Options

Advice: 45 Year Old am off my rocker wanting to get involved in IT

MauiMaui Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Long story short I was an IT major in college back in 95 however I found out by luck I had a skill for design, printing and prepress. I switched to something much easier just to complete school with the least amount of pain so I could begin working as quickly as possible. That decision has paid off financially. Since leaving college in my mid 20's my income has ranged from 80k to over a 100k yearly with overtime. I'm posting that info because I want to get a realistic figure of income if I decide at 45 to go for "it" and follow what has always been a passion and a disappointment for me that being I never followed through with an Information technology degree. My goal is to change careers and work in IT the last 20 or so years I have left before retiring.
Currently I am enrolled at AMU as a credit for transfer student mainly because I wanted to get a few math courses under my belt and since I am an active member of the Air Force reserve it was logical choice. I"ve read the forum enough to know WGU may be the way to go so transferring the math courses I've done at AMU will not be an issue along with my B&M credits from long ago.
My question is at my age is this a pipe dream? I have no "real" experience I can learn from books and other forms of education with the best of them. I'm old enough to do what it takes to get experience and financially I could do it for awhile on a part time basis hell I'd work for free if someone wants to teach me. How long would it take me to get back to my current salary if I ever could? Would employers have a problem with hiring someone with my background after completing a program like the one they have at WGU? Big post if you read it and answer I really owe you one. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Maybe 10-15 years? It's hard to tell but you will basically be starting at ground zero. What you learned in the 90s is so unsophisticated compared to what is going on today. I mean within the last 10 years security has grown exponentially in importance but in the 90s was this nice to have thing that nobody cared much about. Your best bet would probably be if you had experience in management or maybe project management? Those type of roles are far enough away from the technology where you might have the best shot. Help desk positions are maybe $25-40k, next level maybe 40-60, 60-75, 75-90 (very senior or management)...these are estimates but for more technical jobs those are the levels one could expect with at least a few years in each depending on skills/demand.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Maui,

I am a few years older than you, have been retired since 2006 and have now decided to venture down the path to certification on some of this stuff, so no, you are not nuts or off your rocker.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd say if you have a certain life style you need to uphold financially to probably stick with your current field to be completely honest, starting out in IT from the very bottom rung of the ladder is a long journey, and in 5 years you may very well still be in the 30k salary range. I've heard from my older peers at college who were also re-entering the field and graduating with IT degrees / certifications, that they couldn't hardly find a job because they made so much in their previous career, that employers didn't believe they will take the job seriously for the compensation being offered.

If you are only rejoining the field out of passion for IT then I would say full steam ahead, but from what I have seen among the older folks I've progressed through my IT career with, they have not gotten along far. Some because of the golden egg rule mentioned above, some because they do not have the drive to compete with the emerging wave of IT kids, and unfortunately some because of age discrimination (which I have seen happen quite a lot).

I don't mean to rain on your parade at all, that is just my real assessment, and I hope you do what is best for yourself or your family. It is possible to break into the industry, but starting the race so late, you have a LOT of catching up to do if your end goal is anywhere near the 100K pay grade.

Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, 45 is not old.
    Second, I suspect you will pick up quickly because the 'old' stuff the kids are chiming in about ;) actually needed a bit more understanding then all the plug-n-play and auto searched drivers found in the current OS.
    Lastly, I would skip the focus on salary. Too many variable fall into what an employer is willing to pay and what skills the he candidate possesses AND can use.

Create a three, five and ten year plan for yourself. Work with a school counselor and see what type of placement opportunities may exist in your area. See if you have co-op type opportunities with your college, and if not, if locally, any employers are willing it accept an employee they can grow (while you continue schooling and return 'x' years of service for their investment into you.

You may find freelancing more lucrative once you get up to speed. Nevertheless, there is a lot of work ahead, but being military...I doubt this will be a problem for you :)

Good luck and welcome!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Free lancing is the way I am going to go, I will be one of the few in my particular area that will have the certifications, as well as I have been my wife's company IT support for many years now, so I am not to worried about the income as much as I am just getting back out in the field. I am fortunate, I have a healthy retirement income, so if I fall flat on my face, I will only be loosing time and not money.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One, yes, you are crazy. And that is not a bad thing. Essentially, it provides the ability to pay no attention to the naysayers out there (and you will come across them, believe me) and troop on ahead. Often, that stubbornness will be the key ingredient.

Two, your time in the AFR and the civilian job may provide you with the necessary experience to get involved in the security side of IT, if that is your thing. Know this, though, that having a security cert or two without some real-world IT experience will hinder you. Expect to pay your dues. I would say, given your age and assuming you are mature, then you might be able to drive up the salary ladder a bit faster than some of the younger ones.

As mentioned, draw up a multi-year plan. Research the different specialties within IT (Linux, Windows Servers, networking, security, desktop OSes, etc) and set up a home lab so you can experiment. The suggestion to look into project management is a great one, unless you are intending to be more technical. If you already have a bachelor degree, consider a masters in information systems or, at least, a graduate level certificate in IS/IT/Cyber-security.

