Options

Working in security, thinking about business?

5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
So I work in the security field and deal with all aspects of security with most of the emphasis on IT security. I have been thinking of venturing out and was wondering what pitfalls you can identify in the business I am looking into.

I would like to start a business in Access Control security installation as there are very few companies locally that do it.....

-I would like to utilize NFC (or similar technology like SMART CARDS for an all in one access control to doors and computer logins. (NFC enables pin prompt for multifactor auth) and NFC put into “card emulation mode” to be compatible with Kerberos authentication in an enterprise environment.

Any idea on what kind of HUGE obstacles I would encounter?

Any expierence in this?

I am close friends with a few people in management of healthcare businesses and after a long discussion with them they were amazed that this was even possible and would definitely spend the money to implement this security and time saving feature?

It still amazes me that large companies are so ignorant when it comes to security, they act like this is new technology lol

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the biggest hurdle you would have is finding more clients. I have often thought about starting some sort of IT business, but I feel the hardest part would be finding customers.
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    I agree MrAgent,
    Customer acquisition would be expensive. I was thinking about partnering with the state and putting on local security workshops just to get the word out in the beginning. I am a veteran so maybe I could find some help from that side as far as finding local events to speak or present at.

Is funny, anyone I talk to about security that owns a business would love to acquire more security and would be willing to pay for it. The problem is educating people on security!
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would argue that educating people is the biggest challenge in security.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Some states have specific requirements with alarm system installers, and access control may fall in to those categories in certain states. I know for a fact that I could have all the funding and clients I wanted in Louisiana, but if I don't meet state requirements for licensing (including certain amounts of time working with certain levels of systems) then I can't do the work.