for you also. I still work full time but put in a couple hours each morning volunteering before I start my normal job.

I do think it will benifit you to start working any IT related position to gain work experience and give you the opportunity to pursue higher positions in the future. However you have to consider your own time and money situation to know what you can manage. There are a lot of helpful people on this site to help keep you motivated. I recommend you stick around and participate and any conversations you can. It will help you focus on what is going on in the IT world.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    @Jon_Cisco where do you volunteer? sometimes finding someone who will let you this can be just as hard getting an internship
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I work in a JOAT's job and when I started I wasn't nearly qualified for it like I should have been but my boss said he hired me cause I wasn't political; whatever the frig that meant. I think I interviewed for well over 30 jobs in 2008 to 2010 and I worked about 4 jobs in the time only short ones about 3 to 4 months each but it gave me a ton of experience that landed me my current job.

In any hoot I was hired as a junior administrator but 4 weeks after being hired the senior administrator left and it all fell on my shoulders. let me tell you it was insane and now 3 years later I'm involved in every aspect of IT it's not even funny. Considering I learned so quickly they never thought to hire another person... some days I would kill for one more person...

Start small and then work outward.... I probably won't be at my current job another 2 more years. my plan is to get CCNA and VCP and then look elsewhere. Currently I solely manage 1500 users in 3 different locations with 32 servers on 4 VMware 5.1 hosts. it's not an easy task but thankfully I've master GPO's, login scripts, automation and roaming profiles/storage so my tasks now these days are simple comparatively..

it's freaking nutso sometimes but I now know servers, routers, switches, exchange, dns/dhcp, AD FS, AD CS, basically everything you need for a secure/modern enterprise infrastructure all without any prior working certifications just the willingness to learn. I've found employers really like someone that can learn and learn fast. I'm only 29 but I sometimes think I do the load of what 4 to 5 people should be doing...

morale of my story I've gotten offers as of the recent that said if I had CCNA in the Tri-State area I could get a job making 85k so that's a goal. I guess I'm lucky to live 40 miles from NYC. I've had recruiters asked me how long ive been in enterprise IT for and they are surprised by how much I know when I say only 3 years. I guess my skill-sets are in high demand..... I really think CCNA or anything Cisco/Microsoft will pay well you just have to have experience and the will to get your foot in the door...
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    @Jon_Cisco where do you volunteer? sometimes finding someone who will let you this can be just as hard getting an internship
    I agree there are few companies that will just take you in as a volunteer. It is often recommended but not always easy to do. The IT department I am working with works with the local community college in the area to provide internships. I am not an intern yet but was allowed to come in and get a feel for what they do. I expect to intern with them next year which is how I found my opening.

I think it's important to put your name out and express interest to anyone in the field. If you run into someone that supports training they may be willing to work with you.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I feel that CCNP Security goes hand in hand with CCNP R&S, as every business now has site to site VPN's they need configured / maintained, so CCNP Security would give you a good foot in the door for networking engineering type jobs as well as security related roles.

I'd start re-accumulating IT experience ASAP, as the really aged experience probably will not net you many interviews without some current experience to show your interest in the field.
  • Options
    Thanks to you all for the good advice!
    I will start knocking some doors to see if I can get a junior networking position with my CCENT and previous IT experience and keep working on ICND2.

Best to all!
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since nobody else said it NOC positions are also viable as well.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think CCNA is geared towards help desk jobs...I would say Jr. Network Admin at the least. Good luck :)
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Thanks again everybody for your input!