As an aside, I, too, am over forty (forty-three this summer). I just broke into professional IT a year or so ago after a 22 year career in the USAF. You can make it happen if you want to. I expect, in the next year or so, to double my salary. It is possible, you just need to assess the situation, plan carefully, and execute as flawlessly as possible.

Good luck and connect with me on LinkedIn (see below).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As others have stated, you will take a hit on pay. Since you said that isn't an issue, go for it; 45 isn't old if that is what you enjoy doing.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am 54. You, are not off your recker. Go for it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate the sound and honest advice. If your interested I'm certainly going to do this however it will be difficult I'm at least for awhile going to figure out a plan to straddle both worlds. I really like the advice of looking into Information Technology Management great Idea for a guy with my background.
    Great Forum I'm going to stay active on here hopefully a few of you really do become what I would consider a friend. If anyone is in the Cincinnati/ Dayton ohio area let me know I'll buy you a beer sometime. Cheers mates!
    maui
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Have you considered IT certifications such as the A+? It might be better to get that first before getting a degree since many IT positions do not require a related degree.
  • Options
    jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The biggest factor in money is location. You said Ohio area? Unfortunately I have no idea how it is there. You also stated that you are AFR... do you have any security clearances?

I know the normal road is to take a help desk spot for a few years, then an admin spot a few years, etc. But if you push yourself, you are spending way too much time at those spots. I went from network technician (knew nothing, no certs) to net admin to lead net admin to lead net engineer to my current position of net engineer in 4 years. Got my CCNP in 6 weeks... 2 weeks for each tests, 8 hours of study/labbing for 6 days a week.

So if you REALLY have a passion for IT, you will fly right by 80% of the people in the field. I have seen people make careers out of helpdesk because they got to $45k and were happy. In a year of concerted effort, drive to learn, lab and get a couple certs... you will be over $60k... just be prepared to give the time away from fun and family to make that happen.

Oh and try to encroach on the IT guys while in your reserves spot. From my experience, they have always let me have some wiggle room when I was active in trying some other things. Maybe one day a week, go hang out in the NOC and talk to those guys.
  • Options
    The biggest factor in money is location. You said Ohio area? Unfortunately I have no idea how it is there. You also stated that you are AFR... do you have any security clearances?

Yes I do have a security clearance. I certainly have lots of options in this area I have close friends who are high on the food chain with companies located In Cincinnati (i.e. GE avaition, Proctor and Gamble, Amazon, Government entities etc.) they may not work in IT per say but it wouldn't take much for me to get my resume pushed. And to be honest I've been with my current civilian employer for 17 years. I'm well respected in my current position if I get the degree and a little knowledge to back it up I doubt it would take much to transfer into an IT/business scope keeping my current salary, if I can show I'm more beneficial in that role. At first glance I wasn't sure if it could work financially, however putting it down on paper as an outline of a 2 year plan it may be more promising than I had suspected I may be able to pull this off without much of hit to our family lifestyle. Of course no plan is without flaw if the gods aren't smiling down.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am 41 and been in the IT field since I was 17. The stuff I learned in the 90s helps me out to this day but things have changed alot. You are never too old to go for your dreams. Do not worry about monies because you can move up fast in 5 years.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    mikelau13mikelau13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maui wrote: »
    Yes I do have a security clearance. I certainly have lots of options in this area I have close friends who are high on the food chain with companies located In Cincinnati (i.e. GE avaition, Proctor and Gamble, Amazon, Government entities etc.) they may not work in IT per say but it wouldn't take much for me to get my resume pushed. And to be honest I've been with my current civilian employer for 17 years. I'm well respected in my current position if I get the degree and a little knowledge to back it up I doubt it would take much to transfer into an IT/business scope keeping my current salary, if I can show I'm more beneficial in that role. At first glance I wasn't sure if it could work financially, however putting it down on paper as an outline of a 2 year plan it may be more promising than I had suspected I may be able to pull this off without much of hit to our family lifestyle. Of course no plan is without flaw if the gods aren't smiling down.

+1 on that

IT/business is definitely the best way to go.

Otherwise, if you are aiming to become an full I.T.-only person, I would say 45 is too old to start for you, and don't forget the fact that the older you are the slower you can learn in general. By the time you are senior enough to make $100k, on average we are talking about 10 years (study + experience) later and you do need some luck.
  • Options
    mikelau13 wrote: »
    +1 on that

IT/business is definitely the best way to go.

Glad you agree with my approach to all of this. Its nice to have some buy-in from someone currently in the field.
  • Options
    mikelau13 wrote: »

Otherwise, if you are aiming to become an full I.T.-only person, I would say 45 is too old to start for you, and don't forget the fact that the older you are the slower you can learn in general. By the time you are senior enough to make $100k, on average we are talking about 10 years (study + experience) later and you do need some luck.

I would like to know your source on this???

Besides, even if it were ten years, that makes him 55, not old at all.
    But I want some proof on that statement, because I happen to know folks who have made this work.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I've heard from my older peers at college who were also re-entering the field and graduating with IT degrees / certifications, that they couldn't hardly find a job because they made so much in their previous career, that employers didn't believe they will take the job seriously for the compensation being offered.

