Options

How many desktop support tickets do you do a day?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Those of you who are doing desktop support, how many tickets do you do a day?

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I worked on 63 tickets last week. Escalated five of those and closed all but 4. That's 54?

I read on here a few times that people work on certs/read books during slow times during desktop/help desk. With how my employment is setup, there is no downtime/slow time.

[Begin_Hijack]

I've been wondering and I think OP might be interested in this as well, how many of the TE community are in jobs that correlate the amount of documented "time on task" (ToT) to the amount of hours put on your time card?

example: I had 37 hours of ToT this week, 41 hours on the time card so my utilization is 90% (target is 97%).

[/hijack]
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    briangl wrote: »
    Those of you who are doing desktop support, how many tickets do you do a day?

I used to do 50-60/day on 1st and 2nd shift but now I work a not very busy 3rd shift (im the only 3rd-shift employee (work at home) so im the manager, tech, and various other roles all at the same time) with 0-20/day. :)

jobs that correlate the amount of documented "time on task" (ToT) to the amount of hours put on your time card?

40 hours on time card a week with 10-15 of actual work. guess I have a cushy job. I use the free time to study my wgu class material.

edit: Eventually, I will need to venture into job roles better suited for me and I imagine, my tot will be closer to chris.
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    In the case of 50-60/day, what did most of these actually entail? I'm generally closing 35-50/week. The real time killers for me are:

- New hire setups (takes anywhere from 1-1.5 hours a piece because of a crappy process, we are getting 3-20 a week with the intern season, and each new hire setup is only 1 ticket)
    - New hire orientation (1.5-2 hours per week)
    - Stand up meetings (1.5 hours per week)
    - Team meeting (1 hour per week)
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say between 1-5, sometimes as many as 10. I'm part of a 2-man desktop support team for a school district (~1,500 students and staff, combined), and since the school year is drawing to a close, we haven't had many issues. Once summer hits, we'll be shifting gears though. Lots of projects scheduled.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I perform 30-40 tickets a week. The average time on most tickets is low, but I have other work that is assigned to me. So of the 40 hours a week I work only 15-20 is actually allocated towards support, the rest is allocated towards regulatory compliance.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I'm doing 2nd line tickets, if that counts. I get cca 10 a shift. Mostly email traces, server down, website slow but I get some odd ones as well.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In our company most of the clients don't log tickets it's just a small number of clients that log tickets on our system, the overwhelming majority prefers calling in directly and skipping the ticket Que(That's were most of our difficult customers are at). Most of the tickets that are logged are usually second line or third line level of tickets so I escalate a number of them but on a busy I might take on 3-5 level one tickets and more on the calls.
  • Options
    Great reply's! Very eye opening, I always wondered what other desktop roles were like.

@Snow.bros: I dont know the culture at your employer but see if your boss will push to require more users to submit tickets. We have been directed to ignore all direct request (and instruct them to call the helpdesk first, walk them through the process, etc...not just say no we cant help and hang up) and push everyone into the Que's. It has helped us to prioritize our work when possible, streamline the process and allows us to keep a better view of the problem areas now that everything is being tracked via tickets.

Last week my tickets consisted of:
    Missing network drives
    Cant find app on new PC
    Printer not printing certain character combos
    New PC missing required app
    Lots of zero/thin clients not reaching log in screen
    badge reader not reading badges
    Chase down two mobile PC's and check the encryption - report to national level team on results
    PC not POSTing
    PC randomly locks up
    Certain App cant print
    Touch screen not working
    Dymo label printer no printing
    Add network printers to new PC
    Unable to access Citrix apps
    Setup personal PC for home use (VPN)
    Laptop missing "7" key
    Dragon not initializing
    Setup 3 new users w/laptops
    Unable to access Citrix apps (#2)
    PC - no domain found
    IE "running out of memory at line..."

Thats a pretty accurate smattering of what we see on a daily basis. Mix in some Symantec "unable to login" stuff, some ID10T errors and occasionally other teams ask us to be there eyes/ears/hands on for a certain problem.

This is a 7 man (was 8 "people" but our female coworker just left), half of us are devoted to "refresh" the other half are incident.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    IE "running out of memory at line..."

You work in healthcare, right? I used to get this error a lot due to the ancient web-based applications that different sites used at my last job (also a hospital). Disabling the memory overrun protection in IE fixed it (sadly), but getting any of the healthcare informatics teams to update their applications was like pulling teeth.
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SteveFT wrote: »
    In the case of 50-60/day, what did most of these actually entail? I'm generally closing 35-50/week. The real time killers for me are:

- New hire setups (takes anywhere from 1-1.5 hours a piece because of a crappy process, we are getting 3-20 a week with the intern season, and each new hire setup is only 1 ticket)
    - New hire orientation (1.5-2 hours per week)
    - Stand up meetings (1.5 hours per week)
    - Team meeting (1 hour per week)

Honestly, 75% of them are telling people how to use my companies software to take a photo....lol You know, place camera in front of you, click button, and move on. I work for exam proctoring company and apparently, that is part of my job.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was working help desk, I would do about 20 a night (including call in tickets).

On Friday nights, there would be no one at work to call in for help, so I would work account admin issues (password resets, account creations, etc.). Since there was nothing else to do, I could close out about 100.

Supposedly someone got fired for only completing 3 tickets on a Friday night shift.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    When I was working help desk, I would do about 20 a night (including call in tickets).

On Friday nights, there would be no one at work to call in for help, so I would work account admin issues (password resets, account creations, etc.). Since there was nothing else to do, I could close out about 100.

Supposedly someone got fired for only completing 3 tickets on a Friday night shift.

lol @ the last part.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do Desktop II. It really depends, there is such a wide variance in tickets and every day is different. Some days I can go through 20 tickets, some days it is 2 or 3.

I also have remote sites, that I cant always fix remotely. That can eat up a day quickly.