This is not the first time I have heard this. In fact while I was between projects I got desperate and went for a project coordinator position that was paying 25 or so. They said I was over qualified and that my previous billable was too high for them to match and they wanted to bring someone in who they could groom. The recruiter was actually really cool and he told me don't take it personal but that means they think I am an early flight risk.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maui wrote: »
    Glad you agree with my approach to all of this. Its nice to have some buy-in from someone currently in the field.

I want proof too because I am learning the same as I was at 18.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You may be of your rocker, but don't let that keep you for going for it.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I would like to know your source on this???

Besides, even if it were ten years, that makes him 55, not old at all.
    But I want some proof on that statement, because I happen to know folks who have made this work.

Do you mean source for "older learn slower" or "10 years to become $100k"?

No doubt that I also believe some folks can make this work, I am stupid if I am going to argue with that; but on the other hand I know few folks who are not doing well about this.

There is another thread in this forum that people are posting their salary, and I think it's very common to see that for those who have less than 7 years working experience, very few of them can make over $90k unless they do a lot of overtime. Of course I know this is not a very good source but it still can tell you the big picture.

"Older learn slower" have been having a lot of research papers, and it is also a common observations. Personally, I am 30ish and I seriously think that I don't learn as quick as a 20ish young guy when comparing in general, and I don't think it's only me...

I know I am not very nice here to discourage someone from learning a new field, but the reality is that healthy and brain power will start to have some problems kicking in when we are talking about nearly 50.

And don't forget, we are talking about to get back $100k salary by switching from business to pure-IT, not just about to become a random IT guy to have a stable job. I have seen many IT guys who are still not making $100k even after 10 years of working experience.

Added: by the way, I don't have resource for salary, but one that just pop up in my mind is the PMI salary survey about project management, the median and mean of "5 to 10 years Technique experience in USA" in most categories is around $100k. Maybe this can give you another big picture...?
  • Options
    The point mikelau13 is that you made an assumption based on YOUR opinion and this is what you needed to state. You have no facts, mere assumptions from vague articles you maybe read and that may or may not be credible sources.

You have no idea who the OP is, nor so you know his or her capacity to learn nor their experience.

Someone who was proficient on older technologies is not out-of-the running for learning anything newer.

The forums are filled with anonymous folks, many could easily inflate their salary, who will know? I for one, find it difficult to believe some of the salaries folks claim they earn...however, if they are working in a large metropolitan area, their salary may indeed be as high as claimed. MT is not going to pay out what NY or CA will pay out...even then it depends on location as well as the company.

Your statement to the OP also assumes that he/she will be putting forth absolutely very little effort to reach their goal, and that my friend, is completely NOT how this community works. If the OP has clear goals defined, works to fill any knowledge gaps, and lives in a large metro-area, in five years it may not be a stretch to achieve a high salary.

The point, do not make statements and try to say those statements are facts when they are instead your OPINION.

Even Dave Ramsey comments that folks reach their best earning potential in their 50s, and he has the data to back his statements if you have read his books or listen to his show. In that respect, the 45 y.o. OP can easily achieve a high salary by 55 with experience, effort and the right connections (which applies to any of us).

By all means, take ownership and state that you think the OP is crazy and will fail, others have done just that, But I challenge any statement that is put up as a FACT that the OP will fail due to age.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    np Plantwiz, I see your point, sure I will pay more attention to distinct between fact and opinion in the future.

But... where did I make assumption that OP is putting forth absolutely very little effort? Why I think OP is crazy and will fail? I didn't say any of these nor something close, sorry to say but your attack is so unnecessary and unfair.

Also, don't forget that I was talking about "average"; and of course I have no objection it might work for someone, chance is still there - which is what you have been saying.

Maui asked for a realistic figure of income, many ppl and I were trying to tell him something.

I was talking about "make $100k, on average we are talking about 10 years (study + experience) later", and you are saying "achieve a high salary by 55 with experience, effort and the right connections"

How big is the difference? Comparing with what you have said, what am I doing wrong by telling him the realistic figure is that he might need 10 years (or maybe a bit longer) to achieve? Why you started attacking me like this just because of maybe a very few years different between your statement and my statement?

When I said 10 years, I included the amount of time he will need to spend on education; when you said 10 years, you didn't. Yes there is a gap here, but is this gap really that big that you must start an attack like this?

Maui is now taking an approach that is a mixed of IT + business, which I also mentioned it clear: "... otherwise, if you are aiming to become an full I.T.-only person ....", am I that unrealistic? What am I saying wrong?

And... PMI is not a credible source but Dave Ramsey is...? Vague articles that say older learn slower? I don't want to list N scholarly articles about this type of brain studies, but 50 is definitely an age group that was being categorized as 'old' in many of these studies.

Dude... enough is enough, I feel so sorry that we have been hijacking OP's thread, I gonna stop here. But keep in mind again, I have no problem if you telling people to "work hard you can be successful", Mani of course definitely have a chance; but I was posting to give him some realistic figure and it's what I did; I am open to fair discussion but not to this type of invaluable argue, so please stop this type of unnecessary attack, stop changing my statement when I didn't say something.